FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Photobucket Frustrations

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Photobucket Frustrations

femurat wrote:So apparently the free images hosting website I'm using decided to change its policy and blocked my images. I'm a bit upset about it, because now I need to download the images, upload them somewhere else and edit all my posts to update the url.

I have 2 problems:

1 - I'm not sure if it's better to change image hosting website or upload the images here. As some of you may know, I post here and on another forum. Would be possible to upload the images here and then embed them in the other forum too? I don't know if this is seen as a bad thing by the forums owners/admin. Better ask first.

2 - I'm not allowed to edit my old posts. I think that once I have uploaded the images somewhere, I may ask temporarily permission to edit my posts.

This may be sent via PM to xeo or another admin, but I think I'm not the only one with this problem. I hope this post may be useful for others.

You can either upload them to here or another website and link them here. Unfortunately you cannot upload them here and then link them on other websites. In regards to editing old posts the system is not set up to allow people to edit their posts past a certain date. I would be able to do it for you if you wrote the post and I could just copy paste the edit into place.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:31 am

Thanks for the clarification. I'll choose where to upload the images and report back.

Cheers :)
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 am

femurat, i feel your pain man. My collection thread on here and LP101 are both full of pics linked from photobucket.

if anyone is interested in what happened, just google "photobucket" and read one of the dozens of news articles.

:(
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 am

I do always upload the photos in the forum where I make a post if the forum supports that. If I use it in multiple forums/posts I upload it multiple times. That way the photos will be there as long as the forum exists.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Lauren

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:07 pm

I switched to IMGUR. The pictures come out big here on the forum, but seem to auto-correct. Screw PHOTOFUCKET.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Lauren wrote:I switched to IMGUR. The pictures come out big here on the forum, but seem to auto-correct. Screw PHOTOFUCKET.

There is a way to pick the size of the pictures.

Go to your images folder. Click on the image you would like to link. A window will pop up that looks like this. At the bottom is a few options. These are the sizes. Selecting one then copying the link from the "Linked BB code" will allow people to click the picture and be brought to imgur to see it full size. This will only work from the images folder and not albums unfortunately.

Here is a huge thumbnail image.

Here is a large thumbnail image

<<

Lauren

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks, I figured it out later. Let's see how free posting last here for 3rd party hosting. All my post-gone.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:51 pm

I've had issues with photobucket for months, their iOS app just stopped working. I've been using imgur and uploading directly to the forum(s) when I can.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Lauren

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:10 pm

What's the cliff note version for directly uploading to the forum? Just copy and paste?
<<

Riyame

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Lauren wrote:What's the cliff note version for directly uploading to the forum? Just copy and paste?

http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6755 A how to is here.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:04 am

While I think about how to fix this mess, is there a way to edit all of my posts with a batch command? If so it would be nice to replace all of the IMG and /IMG within [] with URL and /URL. This way my posts won't show the crappy banner but just links to the pictures.

I'm looking for a more stabile image hosting but then I'd need some help by someone that know regexp to replace the not working part of the url with the new one.
Unfortunately, this could be useful for many people.

<<

Riyame

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:24 am

femurat wrote:While I think about how to fix this mess, is there a way to edit all of my posts with a batch command? If so it would be nice to replace all of the IMG and /IMG within [] with URL and /URL. This way my posts won't show the crappy banner but just links to the pictures.

I'm looking for a more stabile image hosting but then I'd need some help by someone that know regexp to replace the not working part of the url with the new one.

Unfortunately not. A mod would have to go in and edit all of your older posts.

<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:42 am

I too have suffered the wrath of image hosting companies. My hosting company for all my pics on the forums that link back to squelchtone.com and highsecurityconsulting.com is out of business and I need to reupload all photos into the correct folders and paths on a new hosting solution, and my old freeservers account at nynex.s5.com has been renamed by the hosting company to nynex.mysite.com and all of those pic links are now borked on multiple forums.

I'm a fan of imgur but recently their TOS said that linking pics to forums is against the rules and I worry that they too will soon block all of the pics I have uploaded to my account at imgur.

Now hearing the news of photobucket extorting huge amounts of money from long time members in order to link to their folders from forum posts... I think I've had enough.

Gentlemen, behold! https://lock.photos/ I have registered a new site, which will no doubt take some time to develop on the back end where everyone will have their own account and personal folder to upload your forum photos. There will probably be a nominal fee or donation per year just to help pay for the crazy amount of bandwidth usage I anticipate, but at least your photos will be on a dedicated server without a bunch of corporate nonsense.

Hang loose for a while, it may be a month or two before you can sign up for an account, many other projects going on already.
Squelchtone
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:57 am

Riyame wrote:
femurat wrote:While I think about how to fix this mess, is there a way to edit all of my posts with a batch command? If so it would be nice to replace all of the IMG and /IMG within [] with URL and /URL. This way my posts won't show the crappy banner but just links to the pictures.

Unfortunately not. A mod would have to go in and edit all of your older posts.

we could just register photobucket1.com and you'd just have to edit posts and put 1 after photobucket, but then their wacky random digit folder names would have to be recreated on the new server.
Previous

Return to Random Banter