FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Dimple locks

<<

Killaken123

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:38 am

Dimple locks

Ok so I'm née and I've been picking pin tumbler locks and I'm ok at it but I'd also like to try dimple locks. Here's is my question do I need to buy a special dimple lock pick set or can I use my regular picks? I'm sure eventually I'll end up buying a set but in the meantime can I get by with my half diamond? I found a nice mul-t-lock padlock on eBay and I want to get it but I don't want to waste my money on a lock that I can't pick. (equipment wise) Also what would be a good set to pick up? Would a Chinese set work with some finish work? I seen a Southard set for $50 and I seen a Chinese knock off set for $22. Does it really make a difference? Any help would be great thanx guys.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Dimple locks

Killaken123 wrote:Ok so I'm née and I've been picking pin tumbler locks and I'm ok at it but I'd also like to try dimple locks. Here's is my question do I need to buy a special dimple lock pick set or can I use my regular picks? I'm sure eventually I'll end up buying a set but in the meantime can I get by with my half diamond? I found a nice mul-t-lock padlock on eBay and I want to get it but I don't want to waste my money on a lock that I can't pick. (equipment wise) Also what would be a good set to pick up? Would a Chinese set work with some finish work? I seen a Southard set for $50 and I seen a Chinese knock off set for $22. Does it really make a difference? Any help would be great thanx guys.

Half diamond will work.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:08 pm

I actually took a half round and put a 90 degree bend into it (the flag) and it works alright for some of the cheaper dimple locks, It probably wouldn't work on a multi-lock. But you could try fashioning some from wiper blades would be a cheap and easy way to make some if the half-diamond fails you.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:53 am

There really isnt a good solid dimple lock pick set out there aside from Souber most likely but even with that set I heard its not all that its typed up to be plus its around $70-80 which is a bit too high for my blood. I make my own dimple picks using wind shield wiper inserts. They are the perfect size (the medium or large ones) only problem is a handle but that can be solved in many ways (e.g. make a brass handle, use an excto knife handle, using shrink tubing etc etc).

You can easily use a half diamond AS LONG as the keyway allows it. I also thought I would use my half diamond on dimple until I got my first dimple lock which was an abus with a tiny tiny keyway. The dimple pick is also more than just for dimple, it can be used for finger pins, sliders, etc etc so making it yourself gives you ability to make many different shapes and sizes.

Here are some pics to serve as examples.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:54 am

Sorry mixed up the pics, here is the finished brass handle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Killaken123

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Cool thanks everybody I'm gonna start making my own picks I just ordered and got everything I needed so I'll be posting pics soon.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:50 am

Killaken123 wrote:Cool thanks everybody I'm gonna start making my own picks I just ordered and got everything I needed so I'll be posting pics soon.

Pick pics! Do we get to pick which pick pick you should pick with? :mrgreen:

Look forward to seeing what you make.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Uber-Noob