FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need suggestions on where to buy stubby-ended tension wrench

<<

dirtymoney1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Need suggestions on where to buy stubby-ended tension wrench

The kind used to put in the front of the pin-part of the keyway. The ones that are a little serrated so they grip better in the shallow spot of the keyway.

The usual place I buy lockpicks from doesnt have any.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Need suggestions on where to buy stubby-ended tension wr

Make one. It doesn't even have to be that short, or have teeth for that matter. I don't even know why some of them have teeth to be honest, maybe they're there for people who rake like crazy but even then, under such light tension it'd probably just fly out anyway. Seriously, buying wrenches? C'mon.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 pm

DirtyM1, They really are fairly simple to make. Get some windshield wiper inserts, available in the trash can at the auto parts store (ask first), a couple pairs of pliers, and a few spare minutes. If for some reason you can't, drop me a PM and I'll fix you up with wrenches and inserts to try on your own.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:07 pm

If your looking to make them out of a bit thicker metal you can try some rake (like for leaves not keys) tines. They are a bit thicker and suited to the type of wrench that you are looking to make.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 pm

I looked around the shop for some other materials that would be the correct thickness. Sawzall blades are perfect. A little grinding, quenching, and sanding....done.
1.jpg

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Albert Einstein
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:49 pm

I have made them from reciprocating saw blades and also from "music wire". With the music wire choose a guage that will not fit the top of the keyway and then file opposite sides flat so that you get a snug fit without any play at the top of the key way, then form the right angle, then trim so that it doesn't touch the first pin. Kokomolock uses a tension wrench made from music wire in one of his videos.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:12 am

Just to let everyone know, from my conversations with DM he's not willing to make anything. Not even from wiper inserts. I know, I know. :mrgreen:

Gnarus, those sawzall blades look awesome!! I'm gonna have to look into those.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:00 pm

What is a sawzill blade and where can i get one ?
Open Sez Me !
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 pm

nozza36 wrote:What is a sawzill blade and where can i get one ?
Sawzall is actually a brand name that kinda took over the item like Kleenex or Q-Tip. It's really just a reciprocating saw.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

dirtymoney1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Solomon wrote:Just to let everyone know, from my conversations with DM he's not willing to make anything. Not even from wiper inserts. I know, I know. :mrgreen:

Gnarus, those sawzall blades look awesome!! I'm gonna have to look into those.

ah you bastard! I'll get you for this! :bird:
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Yup what Aedalas said. The more aggressive the teeth the more likely the blade will be thicker (I used an aggressive one). Those types of blades are generally used for cutting wood. Thinner versions could be made from blades that have more "hacksaw type" teeth. If you can find or know of a construction company they could hook you up with plenty of these for free.
-Albert Einstein
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:11 pm

gnarus8429 wrote: If you can find or know of a construction company they could hook you up with plenty of these for free.
I worked construction for many years, we only tossed those blades when they burned up. They get dull and the friction starts causing some massive heat, enough to blue the metal. I'm not sure how great those would be, the temper could cause issues. Slightly used blades would be fine, but we never got rid of slightly used blades. On which type to use, I'd give some thought to the ones used for wood with nails. They're the thicker wood cutting variety, but they're also hardened a bit more for nails and small bits of metal. They might also be called demo blades, short for demolition (sawzalls are one of the best things ever invented for that).

EDIT: I guess burning up isn't the only thing we tossed them for, if you smack the tip of one into something it bends the hell out of it. You can kinda bend them back, but they're never really the same after that.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Return to Supplies