FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key casting with toothpaste and talc prison trick

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:28 am

Key casting with toothpaste and talc prison trick

Well I've never tried this but it's been proven to work useing a low melting point metal alloy
Toothpaste and talc putty used for casting a key see vid
Prisoner trick that does work tested with a alloy .....sure maybe It needed a bit of vibration at the end :BESTh:
but that's tested and ago in my books may be try this yourself and report back with your own
Results on the doe's and don'ts given different key profiles
Interesting all the same .. ingenious idea For a emergency key
Maybe for a restricted profile you have never been able to find a blank for in a lock collection
that you want a copy of just incase , looks alot of fun so it's in the key making section on forum

https://youtu.be/F5S75et8SRs
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:42 am

Re: Key casting with toothpaste and talc prison trick

I haven't watched the video but am aware of the incident it refers to.
In the real world we have much better materials to hand for simular outcomes, modeling clay works OK and I've used plaster of Paris myself to make lead impressioning keys.
If you allow your mind to accept out of the norm methods and materials for opening locks and ignore mainstream methods you find yourself having much more fun and sometimes find better ways of doing things.

It often takes someone that has no idea and never played with locks to come up with simple effective methods with no constraints and when you're in jail you will try anything. Ingenuity at its best.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:34 am

We've Casted parts which had broken or where otherwise shot very successfully over the years
But is a throw away age we live in today
One part breaks it goes in the bin reason I've still got a forge and furnace as not all parts can be purchased
Love the 3d printing and casting process ...real exciting stuff if you go down this path
<<

Visitor

Post Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:20 am

Yes, played a little with 3d print formers but not for lock parts. I've just got rid of all my casting stuff as im moving house but have always fancied an induction heater with bowl for smaller parts and hardening jobs.

You are 100% right that its a throw away society now, gone are our days of repairing everything and everything, the newer generations don't even have the skills or knowhow to even change a fuse in a plug. People are amazed when I repair locking strips in front of them instead of just installing a new one.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:46 pm

Watching the video, I had to chuckle. I have woods metal and rose metal for casting. I even have the silicone ice cube trays to make the casting cubes. (I use them to make fish food ice cubes for some tiny fish, to make it easier to portion food for them).

I'm going to give it a shot.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Key Making