FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Schlage Keyway question

<<

Rover97

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Schlage Keyway question

Hello there, I came to this forum for a bit of knowledge. I hope some of yall can enlighten me in my predicament here. I have a set of locks I was given as my old company was throwing them out. Well I got a total of 4 old Schlage brass padlocks but only a couple of keys (all they had) One is a master key to all four locks and the other is a sub master type that only fits three locks. I went to a couple of local locksmiths to try to get the keys cut and they said I needed a 48-101 key blank with a 1358 keyway. Well I can find a key blank online through one of these large parts warehouses that is either a 48-101 blank and a 1358 blank but none of them have pictures. There is a 35-101 blank with a 1358 keyway but Im not sure how the Schlage key systems work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sure it would just be easier to rekey all the locks but what fun would that be?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Schlage Keyway question

The four-number blanks are restricted.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

hipu

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:32 pm

The 48-101 blank, I believe, is just a 6 pin blank type. Knowing this forum, I'm gonna be corrected swiftly if that's wrong.

The 1358 keyway is a schlage numbered restricted keyway, and you're probably not gonna be finding any blanks on some shop online.
viewtopic.php?f=116&t=10252
<<

hipu

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Welcome to keypicking, by the way!
<<

Rover97

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:26 am

The guy at Schlage told me the keyway was restricted but I was kind of hoping to find some off hand shop that might have a few blanks for it. I have a total of three keys right now but it would be nice to have a few spares just in case.... The locks originally came from a private country club that was owned by an oil company for many years. When the oil company went out of business in the late 80s the property changed hands many times and now its owned by several private investors. I'm going to try to see if my old company will endorse the Letter of Authorization and just sign the whole system over to me. I know the current owners pretty well so they might be able to help me out with this but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around here to see if anyone had any more info before I went to talk to them. Im also 500 miles away right now so its going to be a few months before I go back. I really like the idea of the restricted keys, even if they are just going to be used at my farm. Thanks for the welcome! I want to get into hobby lock picking because I have always loved locks and keys and I have a little more time now. Can anyone recommend a good set of inexpensive lockpicks and maybe a good book on the subject?
Bradley
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 am

Ilco makes blanks for some of the quad keyways. They are restricted but not patented.
However, 1358 is not one of the ones they make.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to Key Making