FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help ID this Key

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:49 am

Help ID this Key

Acquired this key from my grandmother's house. There is only one legible marking "41". Does anyone know what this is used for?

The key is 7 inches long and 1.5 inches high.

Picture 260.jpg

Picture 261.jpg

Picture 262.jpg

Picture 263.jpg

Picture 264.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Help ID this Key

Many of the old sewing machines that had desks attached to them had similar keys they might be smaller thou I'll look at my mothers this afternoon while visiting .
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 am

I have no idea which key it is...

But look at it... Is it a coincidence that the bitting reminds me of a cat paw?? :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:08 am

It looks to me like a warded lock key. The deep, but thin, cuts in the blade would be where the wards fit. The 7" length makes me think of either a door or some of the old wooden chests with the lock mounted way inside.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

escher7

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Wild guesses:
- 7" is quite big, suggesting it had to go through a thick door or gate.
- design is not sophisticated, i.e. not hollow, no turnings etc. Probably used by common folk. Could almost be hand made.
- The end profile suggests an unusual keyway as the "club" shape wouldn't go through the normal slot.
- Could be either a warded or simple lever lock.
Did it come from "offshore"? Was grandma born elsewhere and maybe brought the key?
On browsing the web I see hooked ends at the bit end, which provide additional warding by restricting the keyway, but not solid "clubs" like this one which doesn't really seem to function as warding so much as maybe having something to do with the actual locking mechanism. That's why I don't think the lock would be a simple warded lock. The rounded parts of the bitting are likely involved in lifting some sort of levers.
As I said: wild guesses.
P.S. The more I look at this key the more it looks hand forged, except for the stamped number. Maybe hand made in a small shop somewhere.

Return to Kool Keys