FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

I just sent an email...

<<

m0ose

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:02 pm

I just sent an email...

To a locksmith. Basically I found a post on Craiglist asking for assisting locksmiths whether they be fully trained or no experience.

They asked for a resume, but me, not having one, or knowing what the hell they look like I just sent him an email. Hopefully I get a response.

The email contains A LOT of personal information, but oh well. Come find me damnit! I did remove the contact details though.

Hello, my name is Branden Knab and I am a 17 year old partially train Locksmith. I'm currently working on my advanced degree from Foley-Belsaw, which I'm currently studying safes.

I currently live in Albion, so I'm a little ways away from your area, but I've got a way if the price and location is right. With gas prices it's a bit rough coming from out here.

I currently do not have a criminal record, nor do I plan of getting one. I've actually worked with the local Albion Police Department through their Police Explorers program.

For private experience I've been the local key cutter for a while amongst my family and friends, and I have a bit of experience regarding running a key machine.

Also, though it may not be exactly normal to mention, I pick locks for a hobby and have gotten ok from the experience. I participate in sharing knowledge amongst a online community of people who are interested in Locksport.

The most I can really tell you is that I am myself. I'm a hard working individual who has been interested in lock since a young age. I payed half down on my Foley-Belsaw course with my parents and I am dedicated to finishing it out and hopefully one day actually turning my interest and dedication into a living. Locksmithing has been my goal for a long time, and respecting the rules and responsibilites of participating in such a field is something I hold high in my book. I'm here to help those in need, not take advantage of the weak.

Though it may not be the best thing to remark about, I've yet to ever hold a job more than mowing the grass, mainly for the reason I've dedicated myself more to studies in the past than finding a job.

I know this isn't a typical resume, but at the moment it's the best I can do as this is more of spur of the moment sort of thing.

If you are at all interested, please respond. I will be more than willing to answer any questions you may have. At the bottom of this email I will attach my contract details in case you are interested in the least.

Thank you for reading, and sorry for being such a non-typical resume.

--Branden Knab

What do you think? For just randomly finding the post on Craig's I figure it's pretty ok. I mean sure it's a shot in the dark, but oh well! I'd rather have a ticket and a chance then a dollar and a dream.

Plus, I figure if I'm real to them, they may be real to me. Whether it's a typical resume or not.
<<

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: I just sent an email...

it deffinately sounds good to me. you really cant turn down an oppertunity like that.

and seems hes asking for some with full or no experience then your deffinately in with a chance, even if it means you kaing the tea and sweeping the floorm your foot is in the door.

the spelling may have let you let down a little and you said a few things maybe i woulnt have but good luck man.

we're all with you

Lew
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Lockylew wrote:it deffinately sounds good to me. you really cant turn down an oppertunity like that.

and seems hes asking for some with full or no experience then your deffinately in with a chance, even if it means you kaing the tea and sweeping the floorm your foot is in the door.

good luck man, we're all with you

Lew

Hehe, yeah, I don't care if I have to pick up the crap after a rabid pitbull so long as I'm in there! The only problem I can see is that I live about 45 minutes from Rochester, so hopefully he is on my side of Rochester. If not I've gotta go either through or around the city, which, at that point, even at 28mpg for my mom's car, it's kinda not worth it. Though, then again, if he offers me at least 6 hours at min I could afford gas there and back with a bit left over. So who knows.

I think the worst thing that will get me is spelling errors more so than being non-typical. As I was so excited I just hit send before I re-read the email. So who knows.
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Never just hit send before rereading the email.

But I think it sounds ok.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:44 pm

It's not a conventional resume, that's for sure. Trust me, I've been through what you are going through but on a reverse scale. I have sent out probably a hundred or more resumes during the past 10 years after being laid off twice.

At that time (45 years old), starting over and looking for work was a pain.

FYI - You are either too young - or to old. If you are too young, then you don't have the experience and maturity that an employer seeks.

