FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Schlage "G" series.

<<

Altashot

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Schlage "G" series.

Here is one rare lockset (at least in my area).
I've only seen 2 of those in my career.
One was years ago, I took it off to convert the door to use a standard knob and deadbolt. It had been repaired a few times and the client wanted to upgrade to new locks,
and one just last week. This one I got to keep. I got it for $20.00.

I found everything about it in an old Schlage Service Manual. I got the description, exploded views, lubrication chart, even instalation instructions. It was already discontinued in 1981, the year the manual was published.
Apparently, it was a very expensive lock in the 70's and of a very high quality.
I must say that I have to agree with the quality, The gentleman from whom I purchased it was using it since 1975. It's nearly as old as I am and it still works perfectly. (I wish I could say the same about myself). Too bad Schlage discontinued it.
I guess the cost of metals and labour became prohibitive.

-It's latch and latchbolt are interconnected, meaning, turning the inside knob retracts both, the latch and bolt for easy egress.
This one is in a very nice, one popular, bronze hammer tone finish.
It shows a bit of weathering but as with all bronze, it helped in developing a beautiful patina.
No plastic here, all metal construction and it's weight is pretty significant at about 15 lbs.
The deadbolt is thrown by the means of a thumb turn from the inside and the key from the outside.
In addition, the knob can also be locked with a small button in the inside knob.
The cool thing about the locking knob is, when locked, the outside knob spins free, 'round and 'round.
I guess it prevents breakage of the locking mechanism and is effectively vandalism resistant.

I took it apart to service it and took a bunch of pictures.
Friends, here is a vintage Schlage "G" series lock set, "undressed"...

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Altas ... G%20series

M.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Schlage "G" series.

Very cool lockset. Too bad they discontinued them.

I must say that I am a weeeee bit more interested in that 2nd shelf though :lol:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Speaking of old Schlages...I got this deadbolt in a lot of stuff last week.
I suspect it to be the same vintage.

femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

rzr800

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 pm

I seems like vintage schlage was built just like vintage cars. They last forever and were built right. These modern days now new locks often break all the time requiring replacements parts always to do repairs. Its kinda of like the new car saying, they are throw away cars drive them to 200k and then scrap them. I seen vintage schlage at its best at this very old church which is now been converted into a dormitory for religious students and every door in the building has and still has these very old vintage schlage lockset and they isn't no problems with any of them. I only went there to unlock a broiler room door that was locked that's it. Maybe God has been looking after these locksets and made them immortal lol.
<<

Altashot

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Lol, Riyame!
I figured you'd like that 2nd shelf, lol!

I looked in that old Schlage book to find the deadbolt you showed, Jeff.
It's not even in the book. That deadbolt predates the "B" series, it's from the 50's.
If I am not mistaken, it only has a 1/2" bolt.
I've seen them before and I though it was weird how it screws from both side, but
thinking on it later, I realized that it's the only way to truly prevent removal from either side.

I agree with the fact that almost everything was better built in earlier days.
Sadly, We, and generations passed, are responsible for the way they are now.
The manufacturers listened to us and adapted their products to please us.
It's that mentality: I want it cheap, I want it now, I want it to work relatively well, I want it to last
a serviceable life and when it breaks, oh well...I'll buy another one, no big deal, they're cheap enough.

That's the crap we work, live and play with today.
It sure is a treat to encounter something of outstanding quality once in a while, but damn...
...Mo$t people don't have pocket$ that deep.

M.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Ain't THAT the truth! And it's a sad thing indeed. *shakes his head in disgust*

Not even talking about locks here, just stuff in general....

It use to be that I could invest a decent amount of money as well as a decent amount of my time
to install it properly... then NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! :slam:

But now everything is built 'disposable' from the start. I'm stuck purchasing it (or parts for it) again,
and again, and again. But what bothers me FAR MORE than the repeated money investments
is having to take MY TIME to do, yet again, something I already did! Oh... it makes me boil!

Anyway, yeah... it's truly a treat to come across some of the things that were built right.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks to Pete Schiffe on Antique-Locks forum, I have learned that my lock is a Schlage B262P.
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Ya those old Schlages are built good Jeff, have mac post a pictiure of the one I sent him - just a knob lock tho - :smile:
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:04 am

I have two Schlage wafer knobsets in a box next to me...in about 100 pieces :)
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Oldfast wrote:Ain't THAT the truth! And it's a sad thing indeed. *shakes his head in disgust*

Not even talking about locks here, just stuff in general....

It use to be that I could invest a decent amount of money as well as a decent amount of my time
to install it properly... then NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! :slam:

But now everything is built 'disposable' from the start. I'm stuck purchasing it (or parts for it) again,
and again, and again. But what bothers me FAR MORE than the repeated money investments
is having to take MY TIME to do, yet again, something I already did! Oh... it makes me boil!

Anyway, yeah... it's truly a treat to come across some of the things that were built right.

Too true. It's deliberate.

Most locks I see on new houses here are the cheapest, crappiest locks that you can buy. Even the more expensive ones are not much better. Built stronger but with weak pin tumbler cylinders.

I guess, people just don't know any better. A lock is a lock.

Here's a little vid on issue. Not about locks but about the decline in quality of everything.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vfbbF3oxf-E
[/url]
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Monroe

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 am

Thanks for posting this! I recently bought a new house (new to me, of course, but built in 1975), and the lockset on the front door was like nothing I'd ever seen. Searching around on the internet, this is the only place I found with any information about it.

Some pictures of mine are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153473231942771.1073741830.665502770&type=1&l=c837bc41ff
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for sharing additional pictures of this lock. Sad to see a solid product go the way of the Do-Do Bird.
Just FYI, we also allow members to upload their photos directly to the forum thread. It helps reduce traffic to your photo hosting site, in case you have bandwidth limitations, and avoids broken photo links down the road on the forum as people abandon where they've archived their pictures online.
<<

Monroe

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks! I somehow missed the photo upload option when writing this post, and I figured Facebook could handle the traffic. ;)

I'll upload them directly as well, for posterity:

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Monroe

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Incedentally, I re-keyed this lock using "Prime-Line Products E 2402 Schlage Type C Re-Keying Kit, 5 Pin", readily available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RIDQD0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

so it's compatible with modern pins and uses a regular Schlage "C" keyway.

The cylinder is set up for 6 pins, but mine only had 5 installed.
<<

Monroe

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Further follow-up: I wanted something a bit more secure, and after some research I found that I could replace the lock cylinder in my G series lockset with a modern Abloy Protec2 cylinder. I got the CY410 "Retrofit KIK Cylinder" from a site called SecuritySnobs, and it fit perfectly in the lockset.

The only complication was that I had to make a new tailpiece (the one that it came with _almost_ worked -- it had the right amount of free rotation, but the piece that engages the lockset was 90 degrees off, so it didn't fully function). I took a solid rivet with about the right dimensions (1/4" shaft and flat-ish head), and spent some quality time with a bench grinder and hand files getting it to the right shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock