FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My review of MrWizard's Super Max 7 Pin Practice Lock

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:34 am

My review of MrWizard's Super Max 7 Pin Practice Lock

MrWizard's Super Max 7 Pin Practice Lock

Have had these pictures taken for quite a while.  It is about time I wrote it up.

Got this practice lock for my son's birthday.  This is a great practice lock, and it is so fun having my son pick next to me.  My wife may not think so :roll: , but I sure do!

This is a mortise lock with a Schlage keyway 7 pin chambers, and comes with two SC4 (6 pin) cut keys, an Allen wrench, an assortment of screw caps, springs, key pins, master pins, standard driver pins, two sizes of spool pins, and even two sizes of serrated driver pins, pinning suggestions and the support of MrWizard himself for those with questions.  The only thing this package is missing is the picks themselves!

First, here is the lock itself.  No doubt, this is a quality practice lock.  Instead of the wide open Sargent L1 keyway (No offense intended, Jeff!), it has the Schlage C keyway that is more restrictive.  This makes it  more real-world for those learning to pick.  You learn to navigate warding, and even use it to your advantage while picking.

Here are most of the accessories that come with this practice lock.  My son lost a few spool pins in his carpeting, but when he is ready for them, I'll give him a few.  Unfortunately, that is not too far away.  Been slowing his learning as best I can due to his youth, but he is learning fast.

The keys and the Allen wrench.

Here are the top screw caps in row 1, two sizes of serrated pins, and two sizes of spool pins.  These will provide plenty of challenge for those learning the art of lock picking.  The longer spools and serrated pins are used with shorter key pins, and vice-versa.

Standard driver pins:

Holy Bats, Springman!

Want to try your hand with master pinning the locks?  No problem here!

And a full assortment of all 10 sizes of key pins.

These are the pins that match the key as it came.  The lock comes pinned in six chambers with standard driver pins.  It is up to you to make it easier or harder as you see fit.

Took two new pictures just now, while my son is sleeping.  Took him from five pins with a relatively flat bitting to four pins with a high-low bitting a couple of weeks ago, which he is already complaining is too easy and boring.

Let's see if tomorrow morning he still thinks it is boring.  I'm not going to mention that I picked open his Sentry lever-lock safe (he sleeps with the key) and repinned his lock, replaced the lock, and relocked his safe. 

Think he'll still find it easy tomorrow? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Yes, even my son is subject to being picked on by me!

No, the barrel (or trampoline) pins do not come with this kit.  Pulled those out of a TrioVing just to mess with his head, as if his first spool pin/serrated pin combo isn't enough to do that! :mrgreen: 

And no, he does not have his picks available to him.  Those are locked up with my picks.

Said this before, but it bears saying again.  This practice lock is a great tool for those who want to learn to pick, and advance their skills.  It will keep you challenged for quite a while! It is also made by our very own MrWizard!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 am

Re: My review of MrWizard's Super Max 7 Pin Practice Lock

Gordon,

That's a great review with excellent pictures and descriptions!

Does that "trampoline" pick resistant pin give you a double false set? You get the false set and then you push up on it past the center portion which is thicker and then bind again? In other words, how is it more effective beyond a regular spool in your opinion?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law of Prediction
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:11 am

Very nice pictures! I think you meant Sargent LA keyway though :P
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:21 am

@DR2 - yes, but the false sets are much less than normal pins. And to get past them, these like to drop previously set pins, so you bounce back and forth between set pins.

@jeff - yes. Type-o late at night. :oops:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 am

I see those Trioving spools there. Are those the ones I sent for Filipe? You are an evil man.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:49 am

xeo wrote:I see those Trioving spools there. Are those the ones I sent for Filipe? You are an evil man.

No, took them out of this lock that was about to be scrapped for brass when I rescued it...

But yes, evil is my middle name. :twisted:

Gordon
<<

keymaster1053

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:04 pm

So do tell! did your son find your sabotage yet? LOL and how old is he?
Jim.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Have not told him yet. He'll find out tonight once his homework is done. :mrgreen: He is 9

Gordon
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:39 pm

He is currently trying to figure out why the lock is not as easy as before. It can be so hard keeping a straight face. He has realized that 'the last pin feels funny, Daddy. Maybe I'm using too much force." :whip:

Gordon

And yes, I realize he's going to get even some day. :mrgreen:
<<

keymaster1053

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

LOL, yeah in about 7 years when he has his license and you suddenly can't start your own car!!! LOL
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Great review on a great product. Indeed. Thanks Gordon.

LMAO about you & your son. I think that's reallycool though.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:17 am

HI GW.

..........WEll ........

Did your son ever get the lock opened ??

Mean looking pins :twisted:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:35 am

Not with that pin setup. You should have seen his expression when I field stripped his practice lock to show what was happening. :whip: For some reason, he did not buy my innocent look of surprise and asking if he had put those pins into the lock. Nor would he believe that 'Maybe Mommy put them there'. :D

He is doing alright with spools, but serrated still give him troubles.

Gordon

BTW - My wife knows about as much about locks as I know about regional linguistic variations of Gaelic. (That is to say, not an awful lot.)

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock