FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Interview!

<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:29 am

Interview!

I'm so excited! I got my first interview! It's for a unionized produce store. It's between me and three other people. I've got the first appointment of the day so we'll see how it goes! I guess that their union makes a min payment of like $8 something or so, so that will be juicy. :D

Any suggestions before I head out into the world? :P
<<

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Interview!

We're all rooting for you bro
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:26 am

Thanks you two! I'm more excited then nervous. That morning we are switching my working papers so I can work like a dog, so I can do anything they want that's non-hazardous. :P I can't wait to give it a whirl! :P
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:59 am

SpaceyStacey wrote:That enthusiasm you are showing now - KEEP IT. :-) I personally have hired someone with fewer qualifications because they showed enthusiasm that the other candidates didnt. Never regreted my decision either. Skills can be learned, but enthusiasm, willingness to work ect cant be taught.

Oh, and dress in a shirt/tie/slacks too - even if it is for a produce store. Shows you respect thier business and are taking it seriously. :-)

Now I am getting excited for you too! hahah

Great, now you've got me nervous. I don't really have clothes to look really great in. Like I've got slacks but not a shirt and a tie that would work. I don't know. I'm nervous. I could wear my maroonish color tee that looks more casual then back country hick. :P I was just going to wear black jeans with a dark blue tee and tuck that son of a gun in, but now you've got me worried! :P
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:41 am

SpaceyStacey wrote:hehehe - dont be worried! :-) If you HAVE a button up shirt wear that and tuck it in nice. Just make sure it is neat and tidy oh and that it FITS. If you dont have a tie - dont worry, just wear what you have. The key is, make sure what you wear is clean, not wrinkly and very tidy. Make sure you brush your hair etc.. :-) You are a boy - so I am saying things that maybe obvious here. hehehe.

You will FINE! Like I said - the most important thing is enthusiasm for the job. Let them know you will give them thier all. Do what ever they need you to do.. etc. They probably want a "yes man" attitude. :-) Be friendly, coureous and enthusiastic and I dont think you can go wrong.

Thanks. :D I decided, I'm going to go in full hunting camo witha bright orange hat and flip the (Finger) to the man! ;)

Kidding.

But seriously, I wrote up a resume and I'm going to wear my "casual" pants and my best shirt, even though it is maroon. :P

Here's a copy of my resume, it's the best I can do without previous work experience. But yeah, I can't wait! :D

Plus, I am curious as to the pay, but I refuse to ask. I hear it's bad to ask about time off, pay, and so forth in an interview. It makes the interviewer feel you aren't there for the job so much as the money I guess.

But yeah, I even learned how to work a Spreadsheet today to make sure I can balance all of my own money and so forth. Plus, if I work 40 hours at even $8, which, it may be more I hear, it gives me a nice check each week so I can start saving up so I can buy one of these. :P

97geotracker.jpg

But yeah, here's a copy of my resume. :P

Branden ----
(---) --------
----- ----- ------ Road
-----, NY -----
Branden----@gmail.com

Summary of Qualifications

Dedicated to providing the utmost quality while fulfilling daily requirements.
Demonstrates ability to meet the needs of patrons, dependable, hard working, reliable, and punctual.
Uses clear, concise communication skills in conjunction with organizational skills to perform daily tasks.
Works well as a team member or independently.
Resourceful, energetic, competent, multi-task and results-oriented.

Education

High school, Home Schooled Graduate
Home Schooled,
---, New York

Home Schooled by choice and Graduated in Spring '08.

Diploma, Locksmithing
Foley-Belsaw Institute,
Kansas City, Missouri

Currently working to finish final Diploma in Advanced Locksmithing from the Foley-Belsaw Institute.

Skills

·Quality Control

·Cleanliness Concerned

·Dedicated to Customer Service

·Teamwork Oriented

·Willingness to Learn

·Problem Solving

·Critical Thinking
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Ok, you have listed your skills, now give a personal example of how you have used those skills to overcome a problem.

I know it's just a produce job, but if you show a personal example of how you have applied each of these skills in a particular situation, it shows the employer that (i) aside form making a list - you have applied each of these listed skillsets in a actual situation, (ii) it allows you to showcase a particular talent that you may have, such as problem solving.

Give an example of your most perplexing challenge that you encountered in your Foley-Belsaw course - such as the most difficult assignment you may have had and how you solved the issue.

It's easy to make a list of skills - (e.g. full time brain surgeon, part time nuclear physicist, amateur rocket scientist) but you need to show case your skills. You're not selling the steak, you are selling the sizzle! Promote yourself. If you can do all that, give an example: "While operating on a patient to remove a brain tumor, I just happened to remember that I can split subatomic particles with a laser more easily in a vacuum - so it occured to me that if we could build a rocket with a portable surgical theater, we could operate on patients - in space, and use a laser to remove all of the malignant subatomic brain cells in the patient's tumor."

