FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Segal Padlock

<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Segal Padlock

I found this at a flea market today and bought it. It didn't come with a key. I don't know anything about these things and I can't find much about them online either.

The body appears to be some sort of copper alloy, not brass like others I've seen. It could just be copper colored because it kind of has a pewter look to it. The cylinder has "EDGE' stamped into it, although it looks like each letter was stamped individually as the spacing is inconsistent between each letter.

Can anyone tell me anything about this thing? It's a cool looking lock!

Thanks,

-Mike

(I apologize for the orientation of the picture...I couldn't get photobucket to rotate it for me)

I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Segal Padlock

E D G E would be the blind code for the key bitting. Looks like 3022 would be the actual cuts, tip to bow.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Thats a neat padlock. Ive never seen one like it. Old padlocks often have weird characteristics that can make them extremely valuable or just cool. Yours is really neat. Im really digging how the cylinder is on the face of the padlock body.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:E D G E would be the blind code for the key bitting. Looks like 3022 would be the actual cuts, tip to bow.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate you tracking that down for me. I'm going to try to pick it but my picks are packed away for vacation...do you know what type of blank this would take? I'd like to get a key made or try to impression one.

mister sour wrote:Thats a neat padlock. Ive never seen one like it. Old padlocks often have weird characteristics that can make them extremely valuable or just cool. Yours is really neat. Im really digging how the cylinder is on the face of the padlock body.

The cool factor is what drew me to it. I'd never seen one of these before. There are flea markets near where I live over the three summer holidays, so I went scrounging today. There were a few places that had some really cool railroad locks and others, but they were pretty proud of them based on what they were asking. I went looking for locks in their 'dollar bins' and overall scored two off brand newer combination padlocks, two older master #3's without keys, a master 300 with no key, a master #15 with a key, a Slaymaker padlock that has N&W stamped on the side without a key, and this Segal without a key for a grand total of $33. I gave $20 for the Segal and Slaymaker together at the same booth where the owner had several padlocks that were priced much lower than any of the others I had seen but it was really the fact that it was something new to me that sealed the deal. I don't know if it's valuable or not, but the cool factor made it worth the price.

-Mike
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Looks like an SE1 which any hardware store should have. AR1 will also work.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:29 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Looks like an SE1 which any hardware store should have. AR1 will also work.

Good to know...thanks for all of the information!

-Mike
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:41 am

That case looks like a bronze casting to me, Segal used to make their lock cases from bronze as well, I think.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:48 am

jones wrote:That case looks like a bronze casting to me, Segal used to make their lock cases from bronze as well, I think.

I think you're right Jones. I found an old Segal catalog online from 1929 with a lock that looks identical to this one with the same dimensions. It's a Segal No.600 and was cast in bronze. I don't know when this one was manufactured but it's in great condition.

-Mike
<<

escher7

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Rotated the picture for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:44 pm

escher7 wrote:Rotated the picture for you.

But now the picture is too small. :(

:P

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm interested to know how easily rekeyed this lock is, I wonder if Segal sold it with the intention that it be keyed to the same key that worked on the front door lock of the house? I always kinda thought that "one key" convience thing was a later invention, but I suppose it is possible that it began much earlier than with the Almont Rekeyable padlocks?
<<

escher7

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:11 am

GWiens2001 wrote:
escher7 wrote:Rotated the picture for you.

But now the picture is too small. :(

:P

Gordon

Just tap the picture to get the big picture, (at least on my tablet it enlarges it)). On a computer probably double click or save it by right clicking and then enlarge it as much as you want. Just responding to his apology for posting it sideways.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:23 am

I know that, escher. Just had to tease. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:28 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:I know that, escher. Just had to tease. :)

Gordon

I would expect no less Gordon! :) :) :)

Thanks for making it a bit more user friendly.

-Mike
<<

escher7

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:I know that, escher. Just had to tease. :)

Gordon

No teasing until I have taken my late night morphine and Percoset. Arthritis - the joy of aging. (65 on last Monday)
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock