FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Advice for Beginner

<<

Salade

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Advice for Beginner

I've been picking locks for only a week or so using bobby pins for a pick and the metal clip of a pen for a tension wrench. So far, I've managed to open a masterlock and an old rusted lock (probably from the 1950s) about 8 times each. However, each lock takes about 15 minutes to open everytime, which is fine except that I don't think my attempts at lifting each pin have anything to do with skill and everything to do with luck.

Any advice regarding tools, locks to start with, or what to try would be appreciated!
<<

kizza8484

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Advice for Beginner

I guess your at the point where you have to decide between making your own tools or buying some. Sounds like your doing well with your bobby pin, that'll only take you so far :lol:

If you're willing to spend some money you could always just buy a pickset. But check the restrictions on lock picks where you live first of course. Google around for it or just give your local police a call. I know the latter is emarrassing as they may think the wrong thing about you but its part of their job to provide that kind of info and chances are you'll be forgotten by the time they hang the phone up. Cops have bigger fish to fry!

Checkout http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk/oscommerce/catalog/ and have a look at the basic Klom set.

But if you want to keep it cheap, get yourself out there to find some old butter knives and wiper blade inserts. You'll also need to files for this, a round one and a triangular one ideally. Checkout the Homebrew thread here for more on making picks and tension wrenchs.

An invaluable resource for cheap locks is junkayrds. You can pickup handfuls for just a few bucks. Plus eBay is always there!
<<

barbarian

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:27 pm

Good advice by kizza8484.

If money is a real problem, then you can save a bit by making your own stuff. I don't have much luck making picks myself. You could buy a beginners set from somewhere like Southern ordinance too. Depends on where you live. That will work fine for quite a while, then you can polish them a bit and make some nice handles for them. Avoid the sets with a large number of picks in them. You will probably need two or three starting out, and will never use most of the picks in those big sets.

I like a cheap deadbolt lock to practice with, rather than a padlock. The advantage is you can start with only two or three pins and then add more as you learn. Plus you can move the pins around and it's like a whole new lock. Sometimes it's nice to take the lock apart and put it back together too. Helps you learn.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Time & Resources are a big factor , as is a working area , i'm
short on all three but i refuse to let it stop my hobby .
The biggest problems i have are that i don't have a
lockpicking buddy i can physically visit to help teach me,
and home made picks need "sizing to fit keyways" so
please take full advantage of the tutorial videos they're
priceless in terms of information and any question you
can think of will be answered by the guys here !
I'm rubbish at this but i love it
(Keep it legal)
Open Sez Me !
<<

GutterClown

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:05 pm

Don't buy Masterlocks to learn on.

They're crap. They open by breathing on them. No achievement picking a Master.
<<

johnopsec

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 pm

There is at least one Master that is worth buying... The #911. I've had three and they were all a blast to pick. They are full of spools, give absolutely huge feedback, etc.

Just don't forget to spin the plug back to the locked position before you close the shackle. Otherwise, it will spin around on its own 180deg and you've got a nice yellow paperweight.

I'm a fairly accomplished picker and I still pick my #911's for the fun of it. I even made it a point to buy another one over Christmas when I was out of town so I could show a friend what spools look like/feel like when you're picking.

Other than that, you're right. Every other Master I've got is absolute crap. Maybe the #140 is a worthwhile lock as a "my first security pin" lock but, everything else... not so much.
JohnOPSEC
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 am

You have started off with the smartest choice bud, asking first, i went out and bought BIG packs of picks, most of them have never seen the inside of a lock.

Although i tried some high security locks i soon went back to the cheapies until i got a feel for the pins and tension, then started on the securities.

I found it hard to translate what i was seeing in vids and reading on forums and putting that into practice, so if you have some one around that you can pick with and ask questions while your picking, i think that makes a world of difference as well.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:27 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:S1deshowmick you are SOOO right about that. I have a small Southord set, and even out of those - I only use like 4 of them faithfully. I think that when I build a more quality set, I may just do it 1 pick at a time. It was good to get that small set to use different kinds, helped me figure out what I liked most, but at the same time - I am really glad I didnt get like a 30 peice set etc.

After a lot of trial and error - it really just comes down to basics. I used to try every tool in the kit and numerous tension wrenches.

After picking for a couple of years, I've narrowed it down to a short hook, a bogota and a hybrid half-diamond - and two tension wrenches for 99% of my tasks.

That's it.
<<

Salade

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks so much for your advice! I've gotten new locks to work at (much more fun) and will be careful in picking out tools. :)
<<

game

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:54 am

well for now avoid security pins look at websites for cheap picks like
www.southord.com
www.uklockpickers.co.uk
www.dealextreme.com (crazy cheap but long wait for shipping.)
www.lockpicktools.com
also don't worry about it taking so long to pick those locks it took me like 25 minutes to get a very cheap master lock with paper clips
with tools same lock 2 seconds no joke however practise makes perfect
good luck and god speed

game
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 pm

also a good site for picks that i have never seen mentioned, or maybe it was just ignored, but it is a good site to buy individual picks and there prices are compateable. http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com
game wrote:well for now avoid security pins look at websites for cheap picks like
http://www.southord.com
http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk
http://www.dealextreme.com (crazy cheap but long wait for shipping.)
http://www.lockpicktools.com
also don't worry about it taking so long to pick those locks it took me like 25 minutes to get a very cheap master lock with paper clips
with tools same lock 2 seconds no joke however practise makes perfect
good luck and god speed

game

Return to Uber-Noob