Now that is a goddamn resume my friend!

And don't limit yourself to just the position that is being offered. Let them know that you are a team player and you'll be willing to do anything just for the opportunity to work there - you'll sweep floors, empty trash cans, work late, whatever it takes.

Who knows, they may look at your resume and say: "Hey wait a minute - you're taking a course in locksmithing? Well we may need someone to help our maitenance guy in doing some light carpentry and electrical work around the shop. Would you be interested?"

That scenario could open the door into acquiring the necessary woodworking, electrical, and mechanical skills to later help you when installing doorlocks or electrical door locking mechanisms.

Also, don't get all fancy with your resume and make it all cutesy with little cartoons and pictures of puppies.

Employers are very busy, and are looking for serious candidates. Their time is limited so give them the bullet points in your resume in a concise manner.

Don't be a goofball - but then again don't be a poster boy for manic depression. Just be cool, pay attention, take notes, and most of all - be honest. Never overinflate your intelligence or your ego.

Bottom line, you need them, they don't need you. They can always hire the guy in line behind you.
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:19 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:Ok, you have listed your skills, now give a personal example of how you have used those skills to overcome a problem.

I know it's just a produce job, but if you show a personal example of how you have applied each of these skills in a particular situation, it shows the employer that (i) aside form making a list - you have applied each of these listed skillsets in a actual situation, (ii) it allows you to showcase a particular talent that you may have, such as problem solving.

Give an example of your most perplexing challenge that you encountered in your Foley-Belsaw course - such as the most difficult assignment you may have had and how you solved the issue.

It's easy to make a list of skills - (e.g. full time brain surgeon, part time nuclear physicist, amateur rocket scientist) but you need to show case your skills. You're not selling the steak, you are selling the sizzle! Promote yourself. If you can do all that, give an example: "While operating on a patient to remove a brain tumor, I just happened to remember that I can split subatomic particles with a laser more easily in a vacuum - so it occured to me that if we could build a rocket with a portable surgical theater, we could operate on patients - in space, and use a laser to remove all of the malignant subatomic brain cells in the patient's tumor."

Now that is a goddamn resume my friend!

And don't limit yourself to just the position that is being offered. Let them know that you are a team player and you'll be willing to do anything just for the opportunity to work there - you'll sweep floors, empty trash cans, work late, whatever it takes.

Who knows, they may look at your resume and say: "Hey wait a minute - you're taking a course in locksmithing? Well we may need someone to help our maitenance guy in doing some light carpentry and electrical work around the shop. Would you be interested?"

That scenario could open the door into acquiring the necessary woodworking, electrical, and mechanical skills to later help you when installing doorlocks or electrical door locking mechanisms.

Also, don't get all fancy with your resume and make it all cutesy with little cartoons and pictures of puppies.

Employers are very busy, and are looking for serious candidates. Their time is limited so give them the bullet points in your resume in a concise manner.

Don't be a goofball - but then again don't be a poster boy for manic depression. Just be cool, pay attention, take notes, and most of all - be honest. Never overinflate your intelligence or your ego.

Bottom line, you need them, they don't need you. They can always hire the guy in line behind you.

Ah, I see. So how would I go about doing that exactly? Should I make the Resume more then one page or what? Right now it takes up pretty much exactly a page and I heard that it's better to say it short and sweet to explain later then run on and on and take away from the important points. Except I just don't know how to meet at the middle.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:38 pm

m0ose wrote:Any suggestions before I head out into the world? :P

If it is a girl interviewing you, keep your eyes on her face... ;)

wait... for you, if it is a guy or a girl keep your eyes in their face (LOL)
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Josh wrote:
m0ose wrote:Any suggestions before I head out into the world? :P

If it is a girl interviewing you, keep your eyes on her face... ;)

wait... for you, if it is a guy or a girl keep your eyes in their face (LOL)

Totally, however Joshypoo, if it were you it's be soo hard! (Finger)
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Typically, the recommended length for a resume is 1 to 1-1/2 pages. You have to keep your info concise - but detailed. Sounds stupid doesnt it?

For example, if you say you are a team player and are a critical thinker that's dedicated to customer service, give an example. Such as:

"While working and listening to my associates and their problems, I was able to provide suggestions to my supervisor on how to improve the overall efficiency of the checkout process by pre-staging the most commonly used tools in a centralized location within the wharehouse, allowing us to quickly address our customer's concerns and streamline the checkout process."

