FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Plug follower advice

<<

Deadlock

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Re: Plug follower advice

Okay, when I said tap 'em out, I meant tap 'em IN. Into the plug chamber. :smile:
<<

scudo

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:57 am

I will try the freezer and see if that works. the only way to tap them out would be drilling from the other side as its is the driver pins.

pins 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Deadlock

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:17 am

Sorry, penny's finally dropped. Where's that 'idiot' emoticon? I see what you mean now, the pins are stuck in the bible. If you haven't got them out by now, try working them up and down with a cocktail stick or something.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:18 am

I have another idea. If you can find a small diameter tube like a skinny straw you might be able to capture the pins and pull them out. Finding a suitable capture tool will be tricky though.
Last edited by Doogs on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

scudo

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:25 am

There doesnt appear to be any `play` around the pin to capture them, I am thinking my best bet will be suction of some kind and try and lift them out, but that will depend on how tight they are wedged in there.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:29 am

Suction may well work! Simple just a matter of making the right tip for the vacuum

How about cyanoacrylate (krazy glue) on the tip of a toothpick and letting it bond to the pin careful not to get any on the pin chamber walls obviously.

Another might be a using broken drill bit and try to spin the pins until they loosen

The more I think about it rapping the cylinder on a block of wood should knock them out it just might take quite a few raps to succeed use a good lubricant/cleaner first.

Just trying to run some ideas by you

<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Have you tried a soaking in a small container with alcohol? Sounds like something is keeping them stuck, maybe after it dissolves they will fall out
If that doesn't work you can always take a small 1/16" drill bit & drill through to give them a push out with a paperclip. It isn't much fun but it works
<<

scudo

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:11 pm

I will have another attempt tomorrow with some of the ideas posted. I was initially thinking I did not want to drill the back end to try and push them out but after some careful measurements I reckon I only need to drill down about 2-3 mm, other reason for not wanting to drill is I have to do it outside and it is freezing here, mind you wife is at work tomorrow Mmmmmm? I will leave that though until I try some of the others.

Thanks guys.
<<

Altashot

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:38 pm

From what I can see in the picture showing the inside of the housing, I think those pins are peened in there.
On either side of the 4th pin, 2 scars, possibly due to a spring being caught at the shear line, has damage the edges of pin chambers 3 and 5.
Attempts at "digging" them out will damage them further.

I get those out with a 1mm hole in the back and tap them out with a small punch.
A small nail or stiff wire or even the drill bit may work as well.
The pins themselves will repair the chambers as they come out. I put the plug back in and rotate a few times to cut the burrs and smooth out galling.
Then, I put pins back in each damaged chambers a few times and tap them out again. I repeat the process until the chambers are repaired and the pins move freely.

Sorry you might have to go outside but at least it's only for 2 little holes.

M.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Altashot wrote:From what I can see in the picture showing the inside of the housing, I think those pins are peened in there.
On either side of the 4th pin, 2 scars, possibly due to a spring being caught at the shear line, has damage the edges of pin chambers 3 and 5.
Attempts at "digging" them out will damage them further.

I get those out with a 1mm hole in the back and tap them out with a small punch.
A small nail or stiff wire or even the drill bit may work as well.
The pins themselves will repair the chambers as they come out. I put the plug back in and rotate a few times to cut the burrs and smooth out galling.
Then, I put pins back in each damaged chambers a few times and tap them out again. I repeat the process until the chambers are repaired and the pins move freely.

M.

Oh Geez, I didn't see the scars that are holding your pins in place. You can take a bent "L" tool and push/rub around those "scarred" areas, many times the pins will just fall out after you push the brass out of the way a little
<<

scudo

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:05 pm

On either side of the 4th pin, 2 scars, possibly due to a spring being caught at the shear line,

One of the springs was mangled but also I have been `attacking` the pins with all sorts of implements which could also have scored them although not enough to peen them.

She is at work tomorrow and as it is a small job I will just do it indoors -4 and a biting wind are not good at my age.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:18 pm

I can ship you some random springs and pins should be enough to get it working again. Sis is heading G home to Newcastle in early January so postage will be letter and I'll Cover it. Just Pm your Addy if they are lost or give you an opportunity to re pin if you want me to throw in some spools and serrated top pins. Anything to help out a fellow KPer

Effingham autocorrect is retarded . See what I mean Android sux farts out of a dead donkeys ass!

<<

scudo

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:12 pm

I have sent you pm Doogs.

Update:
I drilled 2 small holes in the back and managed to push the 2 pins out with a straightened paper clip so thats all the pins out now.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Good work Stan:

Just need to gently clean up those chambers so the pins don't jam again and you should be good to go. I got your PM and pins and springs will be on their way in the morning and they should give you a decent challenge lock to play with.

Cheers
Mike

<<

Altashot

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:55 pm

So, now that you have them out, what was holding them in?

M.
PreviousNext

Return to Uber-Noob