FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Schlage Everest.....

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Schlage Everest.....

Didn't what forum this really fit into but here it goes.

I remember some months back I heard that all new Schlage locks would eventually come with Everest keyways and they would phase out the C keyway as a standard. I'm starting to see evidence of that now out in the field but only with commercial locks so far. Does anyone know if that is ever going to happen to the residential hardware?
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Re: Schalge Everest.....

I roll by the locks section of Home Depot every time I'm there to see if they ever update their inventory. Its all Kwikset Smartkey and Schlage SecureKey still... then there are the normal Schalge SC1 cylinders. I have never seen an Everest in a store here.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 am

I would not surprise me that they are leaning more towards Everest for commercial, since they recently came out with the Everest 29 that is good until 2029...
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Just had a lockie friend give me this copy of the advertisement.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm

just keyed my first ten S124's today Gordan. the key blanks must be made " harder " they are garenteed for life, and sounded like they were killing my cutter blade
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:17 pm

It...it has a hole where there aught not be one. Are they trying for the Spyderco crowd? "if it doesn't have a hole, it doesn't have a soul"

Looks like it is just more of the same patent protection revolving of key control.

Here is the launch video, the info starts at about 2:35: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9VI6hvjwsQ
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I have one of these locks, got a sample from the local IR rep. Basically the only new thing is the keyways. They were able to get another patent because the keyways are milled differently...there are no new security features.
I have an Everest 29 flyer, will try to scan it on Monday.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:56 am

Josephus wrote:It...it has a hole where there aught not be one. Are they trying for the Spyderco crowd? "if it doesn't have a hole, it doesn't have a soul"

Looks like it is just more of the same patent protection revolving of key control.

Here is the launch video, the info starts at about 2:35: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9VI6hvjwsQ

The hole in the key is part of the milling process. It serves no function in the lock it just has to happen as part of the milling process, at least that is what I was told by a Schlage rep at the ALOA show last year. It was shortly after that show that I heard about Schlage phasing out the C keyway and making one of the Everest keyways the standard.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:46 am

Re: Schlage Everest.....

I talked to one of our distributors this week and he cleared it up for me. Schlage commercial now ships with the Everest C123 unless it is otherwise specified. Our distributor is still ordering and shipping the C keyway umless otherwise specified for the convenience of the locksmiths though. Which means it is mostly contractors who are installing C123 because they buy enough to get it direct from Schlage and dont care about the keyway. (not that I think it is bad for the C123 to replace the C)
<<

selim

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Schlage Everest.....

Same price too - :???:

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock