FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old Curtis Steel Blanks

<<

1mrchristopher

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 15, 2014 12:49 am

Old Curtis Steel Blanks

Just about two months ago now, I purchased a van from a retired locksmith, loaded with a Blitz, an Ilco 45, .003 universal pin kit and a good starting inventory of blanks. When I sorted through all of the blanks, I noticed that some of them were an odd color, and out of curiosity I carried one over to the refrigerator, where I have a good sized magnet hanging, and sure enough - steel. So I gathered them up, all Curtis, and put them on a ring, and got them out of the van, so that there was no chance of ever trying to cut them and destroying a good cutting wheel. I wondered if they were meant to be cut with a Curtis clipper, or by some other method. If anybody knows, please share. They are out in the garage right now, but I'll get a picture of them up, and then gladly pass them on if there's any interest. I can't keep everything that I think is cool, heck I already keep too much of it!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu May 15, 2014 6:38 am

Re: Old Curtis Steel Blanks

I have some of those, they also made various colored aluminum blanks. Very lightweight but still hard to cut!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 am

jeffmoss26 wrote:I have some of those, they also made various colored aluminum blanks. Very lightweight but still hard to cut!

Yeah, aluminum gums up the cutters.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Curtis made steel keys for many years and switched to aluminum in various colors. Both of which screws up the cutters. They chose to use both steel and aluminum because it is cheaper than using brass. Many foreign car makers also used steel keys because they were cheaper to make. Not only do they ruin the cutters but also ruin the locks as a steel key wears out the brass pins and wafers like using a saw every time it is inserted and removed. Brass keys and brass pins and wafers wear more evenly when used together. So yes if you have a lot of them you can put them up on ebay someone would buy them if the price is right. I have never liked anything Curtis ever made with the exception of their hand held key clipper not the goofy old one with the huge wheel but the one with levers. I use it to impression old double sided ford keys works great for that. Can impression ignition or truck keys with it in minutes and have a code cut key when done. I have a Exacta Punch for all other cars it is a rock solid machine.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

1mrchristopher

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Oh there aren't more than a half dozen or so, I figured if someone was a Curtis collector they might want them, I'm not even interested in selling them, I just figured I'd pass them on if someone was really keen on them.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Curtis main market was to sell a key duplicator and a carrousel of their blanks to hardware and other stores for quick impulse buyers. Always hated them yet they sold a bunch because they flooded market with them. I suppose there may still be someone that likes them. I do have a bunch of more modern brass Curtis foreign car blanks someone gave me they seem to be just fine.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 15, 2014 6:47 pm

very wise sir removing those steel keys they eat cutting blades

they still make steel keys for some classic autos like the vw bus beetle van but are special order from Germany $35.00 a blank with the vw milled in

just a tit bit of info could not resist :D
<<

1mrchristopher

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 15, 2014 7:17 pm

IIRC one or two were VW, and one was Maserati, but just Curtis, not OEM. I used to drive a Saab 900 which had a steel key for good reason - hardest turning ignition I've ever seen!
<<

1mrchristopher

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 16, 2014 3:35 pm

And here we have some of the finest in key blanks that will rust in your pocket. Image I was wrong about the Maserati key, it's just plain ol' nickel plated brass, so it isn't pictured. It also isn't traveling in the van because I've never even seen a Maserati in person.

Return to Kool Keys