FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Progressing past kwikset?

<<

hisse

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Progressing past kwikset?

Hi all, I'm fairly new to Lockpicking, after a small variety of locks I'm looking at suggestions of where to go from here.
So far the list is as follows :
Master 141D
Fortress 1843D
Fortress 1803D
5x kwikset Deadbolt now pinned w/ 1-5 pins
Kwikset Titan Deadbolt
Yale deadbolt w/ 5 mushroom pins

The only one on that list that I haven't been able to pick is the Yale and for a newbie that has been a bit of the lock from hell until I took it apart and realized why. All of the deadbolts were picked up from a habitat restore without keys and were pretty gummed up so I figured they would be harder but all of the kwikset locks have been ridiculously easy. I find the padlocks harder because of the limited keyway space.

Where is the next logical step up from the kwikset 5 and 6 pins deadbolts? I don't want to spend too much all at once but would it make sense to go to a higher end door lock or pad lock for practice or to get some security pins for the kwiksets and learn those? On one side I'm think the odds of finding one of multiple security pins in a kwikset key way are very low( aside from defiants with one spool) but the key way is nice a spacious for practice. On the other hand a more restricted key way like a schlage is likely to have security pins but is a bit of a pain in the ass for practicing on.

What have people had success with here? I wish it was as easy to find cheap restricted key way locks to progressive pin as it is to find kiwkset locks.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Progressing past kwikset?

Hello, and welcome to the abyss.

Looks like you're off to a decent start. Try to get your hands on a Sargent or Schlage (Not SecureKey). Those are tighter in tolerance. Next I would recommend BEST/Falcon/Arrow SFIC (Small format interchangeable) and American Lock 1100 series with :serrated: :spoorated: :serkeypin: and you can get your hands dirty on some security pins. Corbins and Russwins are also fun and some of them have annoying keyways you can learn how to deal with. For spools I would try some Abus padlocks which can be found at local hardware stores. After that you're getting into high security territory with Medeco and ASSA style. It would be well worth the investment in getting your hands on some LAB serrated pins and spool pins so you can pin up locks yourself and teach yourself how to deal with security pins. You have quite a long road ahead of you if you choose to persist.

What tools are you using?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

hisse

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Thank you for the suggestions about the locks that Definitely helps with some ideas, also the LAB pin suggestion, I had been searching for pins but aside from reprinting kits hadn't had much luck, they seem to be about what I was looking for.

As for tools, I'm currently using a stainless steel small hook and a narrow falle style hook somewhat like :shorthook: :reach: that I've made, I'm using a stainless steel tension wrench with a 90* twist in it as well. They've been working great so far, I also have a bogota style half diamond I have to finish still. I'm also waiting on a set I ordered as well to try those out and compare the pick shape of what I've made to see about improvements.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Stick around long enough and you won't have any problems finding what you need for the most part. What issues are you having with the Yale? Yale likes to use mushroom pins: :mush: that give a very recognizable plug rotation when lifted.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi hisse.
Get a bunch of different kinds from rehab stores, ask locksmiths for throw aways , or tell them you're into locksport and see if they will give you or sell cheap some locks / security pins. Worked for me.
The other thing you can do is look online on classified for your area (craigslist / Kijiji ) of people selling locks. If they are advertising LOTS of locks then they are probably locksmiths or lockies. If the person is a locksmith, then you can go have a look at their stuff. My going rate is $1 for a generic lock or $2 for brand name stuff. If you know it has security then it is worth more. Something exotic that you don't see much is worth more still. Last time I went lock shopping I went to a guys garage and he had boxes of locks of all kinds. I picked out about 25 locks and we settled on $30 bucks.
<<

hisse

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 am

My problem with the yale comes down to all 5 pins being mushroom pins and surprisingly good tolerances. I'm not used to anything more than one spool pin so the 5 mushroom pins are taking a bit of getting used to as far as avoiding false sets. The tolerances are also really tight which is forcing me to use a much lighter touch on the tension wrench for the pins to even move properly. Also I believe because of the tolerances even with a false set on the mushroom pins you don't get much of a turn at all compared to other locks i've seen so it's hard to detect. Overall the lock that was just thrown in with a bunch of cheap kwiksets is turning out to be a tricky little bugger.

Will standard top pins from kwikset or schlage locks work fine in the yale so i can switch out some of the mushrooms while i get used to picking them?
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 am

hisse wrote:My problem with the yale comes down to all 5 pins being mushroom pins and surprisingly good tolerances. I'm not used to anything more than one spool pin so the 5 mushroom pins are taking a bit of getting used to as far as avoiding false sets. The tolerances are also really tight which is forcing me to use a much lighter touch on the tension wrench for the pins to even move properly. Also I believe because of the tolerances even with a false set on the mushroom pins you don't get much of a turn at all compared to other locks i've seen so it's hard to detect. Overall the lock that was just thrown in with a bunch of cheap kwiksets is turning out to be a tricky little bugger.

Will standard top pins from kwikset or schlage locks work fine in the yale so i can switch out some of the mushrooms while i get used to picking them?

Generally, tighter tolerances mean you need harder tension to detect binding pins, not lighter. Also, you never want to avoid a false set... however there are rare cases that you would want to on some of the high security locks. False sets put the lock into easy mode as you can visibly see progress and you will generally have an easier time setting the spooled drivers. As far as tolerances related to how big of a false set you get... there is no relation. It is purely mechanical. You could have the most precise lock in the world and it would still false set on a deep spool like a Kwikset. If you aren't getting a huge false set then there is probably another mushroom pin that is blocking the plug from fully "false setting". Also, You should be able to swap the pins between the Yale and Kwikset.

I hope that makes sense.... it is 7:30am and my eyes are half open.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image

Return to Uber-Noob