FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My first cylinder!!!

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:50 pm

My first cylinder!!!

I got a cylinder today! 6-pin, I think the logo says G w/ and L inside the G. I'm pretty sure it's for a interchangeable door knob. I got it brand new in package for $5!!! There's a downside.....I am never allowed to go to the lockshop ever again. :x I guess I'm off to walmart...... :D

Pics up soon! (prolly in 2-3 hours)
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: My first cylinder!!!

Ok, cough it up Jingles....what did you do? Did you get banned or what?
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:55 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:Ok, cough it up Jingles....what did you do? Did you get banned or what?

Nope, the locksmith drives the free candy van and my mom thinks he is a pedophile. :evil:
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:04 pm

Jinglesanator wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:Ok, cough it up Jingles....what did you do? Did you get banned or what?

Nope, the locksmith drives the free candy van and my mom thinks he is a pedophile. :evil:

I guess that means no free candy for you either...bummer.
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Jinglesanator wrote:

Oh that's class! (LOL)
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Picture time!!!

newcylinder 006.jpg

newcylinder 005.jpg

newcylinder 004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 pm

schlage sc1 keyway.
count the cuts on your key ,i think you will find the last chamber is empty...
otherwise, it would be an sc4 (i have hand filled to many of these to count....)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:20 am

awol70 wrote:schlage sc1 keyway.
otherwise, it would be an sc4 (i have hand filled to many of these to count....)

I think you're right, the last one is empty, I've slowly raked and only heard 5 clicks. Thanks for telling me the brand!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Jinglesanator wrote:

I think you're right, the last one is empty, I've slowly raked and only heard 5 clicks. Thanks for telling me the brand!

Oops, it does have 6 pins, just wished I knew how to open it to see what pins were inside.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:04 pm

Jinglesanator wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:

Oops, it does have 6 pins, just wished I knew how to open it to see what pins were inside.

I can't see from the pictures, but it'll either be a retainer clip thingy or a screw cap thingy. (Hallis sent me one with a screw cap thing on the back)

Depending on what it is, you just take that off, take a small shim (can be made out of a coke can) and since you have the key, slide the shim all the way up between the pins. Then, pull the cylinder out.

Oops, I forgot to say, you'll need a follower. For a cheep follower, go to home depot and get a long, thick, industrial nail. Make sure it's one of the smooth stainless ones. Then, cut the tip off of it, and then cut up from that about the length of your cylinder, plus a half. Then, bam, instant follower. That is, assuming the nail fits your lock. :P

I personally just took my Krypto bible in and found a nail to fit. I looked kinda funny because I kept it in my chest pocket, making me look like I had some weird gorilla nipple, but hey, it worked.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 pm

m0ose wrote: I looked kinda funny because I kept it in my chest pocket, making me look like I had some weird gorilla nipple, but hey, it worked.

Mo0se...you'd still look funny whether you had one gorilla nipple or two. Damn, you're making this too easy, man.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:40 pm

m0ose wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:

I can't see from the pictures, but it'll either be a retainer clip thingy or a screw cap thingy. (Hallis sent me one with a screw cap thing on the back)

Depending on what it is, you just take that off, take a small shim (can be made out of a coke can) and since you have the key, slide the shim all the way up between the pins. Then, pull the cylinder out.

Oops, I forgot to say, you'll need a follower. For a cheep follower, go to home depot and get a long, thick, industrial nail. Make sure it's one of the smooth stainless ones. Then, cut the tip off of it, and then cut up from that about the length of your cylinder, plus a half. Then, bam, instant follower. That is, assuming the nail fits your lock. :P

I personally just took my Krypto bible in and found a nail to fit. I looked kinda funny because I kept it in my chest pocket, making me look like I had some weird gorilla nipple, but hey, it worked.

Would a pen work? I think I've seen someone use a pen as a follower, but do you unlock the cylinder with the key then shim it? Or do you just put the key in?
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Jinglesanator wrote:
m0ose wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:

Would a pen work? I think I've seen someone use a pen as a follower, but do you unlock the cylinder with the key then shim it? Or do you just put the key in?

When you shim, you are only separating the top pins and making sure that they don't fall once you swap out the cylinder for the follower. If you have a key, to make your life easier you can try and do a slight turn. This would make the top pins ride on the side of the cylinder, and if there is a notch on the side of the cylinder, they could fall into that. Not sure about the chances of your cylinder having a notch or anything of that nature, but I've heard of them being present, so the most you should do is about the one o'clock until you know for sure.

I've never shimmed a lock I had the key for, so do note that I'm not 100% sure how well the shim will slide under the top pins. I'm guessing it will work, but honestly, trial and error is key.

As for a pen as a follower, sure, if your bible is small enough, or your pen is big enough. You want your follower to be big enough to hold the pins in their place, and the general rule is that your follower should be the same, or slightly smaller, than your cylinder. A personal preference of mine is that my follower must always be able to slip out the front and back of the housing. If not, I just don't like it. But hey, that's just preference.

Good luck and remember, if at first your lock explodes, fix it!

Return to Random Banter