FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Deciding on a cutaway lock / first pick set..

<<

Ramon-R87

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Deciding on a cutaway lock / first pick set..

Hello everyone,

My name is Ramon, I'm from Holland and I'm new here and have never picked a lock before. I recently watched a bunch of lockpicking videos on YT and decided I want to give it a try. I love to challenge myself. so this seems like a nice hobby!

I'd like to get a repinnable cut-away lock so I can really see what I'm doing when learning. Also the fact that I can progressively add more pins seems like a good way to master the basics. I saw this lock on Ebay, would this be a good one to start practising with? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321342748009

Also for my first pick set I was thinking about the Southord Slim line, consindering I need to work with the smaller European locks. I don't really have the time or tools to create my own picks at the moment. Would this be a good set?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Ramon
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Deciding on a cutaway lock / first pick set..

Hi Ramon.

Welcome to the forum.

My advice would be to get one of Mr Wizards repinable locks. They are not cutaways but there are plenty of diagrams as to what is happening inside a pin tumbler lock.

http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7972&hilit=mr+Wizard.

Picking a lock is done mostly (completely ??) by feel and being able to see when pins align with the shear line will not help you develop the feel, IMHO.

Just pick the lock upside down to emulate a euro cylinder. :D

As for tools check out the TOOLS/PRODUCT REVIEWS section. There is a wealth of information on commercial sets there.

Again welcome. You have embarked on a most addictive hobby. Once you pop your first lock - you'll be hooked.

Just remember - don't pick a lock is that is in use.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Ramon,

Welcome to the forum and to lockpicking.

As a starting point I think your selections are fine. An SO slimline set is a good starting set for a Euro beginner.

I agree with what Neilau posted about cutaway locks but I will say that cutaway locks are good for actually seeing how a pin type behaves. With a cutaway lock you can actually see for yourself how a spool, mushroom, barrel, serrated etc. pin behaves and this knowledge will then allow you to visualise what is happening when you pick a non-cutaway lock. Reading about how a serrated pin gets trapped at the shear line is one thing but actually seeing it so that you can later put an image to the tactile feedback is another matter altogether. Do a YT video search for xeo's pin experiments to see what I mean.

If you can afford it get both a cutaway and one of Mr Wizards repinnable locks. Also get yourself a small hobby vise, don't get into the bad habit of holding cylinders in your hands to pick them; this habit will slow down your skill development because the lock-holding hand is receiving feedback and being manouvered. Hold only padlocks in your hand to pick them.

Also, the tension wrench and tensioning behaviour is just as important as the picking, especially so when you progress to security pins and high tolerance locks. Learn to tension only so much as is needed to force a bind and don't think of the tensioning as static and constant because this will impede your ability with security pins. If you are pressing a pin and it will not move then reduce the tension, don't just keep pushing: you don't want to bend your picks and you are the one in control of the tension.

Generally speaking, the tighter the fit of the tension wrench the better because it will give you better feedback and better control. I know you said you don't have the time and tools to make picks and that is fair enough but you should at least learn to make your own tension tool. You really only need pliers and a file. Use wiper blade inserts, street sweeper bristles, bicycle spokes and music wire to make them. With difficult keyways a custom made tensioner will often help immensely.

The Nederlands has a vibrant locksport community so make use of that if you can. Holland is a good place to be a lockpicker: locksport clubs, cool Euro locks, openness of locksmiths to hobbyists.

Good luck and be patient and persistent.
<<

Deadlock

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:10 pm

+1 on what piotr said.
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:11 pm

:agree: :agree:

Thanks Pitor, you are totally correct. Seeing what security pins pins are doing when you are picking them is a great help.

Also your advice on tensioning is spot on.

I was still half asleep when I wrote the reply and didn't think it all the way through. :oops:

As always - great advice.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Welcome Ramon! I'm Mike. Very good to meet you :)

The cutaway you're considering: it certainly looks like a nice one from what I can tell.

And the slimline picks you're looking at: When it comes to picks, much of it is personal preference.
I'll give you my opinion, and there'll be plenty others to follow. TON of helpful people around here
with a TON of helpful advice! I myself really like SouthOrd's slimlines and I think you'll like them.
They're a nice 'middle of the road' pick in terms of quality and price. I've picked with them almost
exclusively for several years now. Although I did finally purchase a nice set of Petersons recently.

Again, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll like it here.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Ramon-R87

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and sound advice!

I tried to respond to this thread earlier, but it seems my reply disappeared, so I'll try again :-)!

Following the tips everyone gave, I made a decision for my first purchase. I'm going to go with the cutaway lock first, practice on that and then I'll get one of Mr. Wizzard repinable locks a little bit later on (thanks for the tip on that Neilau). I figure I don't have to look at the side, but do like having the possibility, so I can really understand how different pins work and react to different tools like Piotr mentioned. I really just want to make a first step in lockpicking, then I'll go from there. I really want to take my time to learn the fundamentals and progressively make it harder for myself, so I can have a lot of little succes moments along the way.

Nice to meet you too Mike! Thanks for sharing your experience with the slimline. This makes me confident that this will be a good pickset for me to learn with. I don't really know what I would like in a pick yet, so a decent 'middle of the road' set would serve me well.

Thanks for the elaborate advice Piotr! I'll keep those tips on the tension wrench and vise in mind when I get to practicing. The hard part now is waiting for my order to arrive, which is a good lesson in patience! :smile: I'll definitely try to make some tension wrenches myself, that would be very doable indeed especially if it gives you an advantage for some locks! Also good to know that there's a lively lockpick community in my country, I really didn't know that!

Thanks again for the tips everyone! I really appreciate it!

Ramon
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 am

Ramon,

A practice exercise that should help is trying to see how little tension you can use and still open the lock. The answer will amaze you.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Ramon-R87

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks Gordon, I'll keep that exercise in mind when everything arrives :-)!
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:37 pm

Exciting times! Keep us updated.

p.s. PLENTY of reading to be had around here to help
pass the time while you're waiting for your new toys :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Ramon-R87

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:22 pm

I'll post some pictures of everything once it arrives Oldfast :-)!

Indeed a lot of information on this forum and have also been watching a lot of videos on YouTube..
<<

scudo

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:04 pm

I figure I don't have to look at the side, but do like having the possibility, so I can really understand how different pins work and react to different tools like Piotr mentioned.

Being a newbie myself I have to admit that the cutaway I purchased has been most useful, at first I thought its a bit like cheating but I keep going back to it trying to understand the little differences I detect in normal locks, for me its been a very useful tool. Yes I can SPP it and my other padlocks (low level stuff) but the picture in my head of one padlock has totally changed as I now understand just that bit more of the internals. the cutaway is a 6 pin but I am only up to 5 pins so far and then I have the option of spools which came with the lock. I decided to go against my enthusiasm and slowly build my experience with the cutaway which so far appears to have paid off...for me.

I wish you well and can understand the excitement of waiting for the new tools to arrive....just wish my wife could understand my enthusiasm for a shiny piece of metal and a boring looking padlock. :-)

Enjoy
<<

Ramon-R87

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks scudo!

I can imagine the wife not really sharing the enjoyment.. Weirdly enough though my girlfriend seems to find it at least a bit interesting as well and she even watched some videos of lockpicking. So maybe I can get her to try it as well haha! :-)

I'm glad you had good experiences with the cutaway! I''ll try gradually adding pins like you are doing as well.

I wish you a lot of joy too!
<<

scudo

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:43 pm

I''ll try gradually adding pins like you are doing as well.

I would add its not just about opening a lock its understanding how you are doing it, thats why I deliberately slowed my pace with the cutaway.

Hey my wife was also enthusiastic to start with but after 40 years of marriage she didnt quite trust me when I said put these handcuffs on and I will pick the lock.....I think I blew it at that point :-)
<<

Deadlock

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Hehehe... so many jokes there - all old so I won't bother. Seriously, there's apparently a way to pick handcuffs with a biro top. I've got an idea how to do it, but I don't have any handcuffs. Anyone know?
Next

Return to Uber-Noob