FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Is this suitcase reasonably secure?

<<

scudo

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:41 am

Is this suitcase reasonably secure?

Link...... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsonite-Scure ... te+luggage

I know these locks can be picked but comparing to the `zip` type case which are easily accessed I am thinking at least they would have to spend a few minutes trying to get access so more likely to go for an easier target. It is for a friend and I recommended a hard case that one could fit their own padlocks but this was the best he could find. I note that it is a Fixed TSA combination lock does this mean customs at airports can access without your knowledge?
Any thoughts on this I have tried googling / utubing but cant find anything on this actual lock.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 am

Re: Is this suitcase reasonably secure?

It is difficult to assess the security of the case without examining it in person. Not having a zip is a good start! I would be looking at where the lock bolts/latches are located & if they can be shimmed. I would also look at the hinges - I've seen suitcases with a reasonable lock, but the hinge pins could be pushed out easily & the case opened from the hinge side.

Regarding TSA locks - any TSA lock can be opened by customs, they have a master key.

There are some TSA locks that do provide an indication that customs have opened the lock - for example, one I saw had a little indicator window, which would appear red if it had been opened by the master key.

Many suitcases are designed so you can lock them using a padlock of your choice - this is useful when you are travelling outside of areas where only TSA approved locks can be used. I don't live in the USA, but I believe customs can cut off any non TSA approved padlock to open your bag.

Hope that helps,

...Mark
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:26 am

I don't know about the combo lock but all the TSA locks that I have seen can be opened in a second with a bent bobby pin and I imagine that TSA keys are as common as bums.

Any valuables should be in the carry on bag if possible.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:28 am

Peterson mini knife and about 2 minutes out of your control.

Better than some, not as good as others.

Suitcases, imo.......are not secure containers.
Then you are forced to hand them over to a group known to have security problems.

Best advice is don't pack or hand over anything that your worried about losing.

That case makes other cases more attractive as a target. Imo.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:33 am

None of the locks on these things are what anyone here would call secure, but this is probably as good as you can get. The TSA has to be able to open the bag for inspection. I don't believe Customs (at least in the US) will open your bag unless you are present but the TSA can for security reasons.

That being said, there are other things that you might want to consider. I travel extensively and have had many different bags. In my experience, the single biggest failure point on any roller bag has been the wheels. This bag has four wheels which make it easy to roll in any direction, but the casters are not recessed in the bag in any way and are more prone to getting knocked off or damaged. If anything happens to just one caster, the bag will be difficult if not impossible to roll easily. I have yet to see a bag with casters that can be replaced. Even some bags with only two wheels can be problematic since the construction of the wheels and bearings isn't great and on most bags the wheels can't be replaced if they go bad. I am speaking from personal experience here.

Also, the plastic hardshell bags are fairly durable, but once damaged, they are pretty much ruined since the shell is compromised. While it's not likely they will be damaged, it can and does happen.

A good compromise is a bag similar to this one:

http://www.stopoverstore.com/product/91 ... h-22-inch/

I have a variant of this bag that has lasted for years. The wheels are recessed and you can replace the stock wheels with roller blade wheels which roll very smoothly. The zipper for the main compartment is much larger and heavier duty than those that you find on most bags and can be secured with a TSA lock. The downside to these is that they are heavier than other bags due to their metal frame construction. But they are repairable. You can send them back to the company for repairs, zipper replacement, etc. for free if they are in warranty and of course for a fee if they are out of warranty.

They're a little spendy as well, but worth every penny.

A cheaper alternative that has recessed wheels but isn't as secure is something like this. Overall a nice bag but the zipper isn't as heavy duty as it is on the previous bag.

And if you recently won the lottery and want to spend a little more and still have a hard side bag, you could try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Halliburton-Zerol ... B002GTK3GE

Made of aluminum with partially recessed wheels. Very durable.

Good luck!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:42 am

Typical airline baggage handling practices show up in the background of this video starting at 17 seconds...

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Typical airline baggage handling practices show up in the background of this video starting at 17 seconds...

Gordon

LOL Gordon...that looks pretty typical.

And here's what happens after they get them off of the airplane...

