FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key sticks in new lock

<<

loninappleton

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Key sticks in new lock

Why is everything all white on black in here? I can't see where I'm going.

Here is my noob question.

My apartment complex put new latch sets on the doors and gave us new keys. None of the keys work freely in the barrel of the latch. I went to the local loclksmith and they told me they can
"set the key back to factory" for a $10.00 charge. When I asked if I'd get my money back if it didn't work they said no. well how would they know anyway if they did't have the lockset themselves might be the reply.

Elsewhere at Ehow they said to blackened the key in a candle. work the key into the jammed lock and retrieve it to see where the black was chewed off, then file to the mark.

Finally one of the other residents said the keys and locks are new and have to be worked in. This is doable and I can unlock the doors after wiggling and jiggling. But it is inconvenient and I'd like to know how to fix it.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: Key sticks in new lock

Welcome to the twilight zone.

No locks or keys should need to be "broken in" or wiggled or jiggled. Sounds like whoever installed them didn't do it properly or whoever cut the keys didn't space them properly on the blank.

What he was saying about filing and using a candle is called impressioning. It is a method where you can determine where something is binding and remove that material and then repeat the process until no more marks occur (the lock turns).
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 pm

You pay rent and the management is responsible for THEIR locks not you!

Call the management and have them fix them, if many are having this problem it seems a "no-brainer" that someone would of complained.

If the lock is YOUR property then fix it yourself, but since it is a apartment I would think the lock is the landowners / landlords property.
<<

loninappleton

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 pm

I wasn't very good at impressioning-- couldn't get the key to blacken up hardly at all holding it with a needle nose pliers. They keys were made at the Walmart-- the locksmith could ID the brand. Management is out of the city and a fix it guy comes in on occasion. What about that fix suggested by the locksmith? What does 'filing it back' to code mean? It just sounds wrong since material is removed to cut a key.

This whole business started because keys were getting broken off in the locks. I don't know if that is a substandard key issue or if the residents are forcing them.

Anyway thanks for prompt reply.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Don't go to walmart to make keys. They like to make fucked up copies where the cuts are off by thousands of an inch and will require wiggling to make it set the pins properly. Put the duplicate next to the original side by side and you'll see what I mean.

You can probably grind the tip down to compensate for the offset.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

loninappleton

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 pm

The common solution seems to be backing the key out a bit to get it to work better. I don't know as how filing the end would accomplish anything. We looked at the old key and the new ones and they look identical. But the other wrinkle is: the new lock is supposed to fit the old keys. But only some of the old keys work in the new locks. Mine doesn't and I tried the one original I keep in a drawer (and carry copies.) Even looking at the keys end-on they look to be the same thickness. What gives with that?

We are talking about common access doors in the building-- not individual apartment keys.

The one with the keys that work, well she said it's a matter of luck but I think that is foolish.

If I were making the keys I would go to the locksmith. I had a bad experience with a duplicate car key that didn't work on a very bad weather day which was made at a hardware store and would never do it again.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:45 pm

loninappleton wrote:The common solution seems to be backing the key out a bit to get it to work better. I don't know as how filing the end would accomplish anything.

The cuts are offset from where they are supposed to be. You'd need to add material to the tip of the key to make it work then in that case. Time to make some new keys.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

loninappleton

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Other thing with these new latch style door knobs (hospital-style or European rather than round knob) is that the lock barrel travels in the latch back and forward. This is part of the jiggle and wiggle procedure.

I'm also curious as to if there's some standard lock that these guys can go buy at the Walmart without any setup. Like I mentioned the old keys work in the new locks and also the old non-replaced ones downstairs. How secure is that?

Only thing I ever saw on the topic of locks before was some you tube that had full motion animation to show how locks work. It's interesting but I sure don't know how I could go to the locksmith and say 'here's my key, cut it a little differently.'
<<

loninappleton

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:09 pm

One other thing: could a black marker or something be used to impression the key. Prob'ly not paint but maybe some kind of ink.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Sounds like they didn't chuck the key in the machine properly when they cut it. I'd just deal with jimmying the key for now and ask the landlord to have some new keys made, even if it takes him a few days to get the property manager to get it done. Perhaps suggest they have them made somewhere other than WalMart.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:51 pm

I agree with MBI...get your keys cut at a real hardware store or a locksmith, instead of some kid running the machine at Wally World.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 pm

loninappleton wrote: .... I went to the local locksmith and they told me they can
"set the key back to factory" for a $10.00 charge. When I asked if I'd get my money back if it didn't work they said no. well how would they know anyway if they did't have the lockset themselves might be the reply........

Because they can cut the key by code .. making sure the spaces and depths are correct to factory specs. Most lock shops will not guarantee a code cut key without the lock in hand..

loninappleton wrote:...... But it is inconvenient and I'd like to know how to fix it.
Have you landlord buy some decent copies. not walmart where the kid copying keys was working in the mens wear dept yesterday and tomorrow will be in lawn and garden.
<<

loninappleton

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:40 pm

I forgot to say thanks for the help in here-- other things on my mind. But when I remembered I didn't sign off, I decided to stop back.

With some practice the keys are not that bad. There's a feel that's needed which shortens as you do it more often.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 am

can you pull the key out easily? if not try gripping the key right up on the face of the lock and making sure that the plug does not move outward as you withdraw the key,
if this works, then its just a matter of screwing down the back cap on that plug a bit tighter.

you didn't describe the malfunction and the trick to make it work, as many have said, your key could just be cut off register a bit, or if light jiggling makes it work, it might be cut a bit low, while stiff turning indicates a high cut.

as someone said, you can pull back on the key slightly to make the pins begin to climb the little peaks between cuts if the key is cut too low.
Last edited by rai on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 am

One other thing, have you tried lifting the whole key blade upward before trying to rotate the plug,

tricky keys are not necessarily a bad thing if you know the trick, it can prevent someone who steals a key from being able to use it.
Next

Return to Uber-Noob