FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need Help Identifying This Interesting Lock...

<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:17 am

Need Help Identifying This Interesting Lock...

Alright so when we moved in a few months ago, I noticed that the lock on our neighbors cellar was rather old and curious looking, very interesting to me. You'll probably laugh, but I just honestly haven't ever seen one like it before. I glance at it from time to time, and oddly enough yesterday the guy who lives there caught me glaring at it and said "I put that on there years ago and forgot the combination, i've been meaning to cut it off and haven't gotten around to it yet."

So I asked him if I could have the lock when it's off, and he said absolutely. I also told him I might be able to get it off without him needing to cut the chain, and i'm going to play with that tomorrow. As you know most combination locks of this 'nature' can be decoded with a feeler gauge, but i've never seen one like this, don't know anything about it, the brand, or if it's vulnerable to the same feeler gauge routine.

So here's my first, "Lock in the Wild." Any help identifying this would be great. As well as any information on potential picking techniques.

As you can see, if the image isn't clear, there are two lines of numbers that divide three levers. Move each lever to the correct position, lock opens of course. So it's a case of a simple three digit combo. I think the lock looks cool, and wouldn't mind throwing it onto my "lock wall" in the living room. Look forward to your insights.

xeo: One day you're gonna come home and find your wife laying in bed naked with a medeco biaxial locking her chastity belt...
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26 am

Re: Need Help Identifying This Interesting Lock...

Late 60's to early 70's bicycle chain lock. Most likely made in Japan and easy to manipulate open. Pull apart on the chains while at the same time rotate the levers one at a time, slowly until they stop. Repeat for the other levers and it will pop open. I think every kid in my neighborhood growing up had one of these on their bikes, and every one of those kids knew how to open everyone else's locks. :shock:
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks so much! I've been aching to know more about it. Very cool, I'll try that technique as well. Very related to the usual methods. I don't have one of these on my wall, now I will.

Funny thing though, seems like the triple lever situation is a bit overcomplicated for kids to lock their bikes. But I guess it removes the risk of them losing a key. Or forgetting three sets of two digits numbers as in standard combination locks. I get it. Thanks again. Would love to figure out the brand somehow.
xeo: One day you're gonna come home and find your wife laying in bed naked with a medeco biaxial locking her chastity belt...
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:50 am

Vintage-Jazz-combination-chain-lock

Found image on Google, It was on Ebay for sale.
The rest of the label was visible in the photo.
"Jazz" may be a model or maker?
Hope this helps.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:13 pm

I think oldbiscuit is right on the money for decoding it.

However, if it's one of the ones that won't work by that method, or if it's too rusty to get any feedback, I guess worst case scenario is sitting there for an hour and trying each of the 1000 possible combinations until it opens. Depending on the number, might not take too long. I'd try simple stuff like his house number (forwards or backwards), or 123, 111, 222, etc before going sequentially through each possible combination. Might get lucky and open it quickly.
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:34 pm

It looks like it might need a good lube first.

WD or something similar.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.

Return to Locks in the Wild