FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

1925 Antique Roll Top Desk

<<

crazypotato08

Post Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:22 pm

1925 Antique Roll Top Desk

Hello! I'm new here! Please Admin correct me if I have the wrong category for this post.

I am not a lockpicker. In fact I came to this forum because I was hoping to reach a wide number of people who have seen all sorts of locks. My husband inherited his Great-Grandfathers work desk. It was made in 1925 by M.L Himmel & Sons. The problem is the roll-top lock is missing and nobody in the family recalls what happened to it. I would like to find a replacement, however I cannot for the life of me find out what this type of lock is called. The lock sits flush with the back of the Roll-top and a barrel with the keyhole inserts to the front of the top. What would appear to be brass rods would come out of both sides and would be held in place by little brackets. When the lock engages, two brass rods would engage bolts on both sides of the desk and lock the top. There is no hole or latch on the working surface of the desk that would catch anything from the roll top. I will attach pictures to this post. In addition to the missing lock are two other (present) locks on a small cabinet and the center drawer. If anyone could tell me what kind of key Id be looking for that would be amazing. I understand eBay is a great resource for locks and keys, but seeing that I have no idea what kind of lock ( or even what it looks like) is making this difficult. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks so much!

- Bridget
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

rphillips52

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:33 am

Re: 1925 Antique Roll Top Desk

roll-topXdeskXlocksXUS.jpg
I have not seen the type of lock the OP describes. It is more common on cabinets from northern Europe.
The usual type of roll-top desk lock is readily available from many suppliers in the USA and UK.
The OP's type is now common in a heavier form for industrial roller shutters, e.g. for store fronts.
However, the type was used for roll-top desks in USA, and some of these locks might still be available. Careful measuring of the cut-out space will be needed to find the correct model.
http://www.muffshardware.com/locksandkeys.htm has many old locks, and might be able to help.
http://www.muffshardware.com/rolltop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

rphillips52

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:34 pm

The other two locks are lever locks using flat steel keys. Any competent locksmith should be able to fit keys to those. There might even be a key code stamped on the revolving trunnion that the key goes into, and a locksmith might be able to cut a key to code.
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:20 am

Which country are you in? If you are in the UK which county?

Return to Picking and Decoding of Antique/Vintage Locks