FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Peterson's mini ripple rakes?

<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Peterson's mini ripple rakes?

Anyone have any info on these? I can't find any reviews and am looking to add a few more picks to my collection. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:01 am

Re: Peterson's mini ripple rakes?

Presumedsublime wrote:Anyone have any info on these? I can't find any reviews and am looking to add a few more picks to my collection. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

I've had the 3 Mini Ripples with me for around 6 months, and I'm happy with them. But saying that, I've only recently began to get into them, so I don't think I've really perfected a technique or fully recognized where they do well and where they fail.

One lock type I've had some good results are 4 and 5 wafer locks, such as cabinet locks, display cases and sliding doors on glass cases. I apply a gentle rocking motion while I very slightly move the Ripples cuts over the wafers. With minor tension, they pop very quickly. If a display case lock is just about at floor level for example, they would save a lot of messin around.

As I think you may have read, they are intended to be used by pushing all pin stacks at once (while applying no tension), and only to apply minor tension once the stacks have moved. This is why they are designed in variety of 3 (to mimic common key cuts). I think I'm right in saying that this approach was first used in Falle-Safe picks, and Petersons have *cough* "admired" the design! :D

I haven't really much explored how they get on with pin tumblers mainly because most of the locks I've been playing with have quite restrictive keyways. I haven't tried the Ripples in them as I've felt sure there wouldn't be enough room in the keyway. But I'm saying that without trying. I should give them more time, and it's possible they will give results with pin tumblers. Petersons or Falle-Safe are not into picking gimmicks as such, so I think they would be worth it, if I gave them a chance.

In short, I'm happy I got them, but I wouldn't call them to be an essential addition to a work set. Just nice extras that are nice to have if you're into that sort of thing, and you don't mind spending the cash on them. I say: Get them, get a technique together that you're happy with, then either declare them as Keepers or sell them on. I don't think you'll have anything to regret from that point of view.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by MrAnybody on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 am

These are more correctly called riffle rakes. I have never been successful in using them on a pin tumbler lock. They are, however terrific for use on wafer locks, including Automotive locks.

In the case of a pin tumbler lock, a riffle rake will always be my last choice, just before applying the drill.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

DisputedUltraLemon

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

I have not experience with those in particular, however, I can recommend the rake that Peterson sells called "The Wave" as opposed to a wake rake. It is kinda funky looking and at a glance seems as if it would only jam up any lock you stuck it into. But, it doesn't! No-siree-bob! It is particularly effective against BEST keyways that it can physically fit into. I would definitely recommend getting one of those if you enjoy developing your raking skills. Yes, raking is in fact a skill and can be a quite sophisticated one if one is using raking to open tougher locks.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 am

LOL! When I first read the topic, I woulda sworn that it said "nipple rakes!" I was wondering that the hell that was!

-Elbow :akimbo:
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 am

Did someone say nipple rakes?

peterdong.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 am

xeo wrote:Did someone say nipple rakes?

peterdong.jpg

I think Elbow meant "Nipple shapes!"

:D
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am

fgarci03 wrote:

peterdong.jpg

No, no, no! you've got it all wrong, we're talking about nipple clamps.

Aren't we?

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm

MrAnybody wrote:
fgarci03 wrote:

peterdong.jpg

No, no, no! you've got it all wrong, we're talking about nipple clamps.

Aren't we?

Damn, why are we discussing S&M on a lockpicking site?
Ahhhhh! Yeah, handcuffs!

Fluffy furry handcuffs! :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Josh66

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

The pitch between cuts on the "mini" version really looks too close to be useful on a pin tumbler...

Xeo's dick picks are awesome though. Perfect handle for a rake - the raking motion will probably feel natural with one of those in your hand, lol.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 pm

@ Xeo... haaaAAAAAA! Holy shit.... now THAT's funny.

DisputedUltraLemon wrote:...Yes, raking is in fact a skill and can be a quite sophisticated one if one is using raking to open tougher locks.
Ya know, I'd have to say there's certainly some truth to that. It IS a skill that does take some time
and practice to become consistent with. It's a skill I've not yet mastered. Most likely because I've
spent no time doing it. That would also explain why I'm not too successful with it on the rare
occasions that I actually try it, lol. Welcome to the forum btw.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 am

I haven't seen the picks in hand, but MR anybody mentions using them on small wafer locks, and small wafer locks have some difficult keyways for most full size picks, so that you have to have a mini pick to get at them effectively
Just yesteday, I ran into one of those little keyways and I happened to have the mini rake in my pocket, no other pick could fit in there with full size tension. with a pick that fits, its actually very easy.
mine was of course handmade and bogota in miniature. what did ya expect, thats all I carry.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 am

rai wrote:I haven't seen the picks in hand, but MR anybody mentions using them on small wafer locks, and small wafer locks have some difficult keyways for most full size picks, so that you have to have a mini pick to get at them effectively
Just yesteday, I ran into one of those little keyways and I happened to have the mini rake in my pocket, no other pick could fit in there with full size tension. with a pick that fits, its actually very easy.
mine was of course handmade and bogota in miniature. what did ya expect, thats all I carry.

That's because you ARE MISTER Bogota!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Norseman

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 am

Since we already passed a few boundaries, I can tell you that the world pick, is pronounced the same way as the Norwegian word pikk, meaning dick. So you can imagine the way I'm smiling some time while reading posts on how to getting access to a tight keyway, using a rocking motion while using the right amount of tension... :cool:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Norseman wrote:Since we already passed a few boundaries, I can tell you that the world pick, is pronounced the same way as the Norwegian word pikk, meaning dick. So you can imagine the way I'm smiling some time while reading posts on how to getting access to a tight keyway, using a rocking motion while using the right amount of tension... :cool:

Take it that means you don't go running around telling your friends you are trying to find a good pick? :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Uber-Noob