That shows you (i) listen to your teammates, (ii) you're thinking ahead on how to solve a problem, (iii) you are willing to step up and offer a solution, and (iv) all while thinking about providing customer satisfaction.

Since your previous work experience is limited, you have to make up for it in enthusiasm. Show that you are willing to learn and offer up solutions to a problem. Employers don't want a bunch of whiners, belly-aching about the pay, hard work, long hours, etc. They want a worker that is loyal, is thinking fast on his feet and when confronted by a problem, tries to offer up a solution - instead of bitching.

Besides, you better get that job pretty damn soon so you can start paying taxes to fund my Social Security, you lazy bastard.
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Pleased for ya man!
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:43 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:Typically, the recommended length for a resume is 1 to 1-1/2 pages. You have to keep your info concise - but detailed. Sounds stupid doesnt it?

For example, if you say you are a team player and are a critical thinker that's dedicated to customer service, give an example. Such as:

"While working and listening to my associates and their problems, I was able to provide suggestions to my supervisor on how to improve the overall efficiency of the checkout process by pre-staging the most commonly used tools in a centralized location within the wharehouse, allowing us to quickly address our customer's concerns and streamline the checkout process."

That shows you (i) listen to your teammates, (ii) you're thinking ahead on how to solve a problem, (iii) you are willing to step up and offer a solution, and (iv) all while thinking about providing customer satisfaction.

Since your previous work experience is limited, you have to make up for it in enthusiasm. Show that you are willing to learn and offer up solutions to a problem. Employers don't want a bunch of whiners, belly-aching about the pay, hard work, long hours, etc. They want a worker that is loyal, is thinking fast on his feet and when confronted by a problem, tries to offer up a solution - instead of bitching.

Besides, you better get that job pretty damn soon so you can start paying taxes to fund my Social Security, you lazy bastard.

Ah, got ya, but also, for a job such as this, would it be passable to just show up and have my attitude and verbalism speak for itself? At this point I can't think of how I would put it on paper and still keep it short and to the point yet detailed. I'm more excited then nervous, and for some reason I already feel I have the job. I'm not trying to be cocky, but for some reason like I feel no nerves, just excitement.

Also, thanks Bender. :D
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:26 pm

If you are confident enought to talk shit like a carnival barker, then have at it. That's the greatest skill of all - to be able to think and talk on your feet and size up your audience - which in this case is the boss.

Let's face it, we're not talking about working at the f***king Pentagon - you'll be working with vegetables and produce, even though I personally think your garden variety celery stalk has more brains and integrity than any of these f***ked up politicians and gas bags in Washington, DC.

But, I digress.

Just be cool and enthusiastic. Your interviewer probably goes through this scenario every summer, so take advantage of his/her lowered expectations by outshining everybody else. And learn how to shake hands like a professional - no fist bumping like a brutha, or a dead salmon hand shake.

Give the guy a firm grip and shake hands. Don't pump his arm like a jack handle - just a firm squeeze and look him in the eye. If it's a woman interviewing you, just take her hand a give her a firm - but not ham fisted shake.

Let me tell you, you may think it's bullshit, but a lot of people will make an initial impression of you just by your handshake. If you throw your hand out there like a cold jelly donut, people will think you're a pussy or some weak little turd.

Stay frosty. 8-)
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:35 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:If you are confident enought to talk Sh!t like a carnival barker, then have at it. That's the greatest skill of all - to be able to think and talk on your feet and size up your audience - which in this case is the boss.

Let's face it, we're not talking about working at the f***king Pentagon - you'll be working with vegetables and produce, even though I personally think your garden variety celery stalk has more brains and integrity than any of these f***ked up politicians and gas bags in Washington, DC.

But, I digress.

Just be cool and enthusiastic. Your interviewer probably goes through this scenario every summer, so take advantage of his/her lowered expectations by outshining everybody else. And learn how to shake hands like a professional - no fist bumping like a brutha, or a dead salmon hand shake.

Give the guy a firm grip and shake hands. Don't pump his arm like a jack handle - just a firm squeeze and look him in the eye. If it's a woman interviewing you, just take her hand a give her a firm - but not ham fisted shake.

Let me tell you, you may think it's bullshit, but a lot of people will make an initial impression of you just by your handshake. If you throw your hand out there like a cold jelly donut, people will think you're a pussy or some weak little turd.

Stay frosty. 8-)

I agree on the hand shakes! I hate when those limp wristed fagots give me two fingers and a thumb! But I also hate those wanna be Hercules try and smash my fingers! I may not be a sissy, but what the fez?! Can we not try and out force the other? I'm just here to say hi!

But yeah, that shit pisses me off. :P
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:30 am

Don't be late!
Next

Return to Random Banter