FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

ABUS Rock 83/80 (European for Oval Cylinders)

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 pm

ABUS Rock 83/80 (European for Oval Cylinders)

ABUS Rock 83/80 (European version)

Got a new toy Friday direct from Germany.  (Thanks, Dicey!). An ABUS Rock 83/80.  

That small circular part at the bottom of the lock, above the retaining plate, is a spacer and spring to keep the lock cylinder straight in the lock body.  Being the European version, it takes an oval cylinder:

But it don't come with a lock cylinder.  Could put in in an ASSA D-12 from a friend in Finland, or an ASSA Twin, or other oval cylinders.

But instead, will put in the lock cylinder that was shipped along with the padlock...

Pfaffenhain Y14 Deltus! :hbg:  Am not planning on using this lock anytime in the near future (though it is tempting to put it on my suitcase with a camera on my next trip just to see the expressions on the TSA people :twisted: ), so not worried about showing the bitting.  Figured people here would like to see the keys.

Back of the lock cylinder...

The key bow

The bitting of the keys...

That small notch at the tip of the key is intentional - for the Deltus pin.

What?  You want to see the keyway?   :roll:  OK, if you must... :mrgreen:

And yes, the dimple pins are hidden above the lowest part of the key pins.  Guess that is to make access extra-interesting and fun. :-D  Have not tried to pick this lock yet, but will give it a shot soon.

There is another thread showing the pins if I remember correctly.  If I can't find it, will take it apart and show the guts of the lock cylinder later, if the is interest.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:04 am

Re: ABUS Rock 83/80 (European for Oval Cylinders)

:D

:drool: Now my turn to be completely jealous and totally lusting :drool:

Man, this is been on my hit list for ages now, and now I see it here in the flesh! Damn, that is one cool monster padlock. And it's shiny! Those Pfaffenhain cylinders are so tricky to find at an easy price. Damn! That key is a work of art.

My huge thanks for the photos, Gordon. Wonderful, wonderful!

I'm now going to the garden shed for a good cry.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:32 am

Thanks for the great pictures and explanation Gordon.

The Y14 should have just passive sidepins. I think you can pick this padlock without worring about the side pins and Deltus pin IF you don't turn the plug too far. Otherwise the Deltus pin would get trapped by the last driver. It could be interesting to check if it's possible to free it with a L shaped wire, or with a pick... but check it at your own risk :twisted:

Cheers :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:19 am

@MrAnybody - Feel the same way about some of the locks you post. You have some true beauties, sir. :drool:

@Femurat - Will field strip and photograph the pins, plug, and lock body, probably on my next day off. Think that since this lock cylinder only turns 90 degrees clockwise, the Deltus pin won't line up with the driver. Quite the opposite if the padlock required it to turn the other direction. Would rather find out the answer from a disassembled lock instead of from a drilled-to-release-the-trapped-pin lock. :wink:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Norseman

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 am

:drool:
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

You're right Gordon, you can ignore the Deltus pin too in this case. Looks like it was a poor choice to put it on that side of the keyway.

Cheers :)
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:48 pm

for reference this is the core that goes into the american version:

the same core as a 83/45 will fit in the US version of the abus rock 83/80

the body of the european and US padlocks are the pretty much the same. just the hole where the cylinder goes and the actuator are different.

thanks for the pix!
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Just added a thread comparing the North American and European versions of this lock.

Gordon
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks for the show. To stem my thirst of this Rock temporarily.... :drool: :drool: :drool:
- David
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock