FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

illinois815 Having trouble with Masters

<<

Neilau

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm

illinois815 Having trouble with Masters

Hi people.

I’ve started this thread because we seem to have hijacked JT156 introduction post and a new thread will probably generate more help for Illinois.

Hope that's not out of line :???:

Illinois wrote “I'm still reading as many posts as I can about trying to get into Master padlocks. So far I have a #1 and #3 that are still virgins. Tried everything except top of the key tension. Have never had a wrench to do it real well, so I'll be trying to do a homemade one and see if that helps me adjust the proper tension. Been using a half diamond, a bogota, and a short hook so far with absolutely no success, but there are a lot more posts to read. If I could just rip it open once, I'd feel better”

And

“Thanks rerun - Have got the wiper blanks, and I sure as H@ll don't need anymore masters. Got (2) now that are kicking my behind, but appreciate the offer. My next thing is making a torque wrench that fits the top and bottom of the keyhole. Hoping that will change my luck”.

My two cents:

Master #1 & #3 will usually succumb to a small/medium half diamond jiggled/scrubbed. :halfdiamond:

Try varying the tension, even bouncing the tension tool a little. Start off light and work up. Also don't be too heavy handed with the pick.

If they are old locks, some lubrication (not WD40 or graphite -- circuit board cleaner works well) will help (also, a new lock can benefit).

To give you a bit of confidence (and THAT feeling) get a couple of cheap Chinese locks from the dollar shop or whatever you have there. Then go back to your Masters.

Don’t give up. Check out Medicopen’s post re: his Master Pro. For some inspiration.

Hang in there -- you’ll get it.

Anyone else got any suggestions for Illinois and his Master problems.

Cheers
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: illinois815 Having trouble with Masters

Neilau wrote:Hi people.

I’ve started this thread because we seem to have hijacked JT156 introduction post and a new thread will probably generate more help for Illinois.

Hope that's not out of line :???:

Illinois wrote “I'm still reading as many posts as I can about trying to get into Master padlocks. So far I have a #1 and #3 that are still virgins. Tried everything except top of the key tension. Have never had a wrench to do it real well, so I'll be trying to do a homemade one and see if that helps me adjust the proper tension. Been using a half diamond, a bogota, and a short hook so far with absolutely no success, but there are a lot more posts to read. If I could just rip it open once, I'd feel better”

And

“Thanks rerun - Have got the wiper blanks, and I sure as H@ll don't need anymore masters. Got (2) now that are kicking my behind, but appreciate the offer. My next thing is making a torque wrench that fits the top and bottom of the keyhole. Hoping that will change my luck”.

My two cents:

Master #1 & #3 will usually succumb to a small/medium half diamond jiggled/scrubbed. :halfdiamond:

Try varying the tension, even bouncing the tension tool a little. Start off light and work up. Also don't be too heavy handed with the pick.

If they are old locks, some lubrication (not WD40 or graphite -- circuit board cleaner works well) will help (also, a new lock can benefit).

To give you a bit of confidence (and THAT feeling) get a couple of cheap Chinese locks from the dollar shop or whatever you have there. Then go back to your Masters.

Don’t give up. Check out Medicopen’s post re: his Master Pro. For some inspiration.

Hang in there -- you’ll get it.

Anyone else got any suggestions for Illinois and his Master problems.

Cheers

I've got a #1 that kicked my butt when I first got it.I used every pick I had,with TOK and BOK using light and heavy tension.I kept working at it and one day it just opened.After that it is fairly easy for me now.I advise him to just keep at it. I got so bored of picking it that I decided to impression a key for it. :smile:

Edit; I went back and picked it again so I could add that a half diamond seems to work the fastest for me.
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:51 am

We'll I'm not sure I'm qualified yet to give advise but from one noob to the next the best advise I could give is make sure you have a pick small enough to get in there... What pick are you using? There was no way around filing down a southord short hook to be able to spp the 2 masters I have....
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:12 am

small key, small pick. commercial picks are just too big for most things, they do that so nubies can apply reall force on them and not bend them too much.
they aren't really made for picking locks, they're made for making money selling them. to use them you have to modify them. take down the width of the pickshaft, and make the picktip smaller. then sand it smooth on tip and shaft.
<<

illinois815

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I will take all of your suggestions.
<<

illinois815

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Success!!! Took everyone's advice and as of 2 days ago, Masterlock No#3 has been single picked CCW with a half diamond. Several times to make sure it wasn't just luck. Now on to Masterlock No#1 which is still a virgin. When and if I get this one I'll then start reading up on how to rip\rake a padlock. Another new venture for me.

Thanks everyone. Couldn't have done it without you.

Hale
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Great job, Hale! :hbg: You are doing great!

I started picking Master padlocks with a bobby pin teardrop pick, then picked hundreds with a half diamond. The biggest thing is light tension at first, as most beginners use too much tension.

Proud of you!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Congratulations. :hbg:

Now that you have succeeded there will be no turning back.

The “Bug has bitten” :akimbo:

Here’s to many more successes.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:18 pm

Think it is more like the bear trap has closed. You is hooked. Resistance is futile.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ghost1

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Worse than crack it is that little click WELCOME to our addiction.

Return to Uber-Noob