FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Why Do People Even Try?

<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Why Do People Even Try?

To sell this stuff?
IC Core Used Pins on E-Bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-Cores-used-P ... 3ce6aecd98
<<

coldrake

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Why Do People Even Try?

I once saw an eBay listing for "Antique Locks" for $19.99. The photo showed an assortment of outlet covers, along with a few brass screws and a glass doorknob. There was a lot of facepalming going on there.
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:26 pm

How much do the medium length IC pin packs of 100 weigh? What is the best price they can be found at? Trying to get some perspective on how much a 2 pound bag of pins really is.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:32 pm

jones wrote:To sell this stuff?
IC Core Used Pins on E-Bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-Cores-used-P ... 3ce6aecd98

If theres a market, make money off of it. I really like that seller. Hes an honest guy who works hard. Hell, I'd do the same thing. I have 125 pre pinned 7-pin cores. I may dump them all and profit as much as I can by selling the pins. Why not?
<<

scudo

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm

You wouldnt believe some of the crap I have sold on ebay, but nice stuff to others, then again I have bought some nice stuff on ebay that is crap to others.
One mans junk is anothers treasure.

I have never bought anything purely to sell it on ebay, I have only ever sold stuff thats lying around excess to requirements or unwanted over the last 10 years it has amounted to £17k....money in my pocket.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:37 pm

I just think it's crazy to sell brass pins. These would go to the brass recycler in my shop, along with the brass filings from my key machines & anything else that is non-metallic that get's tossed into the brass bin.

Anyway I just saw someone selling 50 empty plastic lab pin containers for $27.00. I been throwing mine in the trash for years.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:40 pm

femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

flywheel

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 pm

That reminds me, my question wasn't answered. How many pins are in 2 pounds? A rough estimate with medium pin lengths is fine. I assume SFIC pins are 0.095" in diameter.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:53 pm

flywheel wrote:That reminds me, my question wasn't answered. How many pins are in 2 pounds? A rough estimate with medium pin lengths is fine. I assume SFIC pins are 0.095" in diameter.

no they are .108"
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 pm

flywheel, i would guess at over 5k pins. someone posted it in the chat :-) I think it would take years to sort. but if you are strapped for cash and have alot of time on your hands it could be a good deal.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

flywheel

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 pm

5,000 pins for $18! Sounds like a good deal. Maybe not for the professional locksmith relying on getting things done in a quick and orderly fashion. Sorting a handful at a time while sitting in front of the boob tube in the evening would actually get the job done really fast. Amazing how impossible jobs are finished so quickly just by taking little bites.

Now what does a bag of 100 pins cost? A couple bucks? Multiply that times 50...
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:flywheel, i would guess at over 5k pins. someone posted it in the chat :-) I think it would take years to sort. but if you are strapped for cash and have alot of time on your hands it could be a good deal.

5k bare minimum. A bag of 100 of the biggest pin (19B) weighs 30 grams. That means there is around 3k of them in 2 lbs. The smallest pin (2B) weighs around 7 grams or 12,791 pins approximately. Given that I find pins over 14B are rarely used and smaller pins are most common I would say 6-8k pins is a solid guess. I assume there would be caps and springs in there as well.

If there are caps in there you would have to sort 10 sizes of bottom pins and 18 sizes of top pin. The caps are right around the 2B pin size and need to pay attention to weed them out. The top pins have 0.0125" difference between sizes.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:20 am

Riyame wrote:...you would have to sort 9 sizes of bottom pins and 18 sizes of top pin. The caps are right around the 2B pin size and need to pay attention to weed them out. The top pins have 0.0125" difference between sizes.

I thought there were 10 sizes of bottom pins. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 am

You would be correct Gordon. That is what I get for sleeping at the keyboard :lol:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 am

Finally, we have proof of Riy sleeping :D
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
Next

Return to Supplies