FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old Medeco Series 50 - how to disassemble?

<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Old Medeco Series 50 - how to disassemble?

OK, one for you North American guys. I found a pair of ancient Medeco padlocks for sale here in New Zealand, Lord knows where they came from because there isn't a Medeco dealer in the whole country.

1. Are these in fact Series 50, or are they called something else?

2. Approximate age?

3. Literally the only documentation on them that I've been able to find online is this Imgur pic: https://imgur.com/a/U55GN No picking videos, no teardowns, nothing. Does anyone have any other reaources?

4. My locks don't appear to disassemble as per the sheet above. A 1/16 allen key removes the shackle happily enough but as far as I can see the locking balls are captive - I can't see a way to get the first one out (the one that should, in theory, only be held in by the shackle and should fall out when the shackle is removed.) Tried whacking the body. Tried pulling the ball with a magnet. The ball rattles and is free enough, but it really does look like the hole is a smaller diameter than the diameter of the ball. Am I missing soimething? Do they need a special key to rotate the core counterclockwise like the Medeco-cored S&G locks? Were there different versions of these things?

Any help gratefully received. Pics for reference.

Michael.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:45 pm

Re: Old Medeco Series 50 - how to disassemble?

After you remove the shackle, what happens if you depress the retainer cap and turn the key? Should pop the balls out if they are stuck. The one that should fall out first might be peened in slightly if the top of the lock was hit
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Re: Old Medeco Series 50 - how to disassemble?

Riyame wrote:After you remove the shackle, what happens if you depress the retainer cap and turn the key? Should pop the balls out if they are stuck. The one that should fall out first might be peened in slightly if the top of the lock was hit

Nothing. Turned out that a million years worth of crud was the cause, I got it sorted in the end. Lovely old locks these.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock