FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lock picks & lthe law?

<<

rosindubh37713

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:06 am

Lock picks & lthe law?

Does anyone know the laws for carrying lock picks?

I know over in the US it is illegal in some states, but whats the law over here in the UK?
Is it illegal to to have lock picks on your person if you are not a registerd or certified locksmith?
Check out my Picking Videos @ http://uk.youtube.com/RosinDubh37713
<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Lock picks & lthe law?

I believe in most cases it comes down to intent, and proof of intent.

Really you're carrying a few pieces of steel, they could be toothpicks for all intents and purposes.

Have a good reason to carry them, or don't carry them.
<<

rosindubh37713

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:35 am

I always tend to carry a small set of picks with me all the time.
You never know when you might need them.

Once I was over visiting my mum, and her next door neighbour knocked on the door because she had locked herself out of the house!!
I had my picks with me and I was able to get her into the house (Great feeling) so If I hadnt had my picks with me she would have either had to wait all day until someone else came home or call out a locksmith!!
So I always find it handy to have my picks with me. You never know when you might need them ;)
Check out my Picking Videos @ http://uk.youtube.com/RosinDubh37713
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:14 am

I carry a spare set in my glove box under lock and key , with a few locks as well :D ive no itent to steel but given the job i do ! in my spare time i pick locks in my car, i get sick of reading the daily comics,

As long as your not wearing a black hat black coat and a swag bag and a few screw drivers at 02.00 hrs in the morning, i think you should be ok ,

I mean ive made thousands of lockpicking related posts, in lots of forums for over 2years, and also have a hobby site of my own, i think this should be a good enough reason for me personally, but you never know !

I had a job myself the other day, at a youth center were they was locked out ! the manager rang me as were close friends, and job done :lol:
i didnt charge him - it was just the buzz of it :lol:
im not a locksmith and have no intensions too but i do have a hobby that comes in very handy some times.

thats just my 2pence and i dont advise anyone to carry picks,

(Admin) (LOL)
<<

locfoc

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:31 am

Thing is according to the law there is no legal reason to be carrying picks. They don't like websites like these so the bottom line is if they want to make an example of you, they will.
<<

uklockpicker

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 am

Very true,

Thats just me,

like i say i dont advice anyone to carry them, but i had 2 jobs this week and i aint even a lockie, i may start bloody charging :lol:
<<

m0ose

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Well, I don't know specifically, but I do know it can even vary per person. I mean if you take your rights to be a hobby picker to court, there is no way they can really tell you no with a good clean record. I mean, I can see how they could really prosecute Bob the kleptomaniac, but Sir Joe the Hobbiest, idk.
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Actually they dont give a flying fuck. Apparently I'm a criminal to the state of Massachusetts. I had my pick set LOCKED!! in my glovebox, but the cops seen them and charged me with "burgulars tools". Bottom line is if the cops really want to charge you they will find a way, even if they have to lie and say the pickset was in "plain view."
m0ose wrote:Well, I don't know specifically, but I do know it can even vary per person. I mean if you take your rights to be a hobby picker to court, there is no way they can really tell you no with a good clean record. I mean, I can see how they could really prosecute Bob the kleptomaniac, but Sir Joe the Hobbiest, idk.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:41 pm

some states do have laws regarding carrying lockpicks, off the top of my head, California is a bad one, if you are a locksmith from oregon or anywhere else, they don't care if you have them tools in your possesion, you are in trouble, they want you to be registered through cali and a whole other pile of crap, just be careful when traveling and know the laws. thats shitty that you were charged with that. What is the WHOLE story of the incident, it doesn't seem right they got you for that, as long as you were not in possesion of stolen property you should have been fine.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 pm

well actualy, my brother's girlfriend got pulled over, she didnt know her license was expired, so the cops pulled everyone out and searched the car, they unlocked the glovebox and to my brothers surprise were my picks that i locked in the glovebox for safekeeping. He tried to explain to the officer that they were mine and i pick locks, but the cop was an asshole and charged everyone in the car with "burgurlars tools". Now i have to go to court and explain my story and hope they drop the charges. What pissed me off the most though is that the cops lied in the police report and said that they were in plain view in the center console. My car doesnt even have a center console!!!!! I'm going to take pics of the inside of the car when i go to court.
the lockpickkid wrote:some states do have laws regarding carrying lockpicks, off the top of my head, California is a bad one, if you are a locksmith from oregon or anywhere else, they don't care if you have them tools in your possesion, you are in trouble, they want you to be registered through cali and a whole other pile of crap, just be careful when traveling and know the laws. thats shitty that you were charged with that. What is the WHOLE story of the incident, it doesn't seem right they got you for that, as long as you were not in possesion of stolen property you should have been fine.
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:10 pm

wow where should i look to find the laws
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:20 pm

you should try to do a search on google for the laws in the state or region you live in.
aarpazthelockpicker wrote:wow where should i look to find the laws
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 am

i have a driving job where im waiting around waiting to do deliveries, i spend alot of time hanging about so ive alway always got lockpicks on me and atleast 2 or 3 locks, because this is how i pass my time away at work : )

i have a clean record with the police so....

but i no if you get caught on the street with picks you r more than likely going to be charged with going equipped unless you have a lock to pick on u, so u can explain your self, and the area u are stopped and searchd on will play a big role to : )

i wudnt advice anybody to carry them around with them tho :lol: :lol:
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:14 am

wow! I think the cops overreacted that is just plain stupid, I know they have a job to do, but its not like they caught you using them in somebodys lock without permission, If I was you and had the money, I would contest this in court.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

locfoc

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 pm

read my next posts
Last edited by locfoc on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Next

Return to Uber-Noob