FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Mounting locks, Knobs, & Cylinders for Practice

<<

putts

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Mounting locks, Knobs, & Cylinders for Practice

Hey all,

Well, I've worked through a couple Kwikset and Defiant locks but, now that it's post spring break and I'm back in the broken lock Apartments [see other [url]http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?p=67676#p67599]posts[/url]] my space is at a premium and, I don't have 2x6's or hole-saws to make "doors" out of. What I've done thus far is take the practice locks apart, removed the shaft (part that connects the 'cam' to the throw mechinism/latch and other knob/thumb-turn) and mounted the cylinder part to 2 1x4's. (1x's are all I've got in the room from making a shelf. Otherwise I'd go 2x) Obviously we know that the cylinder is the part we work on and 'pick' so I assume that it will still allow practice of the mechanics of picking abd setting but, tension will be far different than if the whole knob or deadbolt was assembled. Is this a bad idea for practicing or, will this provide a fairly realistic sense without all the excess space taken up?

Pics if you need to see what I mean: (ignore the oops on the over tightened mounting screw...ehm, oops)

Front:
Mount.Front.jpg

Back:
Mount.Back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Re: Mounting locks, Knobs, & Cylinders for Practice

Looks like it would work. I almost always pick in hand or in a small vise.
They had some door assemblies mocked up at the locksport meeting with knobs and deadbolts installed. Pretty simple and they just sit on a bench or desk.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I just use a stanley multi-angle vice. You're right, tension is a little different when the lock is mounted; in the case of night latches anyway... but honestly it's negligable. You only need extra tension once it's fully picked, and it's usually not that much. There is a distinct pop once the pins are all set so it isn't that much different to picking it without the backset attached. You don't get the same false set and counter rotation with spools when they're mounted in a door, but they still pick easily enough. Just have to push the pins further before you feel them bind, although if you pile the tension on and control it from there, you can deal with them normally. It's a different feel, but not much harder. Kinda like padlocks with spools and a spring return, ie. corbin and chubb, only stuck to a wall. I wouldn't think too much about it. :mrgreen:

From what I've seen, american deadbolts like the one pictured don't have a spring return so in your case there'd actually be no difference whether it's mounted in a vice or a door. When you have a good feel for what you're doing it won't take long to adjust to something with a spring return anyway so it's all good. Just practise whatever way you can!
<<

putts

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks guys. I've got some door mock-ups at home but, a lock mounted in one of those takes up twice as much space as mounted in this fashion and, doesn't 'sit' anywhere conveniently! Glad that I didn't make a major mistake and deprive myself of some major experience. As a newbie, I'm just looking to get my feet wet and feel the pins move, bind, and set! I worked on the mounted locks a bit and the 2 mountings didn't feel too much difference besides the tension applied to turn the lock once picked but, I figured that could be that I don't know what to feel for.

Thanks guys, always appreciate the feedback, thoughts, and support!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Solomon wrote:I just use a stanley multi-angle vice.

+1 on the Stanley vice.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-MaxSteel- ... B000UOJF66

I've had this for about 3 years and have had no problems. Excellent vice for picking locks.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:16 pm

I copied you because you're my fucking hero. :mrgreen:
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 pm

DSC03803.JPG

DSC03802.JPG

Harbor Freight Hobby Vice: ~$15
Glass from a fancy scale to mount the vice better: Free from craigslist
Part of an old Corbin Mortise Cylinder Assembly: Free from construction site dumpster.

Although the Glass base and Mortise Cylinder bit is unnecessary, as most hobby vices come with rubber jaw covers that will prevent the vice from marring up your cylinders. I use the set up shown w/o the rubber covers simply because it transfers sound better through the vice, desk, tripod and to my camera making feedback more noticeable in picking videos.

A vice is definitely a good investment; You can quickly and easily mount virtually any cylinder into the vice and just as easily switch to the next. Another bonus is that one of these vices can be easily stowed away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Return to Uber-Noob