FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Difference between Southord MPXS and PXS

<<

Svenito

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:13 am

Difference between Southord MPXS and PXS

So after a long time without a set of picks I'm getting the itch and want to get a new set. I've looking at the Southord MPXS-08 set to start with, but was wondering what the difference is between the MPXS and PXS sets.
I notice the grips are different, but is there anything else apart from that (width, etc)?

Also, is the MPXS-08 a good choice to start of with? I'm in the UK, so will be attempting european locks.

Cheers
<<

Deadlock

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:55 am

Re: Difference between Southord MPXS and PXS

Yeah, I wish SouthOrd put better pictures on their site. These low-res monochrome images just aren't good enough.

The PXS sets are stamped out of sheet steel. The sets have foam rubber grips that you have to fit yourself. The MPXS sets are the same picks, sandwiched between two spot welded stainless steel plates that act as a handle.

As you're in England, I wouldn't recommend either one. The C801 set would be more suitable.
<<

Svenito

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Many thanks for the reply. I assume that the C801 set is just thinner than the alternatives, hence them being more suitable?
<<

Deadlock

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:33 pm

Basically, yes. If you look closely at the images of the PXS/MPXS picks on the SouthOrd site, you'll see that the shanks of the picks are wider (deeper) than the Slimline ones. That is the difference.

Don't worry about the Slimline picks being weaker because of this. They're most certainly strong enough.

Return to Uber-Noob