FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Post pictures of your Locks (and Keys) with Moving Elements

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:00 am

Post pictures of your Locks (and Keys) with Moving Elements

Locks with Keys that use moving elements

Currently working on making a key for a Ministry of Works padlock.  Learned of this lock's existance from a picture Femurat posted. Bought one, and now I am trying to make a key for it. Will post all related info on how I went about making it when the key is done. But thought it would be interesting to have a topic for pictures of any and all locks requiring a key with a moving element.

Please post pictures of your locks (and keys) that have keys which require a moving element in the key in order to operate.  This means MTL Interactive, BiLock NG, ABLOY Protec 2, and all the other keys with moving parts.  

Anybody know the oldest key with a moving element?

Here is the MOW padlock, and the key which is still in process of being made and tested.

The key thus far:

And the moving part moved by my finger.  (The epoxy is still drying, and have not cut the pivot pin yet.)

So lets see what YOU have in your collection, or what you can find on the Internet. Not posting pics of all of my locks with moving elements yet so I am not the only person posting pictures on this topic. But YOU can post pics of all your locks with moving elements! Even if you only have a lock, but no key, or a key but no lock, post what you have. It might be fun to see if someone else has the type of lock or key to match (at least for pictures).

Does anybody have an original key to post for the MOW padlock above?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Post pictures of your Locks (and Keys) with Moving Eleme

I'll have to look... but I don't think I've anything to add really.

But I'm very excited to watch this thread :drool:

Should be interesting!

Thanks Gordon
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:47 am

Corbin Russwin Pyramid. Has a spring loaded element in the key that pushes down a check pin in the bottom of the plug.

Untitled.png

DSC07399.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Great one, Xeo. :-) Did not even know that lock/key existed. That is one of the reasons this topic was started.

Finally finished the key for the MOW padlock. :mrgreen: Here is the lock and key...

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm

That MOW looks like some serious noms.......
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Gordon, You should be a machinist or a tool and die guy with the skills you have!

Here's mine: Image
It's a utility meter lock!

The key:Image
The tip of the key spreads out to grab a pin in the lock plug, which allows the two ball bearings to fall back.

the lock with plug removed:Image

The lock was given to me by a utility employee, the key I got on Ebay. It isn't the "correct" key, but it works after I filed down the diameter a bit!
Lock is made by "Inner-Tite"
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm

So the pin in the plug is spring loaded inwards to hold the bearings, right?

Gordon
<<

PhoneMan

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Gordon, yes, there's a piece that pushes the bearings out, the key grabs this piece and pulls it back. the spring is really strong too!
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Nice utility lock! Someone gave me one a few years ago and I fashioned a key which worked much like the real one you have there to open it (key was not included with the lock I had). Sadly it's been lost to the sands of time.

Here is a Keso 2000 Omega (shown relicensed by LIPS). The dimple at the tip along the edge of the key is actually spring loaded. There is an active pin in the lock which blocks the plug if the there is no dimple in the key at this location. If a key is used which merely has a dimple drilled out where the active key component is the lock is supposed to bind yet again (I've not tested this yet):

The left-most key is an ordinary Keso 2000, key on right is the 2000 Omega. The lock shown is the non-omega, however it is identical to the Omega from the outside except for the Ohm symbol (can't find my Omega at the moment):

It's very hard to tell that I have the pin depressed in this photo:

Next up is the French Axira lock. For the most part it works similarly to a tubular lock however there is an interactive component in the center of the key. Of course this is because French patent law will not recognize patents for keyways unless something on the key moves.
<<

Wizer

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 am

plugspin wrote:...this is because French patent law will not recognize patents for keyways unless something on the key moves.

-Does this mean that one could factory produce all restricted/patented keyblanks in France?
:) Abloy Exec patent expired in Finland but since it was patented a year later worldwide, we cannot get blanks unless they´re made here.
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 am

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure. I heard this bit from Peter Field of Medeco so I can't say it's a fact, but coming from him it might as well be. I'm sure there's some kind of reciprocal agreement between EU members. There could be some silly situation like they recognize external patents but don't allow their own citizens to obtain new patents on keys without moving components. Or maby there's an unrealized market for manufacturing high security blanks in France just waiting to be tapped.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Another French lock...

Thirard Cobra M+

Key from the front. The moving element is the center post with the bottom 'leg'

And the moving element pressed in with a hook:

<<

thehunter

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Two of my four locks with moving elements.First a TESA TX80 with six active pins below, three passive pins up and two passive pins in angle below for the two balls of the key.
The second is a STS DOM IX with two rows of five pins below with an passive element for the ball of the key.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:58 am

The Vachette Radial NT. Made in France. There is a NT+ version, but the only difference in that is increased drilling protection.

The pin moves freely through the key in order to accommodate a reversible key.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:08 am

The FTH Thirard Atlantic M with 2 moving elements in the key.

A 9 to 19 pin mechanism enabling 191,000,000 combinations, and the usual anti-everything.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock