FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cutting Schlage Everest on a 1200

<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:41 am

Cutting Schlage Everest on a 1200

Any tips? I don't run into Everest stuff very often, but when I do it sounds really bad on my 1200. The Schlage Everest service manual ( https://us.allegion.com/content/dam/all ... 108484.pdf Page 14) says to use card C45 on the HPC 1200CM (which is just the regular Schlage card and lists cutter CW-14MC) but the Schlage Everest manual also says "Use of cutting wheel CW-14MC is not recommended." Unfortunately, I can't find any recommendation on what wheel to use instead and nothing obvious comes to mind. Any ideas, or is that just Schlage's really cryptic way of suggesting I buy a blue punch?
Thanks!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: Cutting Schlage Everest on a 1200

we just use the normal Schlage card and cutter. Go slow, nickel silver blanks are hard
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:32 pm

Noted. The issue I have is that even when I go slow, it seems to cut normally but will periodically make a really harsh snapping sound, almost as though it's cutting in chunks instead of smoothly/steadily grinding. I use the A jaw and a shim on the top that I'm convinced helps, but to be honest I'm not sure it's significantly better than it is without the shim. Fwiw, I don't have any problems cutting Medeco, but I do recall having had similar issues with weird blanks that I couldn't get clamped quite right, which is why I tried using a shim and playing around with different ways to clamp it. The automatic duplicator plows right through them without any issues, it's really just the 1200 that I have problems with.
<<

padmin

Post Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:05 pm

I've noticed that chipping sound when cutting keys with my 1200 that don't have a lot of metal contacting the jaws, especially with keyways like A1001GRM and A1114FM. When cutting these, I've resorted to using a piece #12 or #14 copper wire as a shim in the groove(s) of the keyway to quiet the cutter down. Not sure how/if that would work with an Everest sidebar slot though...
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:49 am

Yes, chipping, that's a great way to describe what I'm experiencing! I have a flat safe blank I've cut just past all 9's that I use to hold best premium, and I tried a similar trick with the Everest but it didn't seem to change anything. I'll have to try wire though. Going painfully slow does seem to minimize the harshness of the sound, but it doesn't eliminate it no matter how comically slow I go.

Return to Key Making