FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Keys made for macgng's Supra Titan

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:10 am

Keys made for macgng's Supra Titan

Made a couple of keys for Macgng. The locks are Supra Titan, and are made only for fire departments. Won't go into details on the lock, other than to say it is a disc detainer and the keys are a b#### to make. To make it clear - neither the key to my lock nor the ones I made for macgng have the same bitting the lock originally had. Swapped the discs around before making the keys so as to not risk the actual key code for a fire department. None of the locks I made keys for were from either my local area or macgng's local area. They were eBay purchases.

The lock looks like this. (The lock in the pic is mine, not Mac's).

The key looks like this (the key is for my lock so as to not show Mac's bitting)

And the keys I made work (though one is a little fiddly) in Mac's locks (these are his)

Gordon
Last edited by GWiens2001 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Keys made for macgng's Supra Titan

Nice work Gordon. What type of material did you use for them?
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks, Doogs. Used 1/2" round steel stock from Home Depot.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

pmaxey83

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:26 am

Someone get this man a mill!!!!! I could only imagine what he'd spit out >:-D
jeffmoss26: pardon my ignorance to the real world, but what started all this mess in B'more
jeffmoss26: it's bad enough that city has the Ravens

(14:36:27) MBI: I was here for 2 seconds once.
(14:36:27) MBI: kthxbai
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:18 pm

Curious about the dimensional relationships.

Would it be possible to use a cut down segment of appropriate ID/OD tubing and then sleeve it onto a turned down portion of round stock to act as the handle? Seems like it could require less stock removal.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not taking anything away from your work, you've done an awesome job. I'm merely pondering an alternate approach to this problem.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Very nice! thanks man. can't wait
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:38 pm

Rumball Solutions wrote:Curious about the dimensional relationships.

Would it be possible to use a cut down segment of appropriate ID/OD tubing and then sleeve it onto a turned down portion of round stock to act as the handle? Seems like it could require less stock removal.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not taking anything away from your work, you've done an awesome job. I'm merely pondering an alternate approach to this problem.

Rumball,

No problem. It is by sharing ideas that we reach conclusions that would otherwise be beyond us. Always feel free to offer suggestions and insights, or question my methods. Plenty of places to bury a body here in the desert. :twisted:

While your idea has merit for some applications, it would not work on this lock because of the sharp goose-neck of the shoulder where the bow and the key blade meet. 90 degree angles, depth of .079" (2 mm), but the material thickness at the shoulder is only .030" (.76mm). So there is a section that rises up that is only .76mm thick (and 1.75mm tall), forms a 90 degree turn outwards, extends outward with a thickness of .76mm (for 2mm) then forms another 90 degree turn and forms the main part of the key blade with a thickness of about 1mm.

So the point is that the material is too thin (yet needs strength) for joining sleeves. My first attempts at a key for my box a while back were using brass and aluminum stock. They could not maintain rigidity when cut that thin. So steel was the only option, and it needed to be one piece for strength.

Great idea. Nice thinking outside the box. :)

Gordon
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:01 pm

Niiiice!
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Very cool! Love your work, interesting lock too. Nice :)
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Very nice! Man..I miss workin with metals down in my lab..you guys are an inspiration as usual. Sidenote: don't but a wireless dremel >:|
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:19 pm

rerun12 wrote:Very nice! Man..I miss workin with metals down in my lab..you guys are an inspiration as usual. Sidenote: don't but a wireless dremel >:|

One was given to me as a gift a while back. Have to agree with you... the wired is so much better. Made the key with a wired one.

Gordon
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:00 am

I've had a wireless dremal for a long time but I randomly picked up a wired one the other day to try and get a project going, will be getting the Dremal workstation to fit it too as well. Glad to know my purchase wasn't a waste! I honestly prefer wired stuff, it's always got more umph behind it and lasts longer. Like wired vs battery drills.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks Gordon, your reply helped me to understand the constraints better. Agreed, based on the dimensions stated, stock removal as you did is best solution.

Don't you sometimes wish you had a mini steel foundry! It would be so much easier to rough cast and finish things. I'm exploring the idea of some brass and aluminium casting on small scale at the moment.

As for rotary tools, wired is the way to go for sure. I have two wired dremels because it saves changing bits sometimes. As for cordless, they're often quite anemic. The exception being the Milwaukee M12 fuel cordless rotary tool. I bought one for fitting strikes, adjusting door preps and cutting padlock shackles when in the field. It handles like a dremel, just with significantly more grunt! Definitely not a quiet tool though.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Rumball Solutions wrote:Thanks Gordon, your reply helped me to understand the constraints better. Agreed, based on the dimensions stated, stock removal as you did is best solution.

Don't you sometimes wish you had a mini steel foundry! It would be so much easier to rough cast and finish things. I'm exploring the idea of some brass and aluminium casting on small scale at the moment.

As for rotary tools, wired is the way to go for sure. I have two wired dremels because it saves changing bits sometimes. As for cordless, they're often quite anemic. The exception being the Milwaukee M12 fuel cordless rotary tool. I bought one for fitting strikes, adjusting door preps and cutting padlock shackles when in the field. It handles like a dremel, just with significantly more grunt! Definitely not a quiet tool though.

I have a small foundry in the back yard. My son and I melt down aluminum from bad parts at work (I am a mechanic by trade) and do sand casting. :)

Gordon
<<

macgng

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:53 pm

here are some more pictures of the Supra Titan Lock Boxes:

Box my locks came out of:

Realtor Style Box, Looks vintage, pretty sure they don't make these anymore:

Only picture on google i could find of a key (and not a good pic :( ) :
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock