FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What's the next step up?

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:53 pm

What's the next step up?

I have been able to successfully been able to pick a master 3 and the brinks high (not max) security is a little to hard 4 my skill level. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion.

Thanks!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Re: What's the next step up?

hmm, well personally i would go for something schlage cylinder or something like a master 140 which contains maybe 1 security pin.

i'm not really sure what locks you have available to buy where you are but something along of the lines of not to easy but not to hard and with at least one security pin.

either that or you could just buy another master 3 with a different bitting and keep practising with that and getting your oppening time shorter and shorter and by that time you'll be so used to the feel of your picks and the pins of the lock you'll advance very quickly.

thats the best advice i could give you.

Lew
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:46 pm

I agree, if you can't find any a step up just buy a new biting.

I know it may seem funny but a good step up could be any 5 or six pin tumbler. Get the extra pins down and then move up to securities. That way you learn how to feel normal pins quite well. Then, once you know how to feel them and get them nice, move up to higher security locks with one or two securities in them. Then just go ever upward. :D
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:13 pm

thanks guys!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:19 pm

Try to SPP a Brinks 50 mm or one of the adjustable long shackle locks (also Brinks). You'll get a good feel for the pins.
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:26 am

I recomend buying a abus 55/40, it is a good second step. One or two secutiy pins, 4 pins.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 am

i actually say that before going for good locks with really good cut spools, buy some cheep china locks form like a hardware store that has securities. they are poorly cut so they arent as hard as normal spools, but are still a little harder than standard drivers.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:34 am

My stepping stones were good ol' Master Lock #140's. All security pins, but very loose tolerances. Like an exaggerated version of what to expect in the future. These are my comfort pile. Brinks are just a smidge tighter.

Return to Uber-Noob