FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

the 90 day rule will kill this forum

<<

JackNco

Post Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

there's bugger all traffic on here. a forum needs time to grow. its to young to in force mandatory posting. half the members wont bother and the others that don't post much will just make a random comment when they get the email in the middle of doing something else. this will make the actual info even more thin on the ground.

and to be honest asking EVERY member to do this to make your job easier just seems lazy, especial when this wont actually cut down on spam... after all you wont know who is a spam bot till you have 100 odd new spam threads to thin the information out even more.

The internet is about being lazy for most people, especially casual posters. I'm a member of loads of forums and sometimes I wont go back to one in about a year. CPF is a good example of this. loads of members that just go back when they want some info.

Just my opinion

John
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: the 90 day rule will kill this forum

there is a plan behind all of this.
USMC has thought this through...
if anything bad happens lew will probably lift the limitation.
<<

m0ose

Post Wed May 28, 2008 10:19 pm

90 day what now? Sounds like a good old fashioned safety net to me.
<<

JackNco

Post Wed May 28, 2008 11:21 pm

I really don't see what it will improve. people will post when they have something to share and it really wont cut down spam at all.

asking people to wait till an account is activated before they can post and opening up all other features would be a much more effective way of doing it.
<<

JackNco

Post Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

But spammers are nearly ALWAYS new members, so that doesn't cut them down.

And either way if they are spammers and making posts that are spam you will only know when they actually do it, in which case you will have to manually delete/ban them anyway. after they have posted the spam.

I don't see how this will cut down on spam or moderators work load at all as you will still be individually deleting members when they spam the forum. all you will be doing is cutting down members, the board only has 100 members and only 55 with a single post or more. it really is a bit early to be trimming the fat.

But it is your board and as you say there are lots of forums that ask you to post more often.

Personally I think you would be better offering something in return for decent content rather than just "post something, anything you want as long as you do"

All the best

John
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 am

hi john, great to have you here, i appreciate your input on this, i can't really see how it would kill the board. i understand that it could annoy people slightly and yes maybe it is a little early but if we intend on implementing it when the members pick up i don't see why we don't just start now so everyone can get a chance to accustom to it. just so you know it's not usmc'c forum and yes strictly i pay the bills so it's mine technically but personally i look at it as everyones forum, i will see how it turns out and if everybody disagree's with it then it will be scrapped, as it stands i don't really see it as a bad thing. once again i appreciate your oppinion on this and we will take it on board.

Lew
<<

JackNco

Post Thu May 29, 2008 5:08 am

just trying to help man.
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu May 29, 2008 5:10 am

JackNco wrote:just trying to help man.

sure thing dude, much appreciated.

Lew
<<

hex_rat

Post Thu May 29, 2008 5:53 am

I dont think so
I got my email today and I dont feel bad about it.

Quite the reverse.

A wake up call, myself I like to lurk when I join a New Forum

Just to get the feel for it and sus out whats going on.

Hands up I thought that I had made a post in the welcome section oops.

That will be sorted as we speak.

I do not have a great deal to post at present but that will change shortly.

Just got hold of a new USB Digital Microscope from Maplins once I get it mastered I will be posting some pics.

The forum is quite right with the new rule.

I hope that anyone who reads this reply and has been lurking like me will post a message just to say yes I am here too

Regards Hex_rat.
Life Is Too Short Turn Back The Clock
<<

m0ose

Post Thu May 29, 2008 9:25 am

Ok, I must have missed something. Time to go check my spam filter. >.<
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 29, 2008 5:23 pm

usmcboltaction wrote:Didn't send you a message, moose. I only sent them to people with no posts. We can't get you to shut up. ;)

could be worse... moose could be like me... :lol:
<<

m0ose

Post Thu May 29, 2008 8:09 pm

Lol, ahhh, ok. I was thinking it was some email announcement or something. But yeah, why would I shut up? Being quiet is gahey!

Return to Random Banter