FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

So what do I do?

<<

m0ose

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:47 am

So what do I do?

Well, here's the story.

My parents are going through a divorce. I have two brother, one older and one younger. My older brother is a full-time student, my younger, going into the third grade.

My mother is super depressed, and I'm the only one who supports her. I talk her down I cheer her up, and I even rub her back when her back hurts.

My father is a hard working man who is sometimes a bit... off track... and doesn't do things perfect I guess you could say.

So they are fed up with each other and splitting. My mom says it's because of his abuse, my father, because he can't stand her. Even though he's tried to help fix it multiple times yet she is unwilling to back down.

I out of my two bothers am the only one trying, willing, and prepared to work. Which, I have been trying to get a job for a while now, but to no avail due to my age and places not needing help.

My mom has sold things on Ebay and it turned out bad between us. She'd blame me and say I never helped her and she had to wait for me when in reality I was waiting for her to pick what to sell and start writing descriptions, as she's not tech savvy. Well, instead of working with me and writing descriptions and getting stuff prepared, she'd blame me and say how I should go out with camera in hand and ask her what she wanted to sell. If that were the case I'd have to wait for her to find her stuff, grab it out, take pictures, re-size the pictures, write the descriptions, host the images to get around them costing more and then posting the listing, then print out the address and receipts of her transactions. And yes, it's happened before.

So we have fought about it before, as I hate feeling used by my own mother. However she's never learned. So for "the past week" I guess she has been saying that we should get stuff on Ebay so she can have some extra money for food and such. Well, I didn't have a problem with it. I told her, "Ok, get out what you want, start the descriptions, and then I can get it on the computer." Yet she never did a thing.

So today she began to fly off of her depressed handle and just go off saying how I do nothing for her and so on. I ignore it for a while, trying to not start trouble but she begins finding me and taking it out on me and how I never support her, and I am never there for her, regardless of the times I helped pull her through and try to make her feel ok.

At this time I just in the shower to try and just clear my head, but all that I can do is break down at how sad my life is. I mean hell, Ebay of all things is causing trouble.

After cleaning up I come out to her consistent ranting and raving, sadly not the cool raving, and she begins to keep going off on me. So I finally snap.

I in an angry stupor begin to fight back verbally, trying to explain that it was her I was waiting for, and that I shouldn't have to do things alone. However she just keeps putting me down and expressing how I never help her and so on and on and on and on and on...

On we go, yapping and so on but she just won't get it through her head. So finally I begin to break down and I start trying to explain that I am going through a lot too, saying how she's not the only one who is stressed, and she's not the only one who can't sleep and that she's not the only one sad and scared, all of which she is rolling her eyes to. Finally I say, "You're not the only one who feels pain and wishes they could die." To which she replies "Shhh Branden, just SHHHHHH. Whatever."

At this point my head and heart ache like I had been hurt, yet she continues to never understand that it's not that I don't want to help her with Ebay, and it not that I don't want to help around the house, it's just that I'm stressed and I don't want to feel like I'm alone doing everything. To which she replies how she is alone and has no one. Which, really really hurts me because I've been there for her my entire life, helping my father so he wouldn't take his anger out on her, or giving her support when she's needed it, but I guess that was all for nothing.

Well, from there I explain that I am afraid. I am going to be filling the shoes of a 44 year old man and I'm scared. Yet she doesn't see my point and goes off on how I never have to do anything again. Saying how she will do everything because I never help her. Then she goes on about how she won't support me or help me or let me use her car because I can't even help her with Ebay. At this point I am sick of it coming back to Ebay, like Ebay is the one who is ranting to me, like Ebay is the one causing the problem here. She's perfect, it's my fault, or it's Ebay's fault, or it's my father's fault. It's never her fault.

So after many heated words she says how my girlfriend and I will have to find our own ways from now on and so forth because if I can't help her she won't help me. Then she goes on saying how if it has nothing to do with her or nothing that helps her and so on than she won't do it. Which is funny because Brittney and I were going to go on Friday to get cell phones for us and a couple of gifts for my mom. Yet oh no, she's alone and is never thought of.

So yeah, I'm really really sad, I feel like I can never do anything right and I'm useless. So after everything I'm left sad and hurt and no one to talk to for another two hours and so on and on and on.

It's funny though, after all was said and done, she came in about 10-20 minutes later asking me to tell her her account numbers and stuff so she could do her Ebay with my brother. Which, I had already sent everything in an email to him because she didn't want my help anymore. So I told her "I sent it to Andrew so you can get it in there." To which she responded, "Good, now stay out of my accounts I don't want you touching them again." As if I had ever stolen from her or I was a thief or something.

