FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Anodised keys

<<

nemop3

Post Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:11 pm

Anodised keys

Collecting a number of keys for different properties, I can slim them down a bunch to just the front door entry keys, but if I colour code them with silicone tabs it doubles their thickness.

My view was then simply cut them from a coloured or patterned key, but not all keys can be.

So I then came up with the idea to anodise them, but this process is expensive and can only be applied to aluminium keys.

It's about £60-£80 for one process, but if each key is to be a different colour then it isn't economical. I checked online and there are a number of caustic chemical used, with varying results, so I'd prefer to get it done commercially.

Any ideas on anodising, or perhaps electroplating ?
<<

Visitor

Post Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:25 am

Re: Anodised keys

Anodising can easily and safely be done at home without issue. If you would prefer not to do it you can degrease your keys and use spray paint.
You can of course use already anodised keys but as you touch on in your post they are normally aluminium and quite weak in comparison to normal keys.
<<

nemop3

Post Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:00 pm

I actually came across these patterned and coloured keys, but they were about £10 a pop (which included cutting) and only for use with some of my keys:

patternedKeys.png

I may look into anodising, but I was initially put off by the chemicals and the process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

nemop3

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:44 pm

I was told today that attempting to colour an Asec key would be dangerous as the groove pattern was so thin that it would simply split off.

Given the harsh chemical involved in anodysing, would a common Asec pattern survive ?

Would it be best to so this before cutting, with the tradeoff being that the cut area would not be coloured ?
<<

Visitor

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:01 am

Ive never had any problems with thin stuff, annodising hardens the material being coloured as well so probably less likey to break. If youre that worried put some tape around the blade and just annodise the heads. The 'chemicals' really aren't that harsh, especially when you consider what some people get up to in there living rooms. It's just battery acid that you can buy from most garages.
<<

nemop3

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:35 am

I'm much prefer to completely colour the key.

So there's no structural difference between anodising before (blank) or after (cut) ?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:58 am

If you read visitors post directly above yours, he states that anodizing hardens the material as well as colors it.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Kool Keys