FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Shaw Walker safe - request from Chile

<<

luisaguayo

Post Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:05 pm

Shaw Walker safe - request from Chile

I have and old Shaw Walker safe from my family with around 100 years old and I have 5 (safe related) numbers in a notebook but no idea how to use it and open the safe.

I have been trying some methods but no luck yet. I have been trying to open using the 5 numbers, 4 and 3 in very combinations, dialing right-left, etc.

I have and sthetoscope and I have been trying to find how many wheels the combination has with no luck neither.

Can you give me some help or tips about how to open it?

Thanks for your concern,
Last edited by luisaguayo on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Shaw Walher safe - request from Chile

Do you have some photos for us to identify the safe and lock?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:17 pm

I'm thinking it has a Yale lock, but don't know which one. Shot in the dark.
Now thinking S-W and Safe Cabinets are same line. The lock may be an OC-5.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

luisaguayo

Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:41 am

Hi,

This are the pictures, let me know if you need something else to identify the safe.

I wasn't able to insert images, but I included a link to the google picture album. I was able tu put a picture of the dial as my avatar.

Thans for your help.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gjsiVkBc39g1Jwi79
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:46 pm

I have no idea what you have there. It looks to me like a fire safe and fire safes most often have not more than three wheels. 5 numbers is quite a lot for this. Can you still turn the dial, when you turn the handle? Or does it get stuck?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

luisaguayo

Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Dial it's moving, handle doesn't move but it doesn't seems to be stuck.

This safe was working fine, last time opened +- 2 years ago but my aunt dies without show me how to open it.

Thanks again
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Laymen have sometimes for us funny ways to note down combinations with information we see as completely normal and unnoteworthy. On of these things is the number where the dial stops when it is open. My guess is that is the case here, because otherwise I don't know how to get up to 5 numbers.

Have you tried following?
Turn right until the first number is (at least) the fifth time at the dial mark and stop there precisely (no turning back).
Turn left until the second number is (exactly) the fourth time at the dial mark and stop there precisely (no turning back).
Turn right until the third number is (exactly) the third time at the dial mark and stop there precisely (no turning back).
Turn left until the fourth number is (exactly) the second time at the dial mark and stop there precisely (no turning back).
Turn right tail the fifth number is (exactly) the first time at the dial mark and stop there.
My guess is that the lock stops at the fifth number without much ado by yourself if it is the correct combination.

If that doesn't work, try the other direction (LRLRL instead of RLRLR).

You could also try to ignore the last two numbers and dial it as a three-number lock, i.e. 4xL to first number, 3xR to second number, 2xL to third number, right to stop. (Or reverse)

If that doesn't work, please show us a photo of the numbers as they were noted. Perhaps we can get a clue from it. I didn't find any information on your safe model other than that it might be related to Meilink safes.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 am

'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:48 pm

<<

luisaguayo

Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Wow, incredible to find the same dial mechanism. Thanks a lot.

I will try to contact the owners.

No luck yet, the numbers in the notebook are:

41-60-83-89-99

My aunt used to look theses numbers in the notebook to open the safe, but no idea how to use these numbers.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:10 pm

41-60-83-89-99

I would try
60-83-89
89-83-60
06-38-98
98-38-06 (though 06 may be in the contact area)

Not being certain of the lock, I would try each with left-right-left rotation, and also in right-left-right rotation.

Turn dial several times and stop on the first number. Reverse direction, pass the second number twice and stop when the dial lands on the second number the third time. Reverse direction again, and pass the third number once, and stop when the dial lands on the third number the second time. (Like my user name L4 R3 L2)
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Oour very own Oldfast has a few of these. https://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=7432&p=95066
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:00 pm

That's the Mosler B-103. Three wheels, three numbers, first wheel right.

My guess: 4xL to 41, 3xR to 60, 2xL to 83, 1xR to 89, L to stop at 99.

Reasons:
1) To many numbers for three wheels.
2) Last number in a to long combination is often the location where it stops. That would be 99. 99 is probably at the correct location.
3) Oldfast gives the rotational conversion for W3 as 6.5, which is the difference between 83 and 89. L83 is the same as R89, but R83/L89 would not fit.
4) L83 is the normal rotation for W3. So perhaps 41-60-83 are the numbers for a standard dialing sequence L-R-L and afterwards comes the direction conversion and stop.

PS: When you have it open, you should really simplify it to the proper dialing direction. With Oldfasts information this should be about R58-L48-R89. I guess in the back cover is a hole at an appropriate place to watch the wheels while you operate the dial.
<<

luisaguayo

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Not lucky yet, @squelchtone has also been trying to help me trough twitter but it seems we are missing something.

I was trying to find "The art of manipulation" book with no luck but I will read some other.

some notes:

The safe it's a in low noise environment so it's easy to ear any tick
When dialing it's easy to feel and ear the ticks when a wheel get engaged and some other ticks I supose could be CP, etc.
When dialing a tick it's very clear at 41, the first number, what this could mean?

Thanks for your help, I will keep trying, don't want to drill, I want to open it and turn it to use it properly again.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:12 pm

You are probably referring to this: https://autolocksmithusa.com/wp-content ... tion-1.pdf

In nearly all locks it is not possible to hear a gate, because the drive cam holds the lever at a distance from the wheels. In old locks with a lot of wear it can happen that the drive cam wears down and the lever is always in contact with the wheels and can then bump when it runs over a gate. In which direction does 41 tick? One? Both? Does it tick at a different location the other direction?
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock