FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LockPickShop videos showing a lot of their stuff

<<

pickmonger2

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:14 pm

LockPickShop videos showing a lot of their stuff

Bosnian Bill has done some 40 plus free videos showing LockPickShop items giving a chance to see before you buy.
https://www.lockpickshop.com/videos.html

He has also shot a number of training videos for LockPickShop that soon will be sold for around $10.00 each
https://www.lockpickshop.com/Bosnian-Bill.html
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Re: LockPickShop videos showing a lot of their stuff

Did I read that right? BB is selling educational videos??? Holy shit, Dunning-Kruger much? This is like medical training being offered by a 2nd year undergrad! Essentially, BB is a noob with a popular YT channel. For example, I would never dream of trying to sell anything other than Abloy NDE courses and even then, I am painfully aware that I know only the tip of the iceberg.

**EDIT** I was too generous, it is more like a High School kid who has done biology and has a few Petri dishes and a Bunsen burner at home. **EDIT**
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Hux, I will be starting my YouTube series on Brain Surgery next week.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mseifert

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Hux, I will be starting my YouTube series on Brain Surgery next week.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

huxleypig, Agreed I think BB is a decent picker, and make some good quality video. But I am not going to pay money for a instructional class from him
When I finally leave this world.. Will someone please tell my wife what I have REALLY spent on locks ...
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Bill is great at explaining things and is entertaining, so if you're new, the videos will probably be helpful. Basic lock picking doesn't involve complex concepts, and from what I've seen of his videos, he's got a good understanding of how to open locks. I think that a lot of the things in his videos would have been covered in his existing youtube videos. As an example, for me "improving picks" might involve sanding them a bit if they're rough, or filing and shaping dimple picks like he did with the Goso ones. There would have to be substantial additional content for me to cough up money. For some people with less experience, it might be worth it though.

I've bought lots of books/materials hoping that there's useful information - sometimes there's not too much useful info, but other times there's lots of entertaining/useful data there.
<<

Lauren

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Can't blame him for trying to make money. I think his videos are well done.
<<

pickmonger2

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 am

Well done videos for beginners at about $10.00 each. A complete set would be over $250.00 (some are more than $10.00)

I wonder if they will start removing some of his FREE videos already posted on Youtube.

[list=]Module 01 - Introduction to Lock Picking
Module 02 - How Pin Tumbler Locks Work
Module 03 - Lock Picking Tools
Module 04 - Tensioning Tools - How to Tension
Module 05 - Lock Picking Techniques
Module 06 - Improving your Picks
Module 07: Security Pins
Module 08 - Locks to Learn on
Module 09 - Techniques for Picking Different Pins
Module 10 - Paracentric Keyways
Module 11 - Disassembling Pin Tumblers
Module 12 - Re-Assembling Pin Tumblers
Module 13 - Making Training Locks
Module 14 - Making Challenge Locks
Module 15 - Using a Cutaway
Module 16 - Wafer Locks
Module 17 - Warded Locks
Module 18 - Dimple Locks
Module 19 - Disc Detainer Locks
Module 20 - Tubular Locks
Module 21 - Combination Locks
Module 22 - Core Spinners
Module 23 - Impressioning Locks
Module 24 - Making Keys by Hand
Module 25 - Bumping Locks[/list]
<<

huxleypig

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 pm

So BB has consistently been found wanting is a large number of the fields in that list! I'm not going to go through them (and there are lots) but I think my highlight is the fact that he doesn't know what a bump key should even look like, or how it is even supposed to work! Did anyone catch his Forever Lock bumping attempt?? He simply hit the bump key repeatedly with a hammer. No rubbers to reset it, no moving of the bump key in any way, lol. He had the cheek to say the Bowley was resistant to bumping when his bump key would never have worked, not in a million years. For about 5 different reasons.

It is this kind of shortcoming that grinds my gears when I see him trying to sell his 'expertise'. And it is not like this is an isolated subject, he has consistently failed to even understand (let alone pick) anything but the very cheapest Chinese disc detainers. I am not even talking Abloy here either, he thinks that they're simply impossible to pick. And he tells people this. There's more. Much, much more.

I do not mind him making money and for what it's worth, I think his videos are well made. What he does know he puts over well. I just wish mediocrity wasn't celebrated so much. Sparrows only think he's some sort of expert because he has a popular channel. Popularity does not equal expertise.
<<

Lauren

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:32 pm

So Hux, what do you think BB does, he picks only what he has proven to pick off camera first? I'm sure his skill set may lack a certain sophistication on high end locks. Maybe he's been paid not to discuss certain brands of locks. It's certainly in the realm of possibilities. Remember, BB is a poster child now. Maybe you could email him and discuss your concerns. He's still laughing to the bank. I'm sure.
<<

huxleypig

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 pm

I guess you are right, he will know if he can pick the lock before the camera is rolling...and BB is not alone in that respect either. His skill set is nowhere near what I consider to be 'instructor level'. Up until 3 years ago he'd never picked a lock, right? He's not a locksmith so his interest isn't (or wasn't) in a professional capacity. Does he really know anything about toolmaking?? Really? And yes, either way you cut it, he's raking it in.

Maybe the moral of this story is; don't devote your time to becoming genuinely good at something when being bang average and loud is more lucrative.
<<

jimu57

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:36 am

You guys are being a little rough on Bill aren't you?
<<

TylerJThomas

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:08 am

<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I like watching bills videos, he is a "couthy lad" as we would say here in Aberdeenshire, and if he can " hack his patch" and make some siller on the side, fair play to the man.
Ive never once seen him claim something he isnt, or claim something he couldnt.

Now on a lighter note, "Dear Bill" Im having trouble with.....please find enclosed $10.
Yours sincerly

The Rat
<<

jimu57

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Ah. The key decoder used on pins. That is the one everyone is commenting on. This is the first time I have seen it. Nor sure why Bill did that. Maybe bad drugs. And that is the reason his lockpicking DVD series is being dissed? Well, ok. You know what they say about opinions.
<<

TylerJThomas

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 pm

It's not just that video. I don't have time, nor desire, to point out every error in his work. Ditto for Deviant Ollam. The thing is, we are all beginners at some point and there is nothing wrong with messing up. Helping others free of charge is an admirable trait that we should all emulate in life.

But when you monetize your knowledge, you become fair play to critique. After all, people are paying their hard earned money to learn; if they knew any differently or could spot erroneous information they wouldn't be paying after all. Damn well better believe you should be held to a higher standard than someone who isn't.
Next

Return to Random Banter