FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

why does this payphone seem impossible?

<<

Slimpickens

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:09 pm

why does this payphone seem impossible?

CAM00995.jpg
So there's four tumblers in here. I however feel dumb cause other than being an interesting zig zag keyway, I though it would be easy. Stuck a serrated tok wrench in there a short hook, then a gem, then reach, 2 rakes.... Long story short it ain't happening. Have set 1 pin, maybe. Any insight? It's cool cause the other lock at the top of this armored monster has a similar zig zag keyway but apparently uses alien technology, as it has no tumblers. Thanks in advance, I'm sure someone has come across these. P.s. I acquired this legally, and it's full of change. Would rather pick it (no destruction), so I can use it as a phone. But this f@#$%r refuses to yield.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Re: why does this payphone seem impossible?

pretty sure those are lever locks. much different to pick than pin tumbler. :)
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Slimpickens

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Top is bottom tumbler
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:29 am

Keep in mind… Payphones are designed to STRONGLY resist vandalism. They are ( were ) often installed in remote unsecure locations…
My experience with payphones is the cashbox is far more secure than any “ Safe” sold at *mart.
My suggestion would be to buy a new cash box to fit that phone …. You are probably going to destroy the box to get it open, the replacement box will give you some idea on drill ,cut locations.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:14 am

it's a Medeco payphone lock, if you are a beginner picker only luck will be on your side. Use an L rake or a half diamond, a hook pick wont open a Medeco unless you're very intimate with how a Medeco cam lock works. The pins don't just lift to the shear line, they also rotate -20, 0, or +20 degrees in order for a sidebar to fall into the holes milled into the sides of the pins. Even at 4 pins, they can be a real chore to pick.

Here's one on ebay, I think you'll find this is what you have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200983317369?lpid=82

At first I also thought you had a 29B Western Electric lever lock as others mentioned, just be happy you dont have Abloy locks on that thing..
Here's a Western Electric lever lock keyway: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200881006263

Edit: I just re-read your post, it would see you have Medeco bottom and Western Electric on top. I think you'll find the top door overlaps the bottom so you have to open the top first before you can remove the bottom. You wont be picking that Western Electric lock, I doubt any of us here could. Read this paper by Matt Blaze, it's very informational: http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/wecolock/

hope this helps,
Squelchtone
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 am

hi can we see some photos of the actual keyways-locks ! on the phone
<<

Slimpickens

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah real sorry bout that. I figured payphones a payphone, but there's a couple different setups. Ilk be gone from work by 5, I'll snap n post immediately, sorry for the newb mistake. On a aside note, that's my, brand new, "Ken's"set, in the lower left corner of frame. (very proud of these) first new pics in almost 20 years!
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:56 pm

NO worries ! id like to see the exact dimensions of the zig zag key way documented ?? if the stump can be viewed from a small hole a picking may be possible of this unpickable lever lock !

If this lever lock was picked in the passed it was done with a straight wire threw a pin point hole in casing that could easily be covered over and go un-noticed

and could be done in a few minutes with the right training
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

probably like this: Image
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:33 pm

posted up in the secure area ! enjoy... ask one of the admin for access to this area as the possible opening method is part drilling it belongs in there (Mod Power)
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 am

Here is 10ringo10's post: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=8554
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:03 pm

If you can pick the cash box lock, you can get the change out without picking the top lock too, but to hook the phone up, you'd need to get to the electronics in the top part, and that means picking the top lock! I've never been able to pick a payphone lever lock, nor do I have picks for one. I did drill one out once, but that was no skill and all sweat and frustration.

Good luck!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:13 pm

The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Slimpickens

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Camera broken. But yes lever top, medeco bottom. Will drill out top, cause not interested in learning that type of lock. But working hard on that medeco.... Do you rotate to set side bar first, or set pins to shear first. Also having trouble rotating pins at all. Anyone know if the have the little groove GOIN up one side so you know which way to line them up? Or is this done just by feel?
<<

Slimpickens

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Hardest four pin lock ever! It says I can't read Ringo post.... Im not special enough
Next

Return to Uber-Noob