-Mike
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:42 am

Get some Pelican hard case luggage. Put your own locks on it. Preferably narrow shutter locks so they have to come get you to unlock them if they want to search it.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:15 am

flywheel wrote:Get some Pelican hard case luggage. Put your own locks on it. Preferably narrow shutter locks so they have to come get you to unlock them if they want to search it.

Flywheel,

They don't have to come and find you. They will just cut them off. I've seen it happen. Jump to the checked bag section of this article.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/packing-tip

When it comes to screening, the TSA has pretty broad authority.

-Mike
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:46 am

Hence the shutter locks. Can't exactly cut the shackle with those. They are liable for damage to your luggage. Anyway, 100% of luggage is x-rayed. After the beams pass through your clothes and toiletries I doubt they will go to the trouble of destroying your bag to get inside.
But then again, there's always a new story about the TSA doing something that has nothing to do with safety of the aircraft.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey Flywheel,

I agree that shutter locks wouldn't be as easy to remove as other types of locks. But just as with carry-on bags, they are required to randomly search checked bags even after x-ray screening. I would suggest that any bag with a non TSA approved lock would probably be targeted for random screening. If they find the lock is difficult to remove, it's possible and even likely that your bag is going to get set aside and isn't going to make it on the flight, and they will STILL find a way to get into your bag. They may or may not try to find you, but even then you run the risk of missing your flight.

All I'm saying is that you're running a risk by putting non TSA approved locks on your bags. I've worked in the airline industry for over 20 years and have seen multiple bags with destroyed locks or clipped zipper pulls and a little sticker from the TSA that said they inspected your bag. They're not fond of people who try to game the system, even if that wasn't your intent.

-Mike
<<

scudo

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks all for your input, I have forwarded the relevant info to my friend and also a couple of the links so he can make an informed decision on what to purchase.
Interesting when you take up lock picking as a hobby and you are suddenly elevated to being a security expert by family and friends. :-)
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:02 pm

A sales rep I know who flies on a regular basis and was having troubles with his luggage being opened and valuable sales samples disappearing from his cases, told me how he solved the problem. I haven't verified if his facts are correct, but if they are, it seems to be a decent solution.

He uses the newer Pelican cases with the metal reinforcement around the shackle holes. He uses Abloy 321 padlocks to secure the cases. That makes them reasonably secure from tampering, but wouldn't solve the problem of TSA cutting off the locks if they wanted to "inspect" them. So he got a couple of Airsoft pistols. He declares them at checkin and puts one in a pistol case in each Pelican case. The airline marks the Pelican cases with a tag stating that they have a declared firearm inside.

He told me that according to FAA regulations, he is REQUIRED to padlock the cases when they contain a declared firearm, and that if TSA wants to inspect the contents of a case with a declared firearm they are required to do it with the owner present. He said he's never had a lock cut off by TSA.

I wouldn't recommend doing this on an international flight since so many countries have restrictive laws regarding not only firearms, but also firearm replicas. Since the Airsoft pistols are not real firearms, he said they don't cause him any trouble within the USA even when travelling through states with heavily restrictive firearm laws.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 pm

I think everything that MBI said is correct. Firearms are required to be in a locked hard shell case, and they MUST be declared. If the TSA wants to inspect the bag, they have to make contact with you and if they don't, the bag doesn't go on the airplane.

This seems like a good work around!

-Mike
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Thought the law was changed requiring that the airlines NOT mark a piece of luggage as containing a declared firearm inside, as that made the luggage a target for theft. The luggage was checked on arrival with TSA present, then locked by the traveller, after which TSA, nor anybody else, was allowed to open it without the traveller present. Maybe when they scan the check ticket, it will inform them that there is a firearm, but no external markings are allowed, if what I heard is true. May have heard just a proposed change to the law, and am not a lawyer, but 'that's the way I hear'd it'.

Gordon

EDIT - just checked.

II. AIRLINE REQUIREMENTS

To be lawful, any firearm checked in luggage must follow the TSA’s requirements along with any other specific requirements of the airline. However, by federal law, the airline is not allowed to mark the baggage as containing firearms. Firearms have been stolen and/or lost from checked luggage, so insurance may be an important consideration.

Source used: http://www.gunlawsbystate.com/#!/interstate-transportation/flying-by-commercial-airline-scheduled-flight/iii-airline-requirements/

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
Next

Return to Uber-Noob