FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

TOK techniques

<<

Warder

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 am

TOK techniques

I was experimenting with different TOK methods. You know, to avoid the 'flying wrench' or 'mid-way slipout' and still feel the action on your pick.
This is what I discovered, and makes a great difference to me.
I use the thickest piece of steel that fits comfortably inside the keyway and bend it into shape. My largest Peterson IC core tension wrench is thick, and I bent the rear end of it to fit inside the TOK perfectly.

I made sure that the newly-bent steel fit just the right depth inside, to avoid the first pin, and also clear the lock body opening.
This new TOK wrench works like a charm.
The number one barrier, for me, with TOK tension was the tool's THICKNESS.

I knew instantly that the lock would be pickable when I felt the tension wrench securely in place, not slipping, but reacting exactly as I wanted.

Does anyone have a TOK technique that works best?
Last edited by Warder on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 am

Re: TOK techniques

I still use a modified Allen wrench, thinned down to the appropriate thickness. I find the more rigid the turning tool, the better feedback I get from the pin stacks.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 am

hello every one , i wrap ptfe plumbers tape around the tip of the wrench and then push it in to the key way the ptfe is soft and wedges perfectly into the key way
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:05 am

I use tok on every lock unless it's specifically better otherwise. The biggest problem I see people have is when they put the wrench to the right instead of the left. If you put it to the left it cant slip. It doesn't ever slip regardless of thickness.

Cow
MCSE: Security | CompTIA: Security
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:29 pm

cowbite wrote:I use tok on every lock unless it's specifically better otherwise. The biggest problem I see people have is when they put the wrench to the right instead of the left. If you put it to the left it cant slip. It doesn't ever slip regardless of thickness.

Cow

I call :bs:

Umm, first off where you put it is personal preference and comfort, and most importantly what works for that individual... what works well for you may not for others.

Also, they sure as hell can slip on the left, I had that happen a bunch of times last night alone!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Oh and more on topic here, if you make a new TW out of semi-wide wiper insert, after you put the bend in twist the bent part that goes in the lock a bit, it effectively wides the girth of the metal. Try it, but like everything in this hobby (nad life for that matter) YMMV.

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

bouncer965

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:53 am

Being a lefthanded picker i use tok more than most if my lock isnt in the vice. I have various thickness and legnth tw's to fit different keyways and try to get a nice tight fit for the lock (pretty much like a woman). I also found that if the curve in the bend on your tw is too close to the lock it can also cause it to slip out......happened many a time for me. I'd say its down to the indidvifual and what feels comfortable for one may not be feeling right for someone else.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

pjzstones

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:35 pm

magician59 wrote:I still use a modified Allen wrench, thinned down to the appropriate thickness. I find the more rigid the turning tool, the better feedback I get from the pin stacks.

i'm going to have to try that. i use a allen wrench to tension tubular locks. never thought to use one for TOK though.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 pm

I used to never use TOKE tension, for the last few months I have been using it more and more, I really like the extra room that it allows, I seem to be getting better at using it. I also use wiper blades, and I bend mine to where they don't contact the pins and they work great. I usually make a new tension wrench for every different lock I pick, seems I can never quite get one that fits good so I make one that does usually.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:54 pm

My style of TOK is a thin tensor not a thick one, I find that if its thin it digs into the walls of the keyway better...
My favorite TOK tensor is a bobby pin
Tok3.JPG

I used to use the thick ones that are so thick you have to wedge them in the keyway and if you turn the lock upside down they wont fall out... but it got too anoying...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:15 pm

cowbite wrote:I use tok on every lock unless it's specifically better otherwise. The biggest problem I see people have is when they put the wrench to the right instead of the left. If you put it to the left it cant slip. It doesn't ever slip regardless of thickness.

Cow

Ok Cow, giving the benefit of doubt, I decided to give putting the TW on the left while handholding a padlock... didn't go well at all, TW kept falling like crazy. Again I guess it just falls back to whatever works for the individual. Although, I do have to say then when static picking, having the TW on the left has worked much better for me personally.

-Elbow :akimbo:

Return to Uber-Noob