FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need Help with Skeleton Key Lock

<<

WolfSpirit292

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Need Help with Skeleton Key Lock

My husband and I just purchased a 1930 home. The thing we love about this house is that while it has been updated, all the old hardwood and character has been preserved. Including the front door which is a giant slab of hardwood with a nice antique skeleton key lock. We love this aspect and have no plans to change it, however we encountered a hickup in the lock that we need a proffesional opinion on. We want to fix it properly in order to perserve the lock (and the door itself).

Here is the hickup. Everything locks and unlocks fine, but the outside doorknob has either been broken or simply made to not turn anymore. So while we can unlock the door, from the outside we can't get in because the knob will not turn. How could we fix this?
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Need Help with Skeleton Key Lock

a picture is worth a thousand words.
<<

WolfSpirit292

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Already tried to add a photo but it won't let me (I'm on my phone).
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:18 am

I was going to say is it possible for a picture :salute:
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Where are you in Ohio? Maybe I can help you, I'm in Dayton.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Sometimes the key turns a little farther to retract the latch. Usually on bit locks the spindle breaks or two revolutions of the key is required. One turn retracts the square deadbolt and the second turn unlocks the knob. Hope this helps.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:49 pm

The two things i love to do most is locks and renovating houses. i would love to see some pictures of both if you could manage it.
(the door lock and the house its on)
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

WolfSpirit292

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:57 am

I'm so sorry all. I didn't recieve an alert that I had gotten any more replies till this last one just now. I got an email saying about the first reply, but then no other emails came till this last one. Sorry if you guys thought I was blowing you off. Here, let me read your thoughts...
<<

WolfSpirit292

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:02 am

Mastersmith, I'm actually outside Youngstown, so it's a bit far for you. I appreciate the offer though.

Jailersmith, I'll try turning it twice while I'm outside and see if that does it. I know that when I'm inside I only have to turn it once, but maybe it's set up differently for the outside? I'll give it a shot though and post back the results.
<<

WolfSpirit292

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Jailersmith, Well I tried the suggestion but that wasn't it. It stopped allowing to turn after one rotation- as I assume it's supposed to.

For everyone, if there's any more information that would help you out, just let me know. I am no locksmith, obviously, so I only put things in my original post I thought would be helpful. So, other than a picture (I'll try getting to the library to try uploading from an actual computer), let me know what other info may help.
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Its hard to say without a picture but it sounds like your just going to have to take the thing off the door and take it apart. If its a mortise lock then your in for a fun time, take pictures every step of the way so you remember how it goes back together.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:38 am

has this issue been resolved? if so, how? if not, does the door have two buttons on the edge of the door? where the bolt comes out. sometimes that just needs the other button to be depressed.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock