FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Servicing of US Reg'd Mail Padlocks

<<

MrPharmer2012

Doctor... Contributor
Doctor... Contributor

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 am

Servicing of US Reg'd Mail Padlocks

Im interested in seeing what the internal parts look like in these Mail Locks, from what I understand when these get to 9999 they must be serviced, does anyone know if there are instructions out there on how to go about this. or is it even possible without damaging the lock
Pics with keys
lock.jpg
lockkey.jpg

More good info and pics can be found here
http://restraintsblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/more-recent-mail-lock-auctions.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: Servicing of US Reg'd Mail Padlocks

If thats your padlock, then you got an amazingly rare 1800's padlock, but I dont think that's yours. Seems to me, that when these are put together, they are brazed and sealed. So "servicing them" would either be destructive, or, just scrapping the old one and replacing it with a new one. I have never ever, seen a serviced Reg'd Mail padlock. I have only seen serviced 1800's era padlocks and I believe they serviced them through the counter. The 1800's padlocks have a little brass flap that covers the counter, and typically when one is repaired/reset, they remove the flap, counter plate and do some other locksmith magic via that route. When they put it back together, they sometimes will just throw the protective brass flap away, because its just a bother anyways. If I dig up anymore reletive info, I'll be sure to let u know.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm

if the serial number on the lock has a "R" before the number, it's been reconditioned. so they are serviceable. i can ask a guy but he might not know.
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

MrPharmer2012

Doctor... Contributor
Doctor... Contributor

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Sounds. Good I was just curious those are not my locks I just threw them on here because it had pic of key

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock