FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Dimple Locks?

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Dimple Locks?

how do dimple locks work? i've seen wiz pick that yale lock...i've seen ufgrigger pick that one from master lock...but i don't even know what a dimple lock really looks like on the inside or how it even works. can anyone clue me in?
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Re: Dimple Locks?

Dimple locks work on the exact same principles as regular pin tumbler locks,
drivers,keypins,a shearline etc.,
The main difference is that instead of the key bitting being cut into the edge of the key,
the bitting is bored into the SIDE of the key,in the form of dimples, cut to corresponding depths.
Pictured below are a mul-T-lock, the yale i picked on yt, and a euro profile dimple lock+key.
does this clear up any confusion ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm

awol70 wrote:Dimple locks work on the exact same principles as regular pin tumbler locks,
The main difference is that instead of the key bitting being cut into the edge of the key,
the bitting is bored into the SIDE of the key,in the form of dimples, cut to corresponding depths.
Pictured below are a mul-T-lock, the yale i picked on yt, and a euro profile dimple lock+key.

thanks wiz. it clears up a lot of confusion. so it doesn't mean that it's harder to pick?
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:
awol70 wrote:Dimple locks work on the exact same principles as regular pin tumbler locks,

thanks wiz. it clears up a lot of confusion. so it doesn't mean that it's harder to pick?

actually , in a way , yes, because of the learning curve, the need for improvised tools,
and the relative obscurity of dimple locks in north america,
dimples are somewhat harder to pick.. (at least from my perspective .)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:27 pm

I must admit...I'm afraid of dimple locks. I have never gotten one open. But also haven't ever really sat down and worked at it.

Is there anything special about the pins themselves other than their orientation?

Do they have the same range of depth as regular tumbler pins?

Can't seem to find a diagram or pic of a cutaway.

Edit: Just found the Mul-T-Lock thread
:oops:

Return to Uber-Noob