FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unusual KIK cylinder

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Unusual KIK cylinder

I decided to re-key a cylinder I had kicking around and when I went to remove the plug I ran into something I haven't seen before.

As you can see it takes a standard KW1 key but the tailstock is extended and tapered causing me to leave the shim in while inserting the follower. Curious if anyone can identify this cylinder.

PS: This cylinder was master keyed much to my surprise as it came from a secondary entry door in my old house.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Unusual KIK cylinder

What you have there is an old Dexter. Once you have a key it can be disassembled without all the work! Just pull on the tailpiece and turn the key 180. Those used to be really popular around these parts, back in the 60's-80's. You also have a broken return spring. It won't return to neutral after turning the knob.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:26 am

That is from the long-ago, just look at all the brass on that cylinder!
No modern manufacturer would be caught wasting the chance to make that outta pot metal now
too bad about this lock's broken return spring, else it would prolly last another 30-40 years
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:39 am

Thanks guys. 30+ views and no replies! I was starting to think it was as common as hell and everyone thought I was nuts for asking.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock