FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Feather Touch Tension Tool

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Feather Touch Tension Tool

So I've been thinking about ordering one of these. What do you guys think? I dont know if they are more of a gimic or what. I dont wanna waste my money. I know someone out there has one. How good does it work? Thanks guys. :mrgreen:

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-To ... h-A-2.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Uncle Gut

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Feather Touch Tension Tool

i had one.. i didn't like it at all.. to flimsy
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Uncle Gut wrote:i had one.. i didn't like it at all.. to flimsy

I figured that. I dont see how you can get much feedback from it.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:25 pm

I had one for years, gave it to another retired locksmith as a gag gift. The working end is to big for most US locks and the feedback is poor. I would not recommend this as it won't work very well on counter clockwise tension.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:35 pm

jailersmith wrote:I had one for years, gave it to another retired locksmith as a gag gift. The working end is to big for most US locks and the feedback is poor. I would not recommend this as it won't work very well on counter clockwise tension.

Thanks jailersmith :mrgreen:
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Just like the other guys RIff, I have heard nothing good about these, a novelty item it seems.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:15 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Just like the other guys RIff, I have heard nothing good about these, a novelty item it seems.

Thanks kid. :mrgreen:
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:39 am

hello, i have one, the fact that it is probably the most useless tool i have is what lead to me making my own spring tension wrenches.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:08 am

I didnt want to be the 1st person to down this tool !

But ive still heard nothing good about it
<<

knacnud

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:12 am

Yep, useless! I got one in a kit I bought. The end was too big to fit in to just about any keyway I had. So I made one with a much smaller head on it. It would work, but 0 feedback. They are easy to make if you have axcess to high carbon wire, but don't waste your time. I work for a place that makes steel cable and can get just about any size, and grade of wire, so I have tried to make a lot of tools out of wire. I still fall back on to wiper blade inserts or band saw blade for most of the tools I make.
Keith
<<

dgtlcrack

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:42 am

Like Knacnud said, the way it's shipped to you, it won't fit in most locks you want to pick. You need to alter the head, which can snap on you because the wire is thin and flimsy.

I had one of these in one of my many lost or stolen picksets, to be honest it has not been missed one bit. I originally bought it many years back to pick medeco's with, but I quickly realized my regular tension wrench with a sensitive finger does a much better job.

If you want great tension wrenches check out Falle-Safe's tension set, they are sold for around $75 online.
*- Digital Crack -*
"You want my knowledge, my answers, well you're going to get it the way I give it to you: with a grain of salt, logic, and nearly sarcastic common sense.... unless you are willing to pay, then I'll shut the hell up and you can be the boss"
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 am

Why you may want a feather tension wrench

I found the following reference about using a feather tension wrench.

You can see why (at least in theory) some people may find a feather of use.

Ripped from Steve Hampton ......

MUSHROOM AND SPOOL PIN TUMBLER LOCKS
High-security pin tumbler locks may contain specially made pins to make picking them more challenging. The pins are machined so as to make picking them quite dif- ficult. When picking these locks, the pins give the impres- sion that they have broken, when in fact they could be a long way from breaking. You can tell whether or not you are picking a pin tumbler lock that has these pins by the fact that the pins seem to align so easily with a louder than normal click. The cylinder seems eager to open but to no avail.

The picking procedure relies on a well-yielding tension wrench. The tension wrench has to be lightly spring-loaded so that the pins can bypass their false breaking points. You also have to "rake" (seesaw in and out) the pins with your pick. The feather-touch tension wrench is ideal for the job. Use light pressure with it, and it will let you in.

(Note: A feather-touch tension wrench is not necessarily required. A normal tension wrench will work fine with an extremely light tension on it. The weight of just your index finger alone should be enough in most cases.)

The mushroom and spool pins are used in locks for high-security purposes such as bank doors. The American Lock Company uses them in some of their padlocks.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 am

I pick americans quite often so I know how to deal with security pins. Do you have any experience yourself with the feather touch tool??? I'm curious because you seem to be the only person saying anything good about this tool. I"m not sure who Steve Hampton is. I dont know if he is a spokesperson or something. I dont hold much stock into those types of peoples opinions. I'd rather have people that I know actually using the tool (no matter what tool in question) to give their opinion. That's where the rubber meets the road. At any rate thank you for your input. :D I just dont see how a spring loaded TW can give much feedback. Everytime you picked up on a pin, instead of having feedback transfered through the regular wrench and into your fingers it would be obsorbed into the spring loaded wrench. I hope that made sense. That's what prompted me to make the post to begin with. I'm just really curious about these things. I read what you posted........It just seems like kind of a cheating way to set security pins for people who arent very skilled (if it actually works). I believe that these skills need to be developed anyway with a regular TW if you are going to be a picker....Thanks again for the input abroxis. :mrgreen:
<<

bouncer965

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Riff wrote:I pick americans quite often so I know how to deal with security pins. Do you have any experience yourself with the feather touch tool??? I'm curious because you seem to be the only person saying anything good about this tool. I"m not sure who Steve Hampton is. I dont know if he is a spokesperson or something. I dont hold much stock into those types of peoples opinions. I'd rather have people that I know actually using the tool (no matter what tool in question) to give their opinion. That's where the rubber meets the road. At any rate thank you for your input. :D I just dont see how a spring loaded TW can give much feedback. Everytime you picked up on a pin, instead of having feedback transfered through the regular wrench and into your fingers it would be obsorbed into the spring loaded wrench. I hope that made sense. That's what prompted me to make the post to begin with. I'm just really curious about these things. I read what you posted........It just seems like kind of a cheating way to set security pins for people who arent very skilled (if it actually works). I believe that these skills need to be developed anyway with a regular TW if you are going to be a picker....Thanks again for the input abroxis. :mrgreen:

Steve Hampton is an author of a few books. High security locks and picking them. I believe you got the download of it Riff on pdf!!!!!
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 pm

eeze wrote:hello, i have one, the fact that it is probably the most useless tool i have is what lead to me making my own spring tension wrenches.

same...i have one...never used it...ever.
oh wait..i threw it at someone once...i guess that counts as use....
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

Next

Return to Uber-Noob