FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need help dialing a combination safe

<<

kennyb93

Post Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 am

Need help dialing a combination safe

Hello everyone!

I apologize in advanced if this is the incorrect sub-thread for this post, as it seemed to me to be the most appropriate area to post this in.

I will start by saying I have zero knowledge about picking locks of this type, so my understanding about the inner workings of locks is fairly limited.

My uncle passed away about a month ago now (god rest his soul), and we are dealing with the legal division of his estate. To streamline this process, he left his wishes on a document inside his safe. It's a Gardall combination safe with a Sargent & Greenleaf Dial mounted on it. His lawyer gave us the instructions he left to open it in a situation similar to this -- however it is in a format none of us seem to understand. The combination is hand written on a piece of paper in the following format:
00|AA|BB|CC|DD|[Check Mark]

Underneath each line (going from left to right) is the following:
4x Left, 3x Right, 2x Left, 1x pass it to 0, [Final line is blank]

Does anyone have any suggestion for dialing this? We are assuming the zero in the beginning means the safe must start at zero. Then, looking at the mechanical combination lock instructions or Gardall's website, it would be left (counter-clockwise) stopping on AA when it comes to the mark the 4th time. Turning right (clockwise) until BB comes to the mark the third time. Turning left (counter-clockwise) until CC comes to the mark the second time. Then step four simply says to turn right (clockwise) past zero until the dial comes to a complete stop. So where does the DD part of the combination come into play?

Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks you for taking the time to read this (long?) post!
--Kenny
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Re: Need help dialing a combination safe

This video will help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXomQxbZbY

It appears that his instructions would have you start on 0 and start dialing from there but it is not needed. The DD number would be something in the 80-90s? That is where the dial will stop when it is open. He was probably just trying to make it easier for others who are unfamiliar with safe locks.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

kennyb93

Post Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Re: Need help dialing a combination safe

Riyame wrote:This video will help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXomQxbZbY

It appears that his instructions would have you start on 0 and start dialing from there but it is not needed. The DD number would be something in the 80-90s? That is where the dial will stop when it is open. He was probably just trying to make it easier for others who are unfamiliar with safe locks.

Ah, thank you so much -- will try dialing it again tomorrow. That's correct, the DD number he left is "95". Thank you so much for your help :) hopefully that solves it!

Return to Uber-Noob