So I wish them the best and I hope that he finds it easier than I did, because if not, then God help them and their relationship. I know he didn't ours.

But yeah, so now I'm lost and sad and I don't know what to do. I try to help her and I take the spot as man of the house but it's never good enough. I wish I could move out.

--Branden
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Re: So what do I do?

I tried to be the bigger person and apologize but I don't think it worked. We'll see I guess. I just don't even know what to do. :/
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Lay low for a while and try apologizing when she seems to be in a good mood. I don't know what else to tell you about that. She sounds kind of irrational.

I know you are looking for a job and said you couldnt find anything. You couldn't find anything you wanted to do? or you couldnt find anything at all? Could you work at a grocery store or something? Thats what I did when I was 16-18. If you want to move out you should save some money first.

Where is your dad? Could you live with him?
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Dude, e-hugs man. E-hugs. My parents are divorced too and lots of shit happened, but things are good now. The night is always darkest before the dawn. You gotta wait for the dawn to come.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:38 pm

ok so i have this friend and she is really good at giving me advice and i go to her for everything, and well this is what she has to say to/for you:

"look, i know there's so much going on in your life which makes you want to quit life or just get out, but that shouldn't be an option. i mean, yes.. there may be so much crap going on (as you have described) but there is a way out of it all. see, it might not seem to be a very pleasing idea to you, but there has been many times in my life where i have gone through a lot.. especially with my family.. and i've wanted to get out of everything too. yes, our situations aren't exactly similar, but i know somewhat of what you're going through. the way i dealt with it.. was not dealing with it at all. i gave my problems.. every single one of them.. to God. because in the Bible it says, "7Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully." (1 Peter 5:7amplified) and "7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." (1 Peter 5:7-9 niv) which really means that we don't have to worry about anything. the more you think and dwell on the bad things that are going on in your life, the more tragic and real they seem to be. yes, they're real and it's life, but God didn't create us so that we'd be miserable. He didn't purpose for divorce or anything, it's not His will for you to be sad, He wants you to be happy. After i gave my life to Him and turned all my troubles to Him, i learned to trust Him and just live my life happily. i still was nice to my parents and did everything they asked. it's not our fault that they don't listen sometimes, but we still have to obey them and understand that they don't always mean what they say. they just treat us wrong sometimes because they have stuff to deal with too. we all know they stress out and everything, but that's why families need to trust each other and always be loving. i know you said that you're always helping her, and she doesn't notice.. just keep doing what you're doing though... and trust God that He'll make a way. actually, He already has... He's just waiting for you to ask for His help. don't talk back to your mom no matter how bad you wanna. just make sure you keep showing her that you love her and that you're there to support her. no matter how hard shes taking things out on you. it'll all get better. and easier. and if you ever need to talk, just find me. because you don't wanna actually take your life away and make your mom's even worse. we all have a purpose and you don't wanna lose that!"

so yeah i just thought i would post her advice to you...
<<

m0ose

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks guys. You all seem to have hit the nail on the head.

I'll take this one by one for a minute.

My dad is living in the living room on an air mattress, and is currently waiting for his next pay check to move out into an apartment. The thing about work is that I'm not picky. Like I am but I'm not. There are some places I know I couldn't handle, or I couldn't deal with the people, but those are few.

My mom felt sad for how things went yesterday but she still doesn't see that I want to help her. She says she can't trust me to actually be there because I'm not even willing to help her on Ebay. Which, I let that comment slide.

I love both my parents very much. My dad was the one to kick me in line and my mom was the one to give me a hug after the line was covered in my body. :P They both mean a ton to me and even just going through this, even at 17, really fucking hurts. I know that when my dad moves out it will all change and I don't think him and I will cross paths for a long time, unless by mistake. It makes me sad, but it's also making me realize how much I love him, but also how much he's done. I know he's never been perfect and he's always been abusive, but he stopped that. Sure he's a dick, but he always gets the job done, and to see all these past things thrown up really blows. Especially, anyone who knows me, knows I'm not a very strong person mentally. I am when it comes to actions and doing things, but emotionally, I can't deal with stress or things like this very well at all. But, neither can my mom, so maybe it's learned.

Either way I thank you all for your support. I will keep you guys updated, that's for sure. Right now though I'm aiming for tomorrow being a better day. Tomorrow I talked my mom into letting me borrow the car to go get my girlfriend, go put in applications, get new cell phones, buy my mom stuff, etc. So hopefully tomorrow will prove to be at least one star in what feels like an endless night.

Rock on.