By maturity, I don't mean being the smartest guy in the bunch. It means knowing your job, taking direction, asking questions, and showing up for work - on time. You'll get paid shit the first couple of years, but that's the tuition you pay to graduate from the school of hard knocks.

In my case, employers saw me as an old bastard that was overpaid, surly (a lot of times) and didn't fit in with the bean counters, lawyers, VP's, Executive VP's, Executive Secretaries, and just plain old execuitves. I could give a ratf*ck about cost over runs, EBITDA's, flow charts, etc.

I ended up starting my own company and enjoying every minute of it.

I ACTUALLY enjoy working now. I don't have pinheads to get in my way, and I get things done without having to get approval from 20 different people who can't decide on when to take a crap.

Just tough it out, man. Learn everything you can and don't be a smart ass. You've got two ears and one mouth for a reason - you listen with both ears and keep your mouth shut.

As you gain experience, you'll start moving up. Learn from your mistakes and if you are lucky enough - you can go off on your own and be your own boss.

Just don't waste your life, man. Be productive.
<<

StabbyJoe

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Personally wouldn't have used the words 'spur of the moment' near the end... other than that you've definitely got a good chance... I'd say it's yours but who knows? maybe a fully trained locksmith will apply and be given preference... but I have my doubts for whatever reason... You come across very dedicated, willing to learn and have a good attitude, which all works in your favor... I'd hire you (woohoo) lol
<<

j0siah7

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:46 pm

sounds good to me, wish you the best of luck.
Matt's youtube account ---> http://youtube.com/j0siah7

"gives you wiiings"
<<

WOT

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 pm

The big burden is that you're not 25. Even if you drive your own car, if you're using it for work, they'll still have to insure you for liability.. since your insurance might deny you if they find out you caused an accident while using it for work.

As you know.. auto insurance for 17 year old is very expensive
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:11 pm

bearing your best interest in mind,i sincerely hope that was not the final draft you sent your potential employer.
just a quick read tells a lot of negative things about you,and what you have to offer an employer.
not trying to bring you down, but this is not sugar-coated.
this is the straight goods,and i" calls em' as i sees em' "
if i were on the receiving end of that letter,i would have roundfiled it .
hope you can handle constructive criticism ,
and there are resume' templates free all over the web.
i strongly suggest you print some off,and properly compile your education,experience,etc.
good luck.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

m0ose

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:30 am

awol70 wrote:bearing your best interest in mind,i sincerely hope that was not the final draft you sent your potential employer.
just a quick read tells a lot of negative things about you,and what you have to offer an employer.
not trying to bring you down, but this is not sugar-coated.
this is the straight goods,and i" calls em' as i sees em' "
if i were on the receiving end of that letter,i would have roundfiled it .
hope you can handle constructive criticism ,
and there are resume' templates free all over the web.
i strongly suggest you print some off,and properly compile your education,experience,etc.
good luck.

Oh, trust me, I totally agree. You kind of have to think of it like this. Even though it is an opportunity I didn't expect to get the job, sure it would be nice, but honestly I doubted it before I sent the email. Second, I'd rather have an email sent no matter how shitty, than not having one sent at all. Sure it's not that great, but it gets my point across to a good enough extent, where, typical or not, I've still got a slight chance, and that chance is all I was really going for.
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:59 am

aww you deffinately had to go for it, no question.

you'd be kicking yourself if you acctually could have got it but didnt apply.

you just gotto hope for the best now.

Lew
<<

m0ose

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:23 am

Lockylew wrote:aww you deffinately had to go for it, no question.

you'd be kicking yourself if you acctually could have got it but didnt apply.

you just gotto hope for the best now.

Lew

Exactly. Hope for the best, expect the worst and no matter what life brings you, just go for it first.
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:12 pm

I really hope this goes well for you. It would be great if you could get a job you are passionate about.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor

Return to Random Banter