FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What do I need to get started picking locks?

<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:46 pm

What do I need to get started picking locks?

I saw a few videos on lockpicking, and i really want to try it out.
Do i need a Huge set of picks to get started?
If not, what are the bare minimum essentials?
do i need to spend a lot of money?

(another one i grow tired of answering over and over...)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: What do I need to get started picking locks?

When I first started picking, I didn't even know about the youtube videos of lockpicking. My interest in picking locks started at an early age, years later I bought a small Southord set of picks, they worked great for a newbie, awhile after that I realized that those picks sucked really bad and I switched to HPC. The Southord picks may not be that bad, but if you pick alot you really need to go with a better made pick. NO you don't need a big set of picks, a an HPC set with a few tension wrenches, a hook, a snake and a diamond will do you just fine. Don't run out and buy a huge set of expensive picks when you first start out, you don't even know if you will like picking at this point and you really shouldn't blow alot of money until you become addicted. I been picking for a few years now, and I am just now thinking about buying a huge HPC set of picks, not because I need them, just because they come with lots of replacements. Don't let anybody try to tell you that a pick should last forever if you use if properly. I have talked with lots of locksmiths who do lots of picking, and they all agree, if you use a pick alot no matter what brand it will become weak and break eventually. So once you learn to pick, it may not always be a bad idea to buy a big set, just don't do it in the beginning. Thats just my opinion, I am sure everybody has different thoughts.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 pm

awol, new response should be a small set of Sparrow picks made just for the newbie! You know, with just a few picks. But you sell more picks having sets. I got 1 more set to buy of specialty picks but have gone buying individual picks as I don't hardly ever rake. Just a thought about a newbie pick set.
<<

bouncer965

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:42 am

When i started i ordered myself a 32 piece set of Goso picks. Not really ideal but i knew no different then.

I bought some padlocks and normal door locks to practise on. Then when i found tensioning certain difficult locks i used windscreen inserts to make different sized tension tools. Ideal set imho for a newbie to picking would be the KLOM set of picks, cheap enough to buy and certainly ideal for a beginner with a variety of hooks and picks with different thicknesses for the slimmer keyways.

No point imho buy petersons or HPC as a first set until you get used to using a pick and being sure your into the hobby. But best thing is to be patient and it will come together nicely.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

Warder

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:00 am

..Don't let anybody try to tell you that a pick should last forever if you use if properly..

I have a collection of broken pick handles in a small container. They are mostly HPC and mixed in with some custom picks i've ordered. Each broken pick contains a memory of what I was doing when it broke, like.. 'Freezing weather weakens steel', or 'Don't rush, your liable to snap it' or 'Use a common pick for a common job, not a designer pick..'
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 am

Warder wrote:
..Don't let anybody try to tell you that a pick should last forever if you use if properly..

I have a collection of broken pick handles in a small container. They are mostly HPC and mixed in with some custom picks i've ordered. Each broken pick contains a memory of what I was doing when it broke, like.. 'Freezing weather weakens steel', or 'Don't rush, your liable to snap it' or 'Use a common pick for a common job, not a designer pick..'

Thats a great idea!! I still have a vivid memory of breaking this one HPC hook I had, that pick was always my first choice, I still don't know what was so great about it, but I have never had another hook like it since. I picked so much with it that it finally broke off in a lock.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:30 am

Grandpa wrote:awol, new response should be a small set of Sparrow picks made just for the newbie! You know, with just a few picks. But you sell more picks having sets. I got 1 more set to buy of specialty picks but have gone buying individual picks as I don't hardly ever rake. Just a thought about a newbie pick set.

there is a sparrows set called the kickstart, intended ,well to get you started..
http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/category_s/50.htm
and i believe our sponsor lockpickshop.com sells individual picks..
thanks Kid, and warder, grandpa...
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

Return to Uber-Noob