Oh, and on another note. If anyone is shopping for a new graphics card, let me know. I've got a Radeon HD 3870 PXI Express 2.0 x16. I bought it for $200 but I'm selling it for $112. That way I get $100 for the card and $12 to make sure shipping is covered. It's only ever been out of the box once so it should be good. I realized I couldn't install it once the power suply I bought didn't work. (I installed the components one at a time so there is no chance of it frying. It was never actually in my case installed.)

So yeah, if you are interested let me know. I'll accept Cash, Check, Money Order, Food Stamps(:P), and Paypal. Just Pm me if you are interested.

Here's the product page:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814103050

It should be in working condition, but I've never actually been able to try it.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:28 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:First off, You cannot, should not blame yourself for any of this. It is clear your mom is having a hard time with this, even still, she is in the wrong for taking out her frustrations, lonliness and sadness on you. None of the issues between your mom and dad are your fault.

I think your mom may be focusing on ebay as a way to not focus on the other problems going on. The sabotoge of her not working with you, and then trying to vent on you because of it sounds to me like she NEEDS that issue with ebay to keep from having to deal with the deeper problems.

As hard as it may sound... just try to do your best to be nice and kind, and when you have a chance, grab the first job that comes around and start putting some money away. I left when I was about 14 "officially" and it was hard, but not impossible.

YOu are a very sweet and considerate guy and it breaks my heart to hear you going through this. Divorce is so hard (I am going through it myself) on EVERYONE. Your mother is just too hurt to see that right now. She will later when she can get past some of it. Hang in there until then and maybe you both can resolve this issuie between you.

I know I rambled, and I know that none of what I said could really be the case, but I do want you to know that I am thinking of you and really REALLY hope that the best comes out of it. YOu are a sweet heart (even though you are freaky weird! hehe).

hugs
stace

wow stacy. you're an amazing person. I wish that I was a more generous person. I wish that I weren't so incompetent,that I could actually help others. ever since middle school I've lost that touch of generocity. I want to work on giving back to people. I've always been a selfish person,but since i've met you i've noticed that your personality is something I want. I haven't necissarily been there for my little brother. I was arrogant,neglectful,impatient, and i pushed everyone away. I've taken my brother's loyalty for granted. you helped me understand that. Thank you stacy, for opening my eyes to see what a terrible person i've been. I'm going to be more patient and optimistic from now on. :)
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:44 pm

I've never really cared about my parents. To this day I don't really care. I grew up as a kid that handles emotional trauma exeptionally. As a child, i was yelled at, hit, insulted and alienated. after a while i got used to it. but you shouldn't,my mother once said "that's why people get divorced,because of children!" as much as it may have hurt me, I knew that it wasn't true. so, i guess.....what I'm trying to say is.... As messed up as your life may be...there's always something to look forward to. there's always something there to comfort you. look around, you've got a girl to look for when in doubt or when you feel uncomfortable. you have a little brother to help cheer you up. you have an older brother there to help you, to give you advise, and to stand up for you when you are exhausted.
I've never had too much of that. i don't have someone, i don't have an older brother, i have realtives, but they are spread far across the world. I only have what i can look forward to in the future. i don't want you to end up emotionally scarred like me. I get lonely...but if you're lonley, don't you have someone? don't you have someone to look for for comfort? I hope that I have helped you out somehow.

best of luck brother, Jc
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:JC - that was such a sweet thing for you to say, I have no idea how to resond!

Little siblings are definately something precious (pests though they can be!!!). I am glad that you are re-thinking your replationship with yours. My brother and I dont have much interaction, and it wasnt until we were in our late 20s before we actually got along. Much to my sadness. Dont let that happen with you. Sometimes letting go of a little bit of pride can work miracles.

You know I am rooting for you JC! :-) I think you will do fine. :-)

Thank You Stacy...you're always so cheery. I won't let it happen. His birthday is coming up....so i might save up and try to get him that new set of toys he's always wanted.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:27 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:Good idea!! Just keep in mind - younger siblings dont often appreciate things until much later. :-) Hopefully he will right off though.

(sigh).....i wish that i were as mature as you......you always know exactly what to say. life experience i guess eh?
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:hahah you could say that. Like I told Lew before... I have LOADS of lovely baggage full of stuff to share LOL...

ahahaha.....yeah. i guess i'm like this cuz i know that my lil bro's all i'm going to have pretty soon....my father's got esoghagul cancer and my mother has an unusual thing...they say it might be lupus. and i know that i don't really care that much about what happens to them....as to what it will do to my brother .i guess that i've always had a soft spot. and i guess that my bro will feel alone in the world. because he isn't emotionally troubled as i am or was. and i've always wanted a daughter.....i might as well start acting kinder now......if i'm gunna have to do that for 18 years (at least 18 years) straight eh?

Return to Random Banter