FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need a new torch...

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Need a new torch...

... That's Flashlight to the Americans out there :P

I'm currently using a big Maglite at my desk, and a small one in my computer repair kit / tools bag. I'm looking for a new torch that is:

Small - needs to be part of an EDC. Should fit in a small man-bag or pocket ideally
Bright - the brighter the better. I know there are some amazing LED and Krypton-Argon-Plutonium-Whatever torches around these days that are tiny and put out like 1M CP or something crazy
Clear - Preferably clear, crisp, white light, not that nasty yellow stuff you get from crap torches
Hard Wearing / Heave Duty - Should be able to stand up to knocks, scrapes, falls, water (ideally submersion but splash proof would be OK)
Long battery life - Yes, I know that runs contrary to "bright", but at least a semi-reasonable battery length please. I've had massive 10M CP flashlights that take lead acid batteries and last for 20 mins (5 mins max duty cycle) with 20 hour charge times. Clearly that wouldn't be ideal in this situation :P

Not sure if I can fit all that into one torch - let me know! I'm not going to say "money is no object", but I don't have a set budget in mind. I'm the type who'd rather pay a lot for a decent product upfront than keep replacing cheap crap every time it breaks.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Need a new torch...

If you're just comparing specs on paper, these probably aren't the absolute brightest on the market, nor the absolute longest battery life, but their lights do use current LED tech and are very bright. They also tend to be very solidly built and worth the price. I own several different lights that they carry and I've been happy with all of them and given them as gifts.

On the left side of the page there is a link to the lights, you can select according to battery type.
http://countycomm.com/whatsnew.html

The index at the left sometimes misses things so I'd also scroll down the main page on that link. It'll also list some sale items and lights with other battery sizes besides AA and AAA.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:15 am

I don't know what your small maglite means but the newest one I have is the 2 AAA cell type and It's almost too bright for me and even brighter than the 2 AA mag...It comes in the package about the way you are requesting...Mine was $15 at home depot...Just another idea to consider. :mrgreen:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:19 am

MBI wrote:If you're just comparing specs on paper, these probably aren't the absolute brightest on the market, nor the absolute longest battery life, but their lights do use current LED tech and are very bright. They also tend to be very solidly built and worth the price. I own several different lights that they carry and I've been happy with all of them and given them as gifts.

On the left side of the page there is a link to the lights, you can select according to battery type.
http://countycomm.com/whatsnew.html

The index at the left sometimes misses things so I'd also scroll down the main page on that link. It'll also list some sale items and lights with other battery sizes besides AA and AAA.

Looks nice! Unfortunately they don't ship to the UK - well, the kinda do, I'd have to buy it through an intermediate service which would ship it on to the UK. Which isn't TOO much hassle but the less links in the chain, especially unconnected links, the better. Also - shipping from the US at this time of year :/. I've already been waiting 3 weeks for a padlock...

Thanks for the recommendation though, I'll see if I can source any of their products here in the UK, and if not, at least there's always that Intl option :).

just1pick+open - Both my maglites are the old style with an actual bulb rather than the new LED ones, my first thought was to get a new maglight but I just figured by now there would be better options out there, I've stumbled across some really awesome looking torches in my Internet travels but I'll need to start digging up links again to figure out what, where and how. Nevertheless, Maglites are always an option
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:46 am

One word - CREE for me have two of these strongest light led bulb in the world - WITH ZOOM
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Personally use the Streamlight Strion HL. Extremely bright, battery lasts a long time, LED, very rugged. Only downside is that it does not use standard over the counter batteries. Have four of them now. Pricey, but it is very solid.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:14 pm

The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:19 am

Hmm, for some reason I'm not getting emailed notifications.. Wondering if Quick Reply doesn't toggle the instant notifications...

Anyway, thank you all for the input :D. I ended up going with a SureFire P1R Peacekeeper (nightmare to get hold of in the UK), but as that's for EDC I still need a bright torch for the desk and maybe another small one for my toolkit - I've opened tabs for foursevens and the Strion, so I'll take a look into those in more depth. Thanks again :D
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:21 am

LocksportSouth wrote:Hmm, for some reason I'm not getting emailed notifications.. Wondering if Quick Reply doesn't toggle the instant notifications...

Anyway, thank you all for the input :D. I ended up going with a SureFire P1R Peacekeeper (nightmare to get hold of in the UK), but as that's for EDC I still need a bright torch for the desk and maybe another small one for my toolkit - I've opened tabs for foursevens and the Strion, so I'll take a look into those in more depth. Thanks again :D

There is currently a small issue with the system that sends out notifications so you will have to check in.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:01 pm

LocksportSouth wrote:Hmm, for some reason I'm not getting emailed notifications.. Wondering if Quick Reply doesn't toggle the instant notifications...

Not heard of the sure fire - only the ultra fire both use the cree led in the business end xml - xml2
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:46 pm

10ringo10 wrote:Not heard of the sure fire - only the ultra fire both use the cree led in the business end xml - xml2

I did some research and in the flashlight "fandom" (for lack of a better word) the SureFire brand seem to have a good reputation. Apparently it uses the Cree XML2 :)
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Yeah, SureFire is good. They sort of started the "tactical flashlight" trend back in the early 90s, but you pay a lot for the name. You can get stuff every bit as good for half the price if you don't care about the brand name. You just have to be careful or ask people with experience when you dive into generic brands as some are good, others... not so much.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:49 pm

That makes sense :). I've signed up to CandlePower forums, there seems to be some cool stuff out there.... Right, because I need ANOTHER hobby to drain any spare funds :).
I did also pick up a Foursevens Quark Pro QP2L for my Girlfriend's bag (kinda EDC I guess), still debating a main desk torch. I'm quite attracted to the FourSevens Maelstrom MMU-X3R as it's very bright and rechargeable, though I'm not sure since it's using a US plug whether it's a switching power supply (and thus I'd be able to plug it into UK 230v mains with a regular travel adaptor) or whether I'd need a bulky and expensive step-down transformer. Though it's input is micro USB, oddly, so it might be standard 5V (I think?) in, not been able to confirm that though..
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:47 am

I EDC a Fenix LD10 on my keychain that I have have thrown around/abused for about 3 years or so. Excellent light.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:50 am

I carried a Fenix LD01 for 5-6 years until it finally died. I now carry a Fenix LD02 which has a pushbutton switch on the end.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
Next

Return to Survival