FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need help with specific key bitting

<<

GhostDog98

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Need help with specific key bitting

I need some people to measure thier abus 72/40 keys and scan it, then overlay with the bitting. (like so: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... sdafvb.png )

If you guys can do this then i'll +rep you or somthin.... lol

Edit: Thanks for the replys and reccomendations, closed for now
Last edited by GhostDog98 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Re: Need help with specific key bitting

What is the purpose of this?

I will say that measuring the peaks between the valley cuts should not be relevant to the key cuts.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:55 pm

curious... I was going to post a link to depth/spacing chart, but can't seem to find one for Abus aside from the Vitess high security locks. Also found a reddit post that suggested the Abus 72 series uses non-standard pins (.095"). Kinda surprised as these are advertised as rekeyable... I'm getting the impression this is a protected system. Can anyone shed some light on this one?
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:26 am

Hi GhostDog98. I don't have any of these locks but if you head over to UKLS there is a sort of subgroup of guys who are into the Abus 72 series locks and can probably help.

Please be advised that we're a very friendly and helpful group but one of our traditions is to introduce yourself with your first post. If you do this and then start a separate thread describing what you're working on and what you need, you'll probably get quite a bit of help. OTOH if your first post is a blunt demand like this one I'll ban you myself.

Best wishes and good luck with your project,

Michael.
<<

GhostDog98

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:56 am

madsamurai wrote:curious... I was going to post a link to depth/spacing chart, but can't seem to find one for Abus aside from the Vitess high security locks. Also found a reddit post that suggested the Abus 72 series uses non-standard pins (.095"). Kinda surprised as these are advertised as rekeyable... I'm getting the impression this is a protected system. Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Thats why i am doing this
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 am

https://youtu.be/JbX4xJ3wrLo
I've never had to pin an Abus padlock other than the 83AL/45 Schlage. This kit has part numbers and sizes, But I have know idea if you could use it for your padlock.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:52 pm

The closest I can find to the measurements you gave is the bitting specs for the Abus 36/55 Granite. This was before the Granite series went to the Plus (disc detainer) keys.

If you look at the HPC DSD Listing (sorted by manufacturer ), it is at the bottom of the very first page. Which is good, because the entire listing is quite a few pages long. As in 201 pages. Pretty handy list.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Gordon

P.S. Hope I did not come across too sharply above when I asked what this was for. Was not worried about any nefarious intent on your part, was just wondering if I was should the spend time trying to find the info.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Key Making